Jack problems

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Jack problems

Post by bluebell »

I am afraid you need some very basic ALSA knowledge. With all its bells and whistles in /usr/share/alsa it's complicated. But simply start with alsamixer and F6 where you can select the audio interfaces built-in and connected to your system. aplay -l and aplay -L will help, too.

Without understanding your devices you'll always have trouble with jack.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Just wondering if their is a way to use my onboard soundcard for playing regular multimedia stuff and then use Jack for the Scarlett. I guess the ability to use both in tandem? The USB Scarlett 2i2 seems to blow out the regular onboard card, I can't adjust the sound in any non-jack related applications, like the media player and even the system sound.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Yes, that's a very elegant way: Using one audio hardware for ALSA clients and the other for jack.

Nevertheless you have to understand the device naming scheme in ALSA and some basic knowledge how to select them.

If your onboard sound is hw:2 (card 2: Device [PnP Audio Device]) and your Scarlett is hw:1 (card 1: USB [Scarlett 2i2 USB]) then you have to use hw:1 for jack.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Got it. It actually magically just started working but I do understand now the route. My ardour issues also resolved except a new one I discovered........which is not being able to play any distortion plugins, either in Ardour or in Rackarrack. It will play all other effects. Just no overdrive, saturation any. Why would that be?
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

racfkarack distortions work for for me ive used them recently, so the issue is something else. I replied to your other thread and someone mentoned about the distortion being quieter as you increasde the drive.

this is normal.

There is an output level. commen behaviour of effects pedals particularly distortiois and overdrives start to compres the signal or the natural of the distortions creates a quieter signal. thats why theres an output volume control so you can balance between clean and distortion.

as for in ardour, ill try out the invada distortion and saturation.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Yeah there is not even a hint of distortion with any of the plugins, just some slight gain and then volume goes down.