POL/Wineasio/Ableton - cracks/pops/clicks noises when playin

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ishaybas

POL/Wineasio/Ableton - cracks/pops/clicks noises when playin

Post by ishaybas »

Hi,

I have manged to get Ableton 8 and 9 to work with POL, Jack and Wineasio with my M-audio MobilePre USB audio interface. My only problem is that when the music is playing, and I am using 128 or 256 frames per period, I get lots of cracks and pops noises. IK Multimedia Amplitube 3 on stand alone mode works perfectly with this configuration, as well as Ardour with the same Jack and audio interface at 128 frames per period.

Giving priority 99 and nice -20 to jack and the wineserver did not help resolve the problem.

It seems as if the noises are somewhat related to changes on the screen itself, since when a window is opened or refreshed, or the level meters change faster, I can hear more noises, but there are noises even if I minimize everything and just stare at the desktop.

I am using Lubuntu 14.04 with LXDE, Wine 1.5.25, and the latest Wineasio from kxstudio repository - 0.9.0+git20110613-2kxstudio1.

Any ideas what should I be checking next?

I am finding POL, Wine and Wineasio to be super..!!! hate to have a dual installation of Windows just for Ableton...

Thank you!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: POL/Wineasio/Ableton - cracks/pops/clicks noises when pl

Post by glowrak guy »

:shock: :? :shock: where to start...
competing irq's on system bus
unwanted hardware activity by network, bluetooth, webcam, screensaver (shut off in bios or config)
video card/driver issues
khz settings mismatch somewhere in the chain of apps
periods/buffer setting that is not 3 (choose 3 for usb audio devices)
Issues with installed usb libs, unknown status of usb ports, bad cables, weak bus supplied power,
(try to get a 3.14 kernel for usb improvements)
and test the device on a different computer, or competing live cd's
make sure pulse is innactive, if not removed. It's lib may be considered a dependency,
so you'll choose to keep or delete, based on your needs.

qjackctl jackd priority maximum is 89 if limits.conf is 99
Try 60 or 70 if it's already 89,

look in htop, to see if something is running, or polling hardware, without you starting it,
and kill them off as needed, after learning the who-what-why of it.

Wine 1.4 is also good luck, when troubleshooting.

Try the guitar after a fresh boot, with 3 or more instances of rakarrack, you should be able to
choose busy presets without noise or cpu clogging. Shut them down, and start amplitube,
build a complex chain in hq mode, one busy instance should be OK.
Then reboot, and try Ableton with a boatload of it's
own supplied effects, then add the amplitube plugin. If noises return at some point,
you've at least narrowed things down for the hunt.

The amd/nvidia video issues are tidal in nature, it can take a while read the state of affairs
for your exact setup. If a demanding 3d game has pristine sound, you know at least
that your hardware is strong enough, and working at that level. Onboard sound and video should
die in the bios, and be blacklisted, if you have superior special hardware, like the maudio.
(some kernel modules are built-in, and ignore the blacklist) Cheers
Good luck!