Making Music Fill Speakers

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

luster
Established Member

Re: Making Music Fill Speakers

Post by luster »

Aeb105, you might want to note how other people have made audio listenable/available:

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=9

There may be other, more direct ways to do it--but I am not aware of any.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

luster wrote:Aeb105, you might want to note how other people have made audio listenable/available:

That link just takes me to "Original Series and Recordings" forum subsection. It does not take me to a specific post.

Does anybody know how to upload your music to this site???? I have tried, .wav, .mp3, .ogg and .flac to no avail.
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

aeb105 wrote:
luster wrote:Aeb105, you might want to note how other people have made audio listenable/available:

That link just takes me to "Original Series and Recordings" forum subsection. It does not take me to a specific post.

Does anybody know how to upload your music to this site???? I have tried, .wav, .mp3, .ogg and .flac to no avail.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.

My link to "Original Scores & Recordings" was intended to show you how others have solved this problem. This site, as far as I know, has no audio upload capability. Therefore we use other means.

Note the following excellect advice:
Ricardus wrote:Do it on Soundlcoud, or one of the other free sites.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Okay, I put it on Mediafire. Here is the link to my static ridden JAMin piped song.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kbblea2tdoedt6e
warkus
Established Member

Post by warkus »

Hey, Is JAMin even maintained anymore? I studied under a very good mastering engineer for 3 years, JAMin has no real benefit over plugins that I can see. It is still a nice piece of software but seriously, if it ain't working for ya.... it's not like it will magically fix your mixing :?
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

aeb105 wrote:Okay, I put it on Mediafire. Here is the link to my static ridden JAMin piped song.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kbblea2tdoedt6e
Wow. That really is static. Where is THAT coming from... It seems to distort more when the signal gets louder. So Set up another session with Jamin, and load a WAV file that contains silence into it (it only needs to be 10 or 15 secs) and run that through to see if it picks up any of the static/distortion.

This has to be something really simple.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

warkus wrote:Hey, Is JAMin even maintained anymore? I studied under a very good mastering engineer for 3 years, JAMin has no real benefit over plugins that I can see. It is still a nice piece of software but seriously, if it ain't working for ya.... it's not like it will magically fix your mixing :?
I think Jamin is still being developed, but the answer to your question is NO. It has no benefit over plugins. People bring up Jamin all the time on LAU and various other lists and groups, and the general consensus is that plugins are superior. I master with LinuxDSP's stuff and it sounds fantastic, and they seem to use less overhead. Jamin is a CPU hog.

Some DSP guys say there is something really wrong with the EQ as well. Something about intermodulation distortion or something.

That said, Jamin costs less money than good plugins, and will do a decent enough job for someone who doesn't want to lay out any cash.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

OK

I looked.

Here is the culprit:

You now only need to identify the source of the signal. It should be straightforward enough, but maybe troublesome if you are inexperienced in 'troubleshooting'. There are a lot of folks here to help, so don't despair!

:)
Attachments
trouble2onlm.png
trouble2onlm.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
troubleonlm.png
troubleonlm.png (8.98 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

Looks like xruns to me. But the regularity (EDIT: or lack thereof) is a clue.

Do you have your computer set to dynamically alter the CPU frequency?
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Ricardus, are you saying to open a new session, record a guitar track without playing, export it and then open this .WAV in JAMin?

Luster, I don't know if I do or not. I looked for frequency scaling programs and couldn't find any.
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

Many times freq scaling is set in BIOS.

But I see the drops to 0 and understand that that is the signal.

I'd set out to find the signal.

Others here are more sophisticated than I am and should be able to offer better advice.

But that's where I'd roll.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

luster wrote:Many times freq scaling is set in BIOS.

But I see the drops to 0 and understand that that is the signal.

I'd set out to find the signal.

Others here are more sophisticated than I am and should be able to offer better advice.

But that's where I'd roll.

When u say find the signal, do you mean the source of the distortion such as my microphone, my guitar, my Focusrite interface? Because you can't hear this static on any of my mixes. Just when I pipe thru JAMIN.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Answer to Ricardus question. The static is not present in silence. Only when I am singing, on this vocal track. Just exported the bass track to see if I get it there as well to rule out it being the microphone and yes it is there when I strike the bass but no static in silence before the bass.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

aeb105 wrote:Answer to Ricardus question. The static is not present in silence. Only when I am singing, on this vocal track. Just exported the bass track to see if I get it there as well to rule out it being the microphone and yes it is there when I strike the bass but no static in silence before the bass.
Interestinger, and interstinger.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

When I said "the signal" I meant the visually evident drops to 0 (zero) that were easy to see in the snapshots of your .wav file. This, in my opinion is the source of the "static" that is heard and extends over the entire time of the piece of music.

Locate the source of the "static" and eliminate it.

That 'signal' I refered to is what you are hearing as awful noise/intereference/clicks/whatever...

:)