Low latency kernel for Debian 7?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Walnutcracker
Established Member

Low latency kernel for Debian 7?

Post by Walnutcracker »

Hi, I'm wondering how I could install a low latency kernel in Debian 7?
juki
Established Member

Re: Low latency kernel for Debian 7?

Post by juki »

Hi.

In the Debian repositories you have the meta-package linux-image-rt-amd64 that will install you a RT kernel.

Another possibiliy is to install the package linux-image-realtime from the Tango Studio repositories.
Walnutcracker
Established Member

Post by Walnutcracker »

Thank you. I didn't know that was in the repos as i was looking for the low latency kernel. I am getting much better performance with that. I'm still wondering though, how can i get a low latency kernel?
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

I don't understand your point. Why do you want prefer to have a low-latency kernel instead of a RT kernel ?
Walnutcracker
Established Member

Post by Walnutcracker »

juki wrote:I don't understand your point. Why do you want prefer to have a low-latency kernel instead of a RT kernel ?
I've used low latency kernels with avlinux and kxstudio. My understanding was that they were an in between to generic and rt kernels in that they allowed lower latencies while not adversly affecting your desktop performance as much as rt kernels? Am i misunderstood?
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Walnutcracker wrote:I've used low latency kernels with avlinux and kxstudio. My understanding was that they were an in between to generic and rt kernels in that they allowed lower latencies while not adversly affecting your desktop performance as much as rt kernels? Am i misunderstood?
I know what you're getting at, I've seen it somewhere... yes, the CCRMA team (who improved Fedora's pro audio support) talk about a 'low latency kernel' which includes the rt patch here: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/s ... 0000000000

It's likely that the Debian7 'rt' kernels include 'low latency' tweaks. Probably not optimal but close enough.
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

Walnutcracker wrote:
juki wrote:I don't understand your point. Why do you want prefer to have a low-latency kernel instead of a RT kernel ?
I've used low latency kernels with avlinux and kxstudio. My understanding was that they were an in between to generic and rt kernels in that they allowed lower latencies while not adversly affecting your desktop performance as much as rt kernels? Am i misunderstood?
Do you really notice problems with peformances of your desktop using the RT kernel ?
DepreTux
Established Member

Post by DepreTux »

On my computers, I compile two kernels: An -rt kernel for audio, and a vanilla kernel tweaked for low heat/battery consumption. My desktop performance is always better with the -rt one, but it might be due to some config I do...
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Walnutcracker wrote:Thank you. I didn't know that was in the repos as i was looking for the low latency kernel. I am getting much better performance with that. I'm still wondering though, how can i get a low latency kernel?
If you get better performance from RT compared to Low-Latency it would be interesting to measure that and find out where it's coming from