Mint LMDE & kxstudio repos issues SOLVED

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

telmo
Established Member

Mint LMDE & kxstudio repos issues SOLVED

Post by telmo »

Hi everybody,
I'm in a little trouble here. I have a fresh installed Mint LMDE with https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... o1_all.deb on top of it, and of course i found it on the official page: http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Repositories
I thought everything was running great but i think I'm having a problem with updating kxstudio-repos which seems not to be working as it should. After each update I have an error message about ppa (i installed the .deb) Another problem is when i check in the app manager, Carla, for example, appears as not installed, but it is, although it's not the same version. So updating is not working for me I think. I'm not a pro so if someone could help me, it would be great. Sorry for my bad english.
Last edited by telmo on Tue May 26, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telmo
Established Member

Re: Mint LMDE & kxstudio repos issues

Post by telmo »

Hi FalkTX,
here's the original message (french) : E: kxstudio-repos: le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1

When I check the details about this error, here's what i 've got :
(synaptic:4785): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed
(Lecture de la base de données... 189509 fichiers et répertoires déjà installés.)
Préparation du dépaquetage de .../lmms-vst-full_2%3a1.1.3-1kxstudio2_i386.deb ...
Dépaquetage de lmms-vst-full (2:1.1.3-1kxstudio2) sur (2:1.1.3-1kxstudio1.1) ...
Paramétrage de kxstudio-repos (8.2.1~kxstudio1) ...
OK
OK
L'ajout de PPA n'est pas pris en charge
dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet kxstudio-repos (--configure) :
le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1
Paramétrage de lmms-vst-full (2:1.1.3-1kxstudio2) ...
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
kxstudio-repos
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Échec de l'installation d'un paquet. Tentative de récupération :
Paramétrage de kxstudio-repos (8.2.1~kxstudio1) ...
OK
OK
L'ajout de PPA n'est pas pris en charge
dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet kxstudio-repos (--configure) :
le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
kxstudio-repos
"L'ajout de PPA n'est pas pris en charge" means "Adding PPAs is not supported"

I have this message whatever the update is. It's annoying !
you probably have carla-git installed, which is fine.
You're right !I have Carla-git! Thanks for your help.
telmo
Established Member

Re: Mint LMDE & kxstudio repos issues

Post by telmo »

This is what I don't understand: it installed everything but PPAs won't work ???!!!
That is truly weird :o BTW It's a debian based mint distro and I thought kxstudio-repos were supposed to fit any debian based distro? I must have missed something. :?: Should I go back to the ubuntu based one?

And what about this line? :
Is it still about ppas?
Thanks a lot for the great work you do.
Até breve.
telmo
Established Member

Re: Mint LMDE & kxstudio repos issues SOLVED

Post by telmo »

I installed the last .deb and then the last update and no more problems here! Thank you! You rock! :D
Gwyndaf
Established Member

Post by Gwyndaf »

I've been using the kxstudio-repos .deb package with LMDE for some months and it's been fine. But, just flagging that the new LMDE2 doesn't seem happy updating to 8.2.3

Code: Select all

Setting up kxstudio-repos (8.2.3~kxstudio1) ...
OK
OK
Adding PPAs is not supported
dpkg: error processing package kxstudio-repos (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kxstudio-repos
I suspect this is a problem with LMDE2, as I'd upgraded from LMDE1 a few days before the kxstudio-repos 8.2.3 update came through.
But, I'm still getting regular kxstudio updates, which suggest that it's happy to use the existing PPA sources from kxstudio-repos 8.2.2 package.

On the other hand, another machine running Debian Jessie (on which LMDE2 is based) seems to upgrade kxstudio-repos to 8.2.3 with no complaint. So, I'm a little baffled as to why it works with Debian, but not LMDE2. I'll carry on trying to make sense of this and will post back here if I find anything useful.
Gwyndaf
Established Member

Post by Gwyndaf »

Thanks. Tried that and no difference, as /etc/debian_version was already there.

But I tried installing the kxstudio-repos_8.2.2 package and that seemed to work without any problems. I took a look inside both package versions, and think this may stem from the postinst script.

The "PPAs is not supported" error seems to come from the $ADD_REPO line (84 in 8.2.2, 82 in 8.2.3), which invokes add-apt-repository to add a ppa (which LMDE2 won't). But it looks like the 8.2.2 postinst script exits before then, if it's a Debian distro (lines 64-66 in 8.2.2 test for /etc/debian_version); however this test is missing in 8.2.3, so it doesn't exit, and tries to add a ppa.

My bash knowledge is clunky, so that may or may not be a correct or helpful analysis.

I still don't know why 8.2.3 seems to install fine on the Debian Jessie system, but will take a look tomorrow, now I've a better idea of what I'm looking for.
Gwyndaf
Established Member

Post by Gwyndaf »

OK. As far as I can tell, there's no problem with the repos themselves being updated (though they seem unchanged between 8.2.2 and 8.2.3 anyway). But it leaves the installer in a 'confused' state, and it continues to throw up errors with every software update. So, that quick fix might well do the job if it makes for an error-free completion.

I've a spare machine running LMDE2, so very happy to test this out if that's helpful.
Gwyndaf
Established Member

Post by Gwyndaf »

kxstudio-repos 8.3.0 just appeared in my updates, and seems to have fixed this. Big thanks!