[SOLVED] M-Audio Mini Midi Keyboard not plug & play?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

NunudZik
Established Member

[SOLVED] M-Audio Mini Midi Keyboard not plug & play?

Post by NunudZik »

Hey there!

I'm (rather) new to Linux and a noob in music making, and I have just heard about LMMS and QTractor...

I thought I should give them a try, and so I went out a bought a small USB Midi Keyboard... The model I chose is supposed to be totally plug and play in Linux... Loads of people seem to have had no problem getting sound right off the bat... Not so on my setup apparently! :?

When I got the keyboard (It's this one here), I plugged it to the USB port, lauched LMMS, and clicked the Triple Oscillator tab to give it a try, but nothing happened...

So here I am asking you guys for help! 8)

I'm using an Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 distro... Any ideas on how to get my keyboard to work, please?...

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!
Last edited by NunudZik on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luc
Established Member

Re: M-Audio Mini Midi Keyboard not plug & play?

Post by Luc »

Install a program called Catia, it's very useful. Make sure JACK is running, run Catia and see if you can spot your keyboard in it.

If not (or even before that), check the output of 'lsusb' on a terminal.
NunudZik
Established Member

Re: M-Audio Mini Midi Keyboard not plug & play?

Post by NunudZik »

Hey thanks for your answer!

I'll check those Catia and Jack programs tomorrow...

But I came across this video, and it seems to have done the trick: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eyloKqnJIo"

I still don't see how one could switch from one instrument to the other without having to actually remove the first one, but I can play sounds now! :mrgreen:

Thanks again!
bartovan
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] M-Audio Mini Midi Keyboard not plug & play?

Post by bartovan »

Is there any way to make an M-Audio Keystation (I have the Mini 32) appear in Claudia itself? It's a pity that I have to launch Catia (or the QJackCtl Connect window) only to connect my keyboard. All the rest works fine from within Claudia.

I tried following the "MIDI on Linux" page in the Ardour manual, which says to execute

Code: Select all

a2jmidid -e
but that makes MIDI ports appear as "FAILED" in Claudia.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Try clicking Tools -> ALSA-MIDI Bridge -> Start Bridge.
bartovan
Established Member

Post by bartovan »

Luc wrote:Try clicking Tools -> ALSA-MIDI Bridge -> Start Bridge.
That makes the MIDI Through visible in Claudia, but not my M-Audio Keystation. I'd like to see my M-Audio Keystation itself appear in Claudia.

I can only see my M-Audio Keystation in Catia or in the QJackCtl Connections (ALSA tab). So apart from Claudia, which is my main session management tool, I still have to open either Catia or QJackCtl just for this one connection (M-Audio Keystation output to Midi Through input).
bartovan
Established Member

Post by bartovan »

What does work, to make my M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 show up in Claudia, is to add in QJackCtl Setup > Options

a2jmidid -e &
in the "Execute script after Startup" field. (And not start the ALSA MIDI bridge in Claudia).

When I then start Jack using QJackCtl, and open up Claudia, a few extra MIDI inputs and outputs appear in Claudia, including my keystation.
It does say "FAILED a2j" (see image), but when I connect the MIDI out of my keystation to the MIDI in of an Ardour MIDI track, it works.
failed_a2j.png
failed_a2j.png (59.6 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
bartovan
Established Member

Post by bartovan »

I just received an answer and solution to the FAILED a2j problem in this thread.
Use 'a2j -e' instead of 'a2jmidid -e'.
The 1st option enables dbus, which is needed for ladish.
If I put

a2j -e
in QjackCtl > Setup > Options > "Execute script after Startup", it works perfectly, my M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 is now visible and pluggable in Claudia. Very cool! Linux rocks! 8)
NunudZik
Established Member

Post by NunudZik »

I have no idea what you are talking about, as I am very new to all of this, but I'm happy you got the keyboard to work! It's a neat little keyboard! 8)
shaulreznik

Post by shaulreznik »

Install the drivers:

sudo apt-get install midisport-firmware