[solved] which laptop

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tatch
Established Member

[solved] which laptop

Post by tatch »

I'm debating between these two laptops:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834231446
-15.6" 1080p IPS with touchscreen
-intel i7 4500u (dualcore)
-nvidia geforce gt 745m

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/galu1
-14.1" 1080p IPS
-intel i7 4750HQ (quadcore)
-intel iris pro 5200

basically, the asus has a larger screen and a touchscreen but the galago has superior cpu/gpu (they both have 8gb ram, 1tb 5400rpm hdds, ~4h speculated battery life). I'm pretty tempted to get the asus but would I be missing out on significant performance gains with the galago? I'll be using it for audio/video/image creation&editing and also for programming/gaming/general use. I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Last edited by tatch on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatch
Established Member

Re: which laptop

Post by tatch »

just found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834231115 which has superior specs to both of the previous machines along with an IPS display (according to the questions, also the b&h listing). according to an amazon review of an almost-identical item it's not excessively difficult to put linux on it either. seriously considering this one.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I can't imagine you'll have problems with any of them, especially in the area of performance. I'm not sure you would notice the difference between the processor speeds but I'm not up on processors these days so I could be wrong.
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

tatch wrote:just found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834231115 which has superior specs to both of the previous machines along with an IPS display (according to the questions, also the b&h listing). according to an amazon review of an almost-identical item it's not excessively difficult to put linux on it either. seriously considering this one.
I would check the Linux capability, of the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video. First before doing anything.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

Unless you do a lot of video encoding or 3D modeling, you probably wont notice much between cpu speeds. Amount of RAM and number of cpus seem to do more these days. A larger screen is always nice, your eyes probably don't get better with age. And other perks like power usage or battery life for the $$$ over time factor.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

thanks. i've decided on the newer asus. UEFI is a little of a pain to deal with but it wasn't gut-wrenching. The computer is quite nice overall, very nice display, pretty nice keyboard (a little spongy) albeit with uneven keylighting, and the arrow keys/numpad are too narrow. The touchpad is nice and big but less nice for clicking, it's too stiff, and on linux it doesn't really go well with the way I've been used to using touchpads (with my thumb on the pad for leftclicking and my index finger for moving; linux considers that a doubleclick but windows/mac don't). No issues with nvidia or bumblebee yet, though haven't tested out actually using the dedicated GPU yet. There is a strange buzzing-feedback-noise that you can hear from the headphone port whenever you plug in some headphones, quite disappointing, and I've seen other people complain about it online as well. Considering contacting ASUS to see if they can repair that.

The touchscreen is pretty neat and works very well with win8 but less so with ubuntu since few apps support it currently and it exhibits strange behavior quite frequently; it seems like one app will capture the touchscreen input and when that happens I am unable to click using the touchscreen on any other app. Randomly it will "reset" and then I can click another app, it is quite random and annoying. Also, after I use the touchscreen, when I use the trackpad again the mouse will randomly jump to another place. (edit: it looks like this has been fixed in 13.10 but I'm still using 12.04 for the kxstudio repos...) But it is exciting to control music apps with the touchscreen. I ran din and it was too much fun (even though currently it hardly supports the touch paradigm). Mixxx works pretty well too though it could benefit from larger touch-friendly skins. I played around with carla too and some calf plugins and it's fun to move knobs/sliders with touch. If they support multitouch it would be even better!