Wine Wineasio woes, regsrv32: command not found

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fizzlepop
Established Member

Wine Wineasio woes, regsrv32: command not found

Post by fizzlepop »

I think I somehow hosed Wine. I had Wine and Wineasio installed for running Reaper. Everything was working, albeit performance issues, so I started trying things. In my destruction, I installed Cadence which pulled in Jack2 and other packages, removing Jack in the process. I couldn't get Jack2 to see my audio device so I uninstalled Cadence and Jack2 and reinstalled Jack. Now jack doesn't see my audio device either. I figured that maybe it's a problem with Wineasio and I tried to register Wineasio via, regsrv32 wineasio. I'm getting, regsrv32: command not found.

Anyone here ran into this problem before? Any clues on where to start investigating the problem? I have uninstalled and reinstalled Wine and Wineasio, but it makes no difference.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Re: Wine Wineasio woes, regsrv32: command not found

Post by fizzlepop »

For some reason (I don't know why) reinstalling wine and wineasio again seems to have solved the problem. I was able to register winasio this time, which I couldn't do the first time that I reinstalled wine and wineasio. Hooray!?
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

A typo?

regsrv32 not found

But

regsvr32

should work.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

Pablo wrote:A typo?

regsrv32 not found

But

regsvr32

should work.
Just a typo in my post. I did get Jack working again, but I quickly ran into some other problems. Using Jack (version 1) I can only run a handful of tracks and plugins before xruns start to cause problems. I figured that since Jack 2 has SMP support, I would use it instead. After getting Cadence and Ardour 5.4 installed (which pulled in Jack 2), my audio interface will not run full duplex with Jack 2. I tried using ALSA instead with the same result. When I had Jack 1 installed, both ALSA and Jack 1 worked full duplex with my interface for both Reaper and Ardour 4.7.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

So, after testing Ardour 5.4 with Jack 1 (it works as expected), there seems to be a problem with my interface when installing Jack 2. My interface will not run full duplex with when Jack 2 is installed. This also affects ALSA. I should also add that this is likely not an issue with Wine or Wineasio.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

Ok, so this time around, I removed Cadence, which removed Jack 2 and Ardour 5. I reinstalled Jack and Ardour 5, and tested. Everything worked as expected. I then reinstalled Jack 2 directly, not installing Cadence and letting it pull in Jack 2. So now Jack 2 runs and ALSA runs with my interface, full duplex and Ardour 5 is happy. I can only guess that something which Cadence pulled in was causing the problem.

So onto getting Reaper to run with Jack 2. I installed Wineasio from the AUR, which wanted to pull in Jack 1. I edited the PKGBUILD, changing the dependency on jack to jack2. The Wineasio install pulled in lib32-jack. Maybe I should have edited that, too. Any way, Reaper still does not connect to Jack 2.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

This has to be a problem with Wineasio. So I reinstalled Wineasio, editing the PKGBUILD to change jack to jack2 and lib32-jack to lib32-jack2. Reaper now connects to Jack 2, but it will not run. I checked Ardour 5 just in case, and everything is fine there.

When starting Reaper, I get constant xruns with this error:
JackEngine::XRun: client = reaper was not finished, state = Triggered
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
Any ideas?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I would recommend you use manjaro as a secondary system for now, and with a fresh install,
and switch to AVlinux for audio, as all these audio details are set up correctly for you,
and you can get on with music production, and let the arch learning curve idle for a month or two.
Install AV on a used drive in a $20 external case, still more fun
than slogging it out when there is no need to.

xruns can be ignored, unless they are audible. But there may be an issue with your cpu
not running at it's highest speed when you need it. The arch forum probably has
topics/tutorials regarding cpufreq and power management.
The correct word for your cpufreq setting could be processor exclusive
if it's an i7, as the commonly selected choice could be ignored by a few cpu's

A text file, /etc/securitylimits.conf

should conclude with these lines:

@audio hard rtprio 99
@audio hard memlock unlimited
@audio hard nice -19

The 99 setting allows audio to dominate other processes if you also
configure qjackctl priority setting to it's (different) maximum of 89

and you, (your system user) must be a member of the audio group

run the groups command to verify that.

What is your audio interface and system specs? This information will help
people who have passed through similar situations.
A poorly supported interface should be sold or traded, and a known working model installed.

Some reaper versions around 5.11 had serious wine issues, so I rolled back to 5.04
Now reaper 5.27 seems OK
Cheers
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

glowrak guy, I had the same issue with my audio interface and jack2 on AVLinux and Debian many months ago. Something happens between my interface and jack2 that just completely hoses full duplex for both alsa and jack. But I have it working now in Manjaro after much fiddling. In Manjaro using pacman, I have to install qjackctl (pulls in jack), then install jack2 (by the way, installing cadence also hoses my interface for full duplex). This works in Ardour 5, where installing jack2 without having jack1 installed first doesn't work. Then after installing wineasio, Reaper will not connect to jack2. But if I edit the PKGBUILD before installing wineasio, changing the dependencies from jack to jack2 and lib32-jack to lib32-jack2, Reaper will connect, but it won't run, resulting in a steady series of xruns. Edit: I should clarify here that changing the wineasio dependency from jack to jack2 will result in Reaper connecting to jack, but it will not run. Changing lib32-jack to lib32-jack2 results in no apparent change.

I have been through the permissions and group stuff, and everything is ok there. By the way, according to the jack FAQ, there is no need for the line: nice -19. http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html See: 1. Editing the configuration file

Also, on Arch and Arch-based distros, this is the correct config file for editing: /etc/security/limits.d/99-realtime.conf
The Jack FAQ also mentions that the group name is arbitrary. It could be called audio, realtime, or whatever you like.

Here is what I'm running (or attempting to):

i7 sandybridge laptop
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra interface
Manjaro 64-bit
Wine 64-bit (32-bit prefix)
wineasio
Reaper 4.78 32-bit (some of my vst plugins are 32-bit only)

Also, I should mention that I had already used the Arch wiki for cpu frequency scaling information. Setting my cpu from 'powersave' to 'performance' via cpupower did initially prevent my cpu frequency from scaling down drastically, but at the moment it doesn't seem to be working. I have made power changes here and there (including in the bios) and I will need to revisit this after getting the other issues squared away. Cpu frequency scaling is at the end of the list of concerns for now.
Last edited by fizzlepop on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

I should also mention that for at least the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra audio interface, I haven't seen the above info mentioned anywhere on the net. Specifically, I mean that it will only run full duplex with jack (not jack2). But at least on Manjaro when installing through pacman, first installing qjackctl then jack2 (avoiding candence) will get it working full duplex with jack2. From there, getting wineasio and Reaper working is another issue that I haven't yet worked out.

I also mentioned somewhere above that installing jack2 (without first having installed qjackctl) prevents this interface from running full duplex with alsa, even when jackdmp (jack2) isn't running. That is another isssue.

In short for future readers: If you are having problems with the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra connecting to jack for use with Ardour and other native linux software, try removing jack, installing qjackctl, then installing jack2. It worked for me on Manjaro.

If anyone can help in figuring out why this is the case, I would be glad to start from scratch, documenting any necessary info along the way.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

The issue you're having with jack1 and jack2 and installing in different ways certainly sounds strange.
The problem you're having with reaper though I have also experienced, also with manjaro. It was a while ago now an I don't think I managed to solve it - I had had a few other problems with manjaro and decided to ditch it and try kxstudio instead. Sure enough it worked perfectly. I'm now using kde neon with kxstudio repos and reaper works perfectly. Not sure what the problem could be but maybe something is wrong with the pkgbuilds and/or packages themselves.
I have a vague memory of there being some kind of problem with 64bit jack and 32 bit libraries, I remember falktx mentioning it, but I don't know the details or what became of it.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

sysrqer wrote:The issue you're having with jack1 and jack2 and installing in different ways certainly sounds strange.
The problem you're having with reaper though I have also experienced, also with manjaro. It was a while ago now an I don't think I managed to solve it - I had had a few other problems with manjaro and decided to ditch it and try kxstudio instead. Sure enough it worked perfectly. I'm now using kde neon with kxstudio repos and reaper works perfectly. Not sure what the problem could be but maybe something is wrong with the pkgbuilds and/or packages themselves.
I have a vague memory of there being some kind of problem with 64bit jack and 32 bit libraries, I remember falktx mentioning it, but I don't know the details or what became of it.
Thanks for that. I think you got me onto something promising: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15742&p=71362&hili ... sio#p71362

falktx says in that thread that 32-bit Reaper doesn't work (for whatever reason). So maybe I can run 64-bit and run my 32-bit plugins bridged in Reaper.

One caveat on what was said in that thread. Reaper 32-bit does run with 64-bit linux and 64-bit wine with jack 1, but I could not get it to run with jack 2.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

Woo ha, it's working. Now to test latency and see if I can decrease the xruns at a lower buffer setting.