Making Music Fill Speakers

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Pablo
Established Member

Re: Making Music Fill Speakers

Post by Pablo »

In patchage you can drag the boxes. It would be much more clear if you dragged away the green-only and red-only boxes and arranged the relevant ones so that the routing is easier to see.

Anyway, in your last patchage screenshot, I think that system: playbacks are hidden below ardour input box. And it seems to me that jamin outs are connected to system: playbacks in addition to ardour's "insert 1_ins". Jamin must be an insert from/to ardour and no more. You don't want jamin outs to system playbacks!
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

Yes, there are definitely 2 traces coming out of each side of Jamin's outputs. I can't actually tell where they are going, but as the previous poster said, they should only be going to the insert returns.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Here is a better view of Patchage. So they are indeed connected like you say to System Playback. How do I remove them without removing them all? Can I do this in Ardour?

I also attached a picture of Ardour during normal audio playing. Look at the top DSP looks about %60.
Attachments
JAMIN2.png
JAMIN2.png (215.58 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
DSP.png
DSP.png (243.12 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

Pablo wrote:...And it seems to me that jamin outs are connected to system: playbacks in addition to ardour's "insert 1_ins". Jamin must be an insert from/to ardour and no more. You don't want jamin outs to system playbacks!
Did you notice this part ^^^ of Pablo's above message?

Looks to me like the jamin outs are still going to system playbacks.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

luster wrote:
Pablo wrote:...And it seems to me that jamin outs are connected to system: playbacks in addition to ardour's "insert 1_ins". Jamin must be an insert from/to ardour and no more. You don't want jamin outs to system playbacks!
Did you notice this part ^^^ of Pablo's above message?

Looks to me like the jamin outs are still going to system playbacks.

I said above "They are indeed connected like you say to System Playback. How do I remove them without removing them all? Can I do this in Ardour?" Do you know how I can make sure they don't autoconnect like that?
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

aeb105 wrote: ...I said above "They are indeed connected like you say to System Playback. How do I remove them without removing them all? Can I do this in Ardour?" Do you know how I can make sure they don't autoconnect like that?

I don't use Patchage. I use a different distribution (KXStudio) and (a) different tool(s) (Catia, usually) that is substantially similar to Patchage but maybe different enough for any advice I might offer to be wrong for your system.

You may wish to try the following command in a terminal:

man patchage

The following is from http://rgrwkmn.hubpages.com/hub/Recordi ... orkstation
...Patchage

Patchage grants the user a very intuitive way to make and break connections between their hardware and software. You can make a connection by clicking on an input and then clicking on the output where you want your signal sent (and vise versa). You can also right-click on an input or output to choose to disconnect all of its patches. Audio ins and outs are light blue, while MIDI ins and outs are green. Once you've rearranged your ins and outs during a recording session you can choose File >> Save Settings to make Ptachage [sic] remember your layout for next time....

I added the bolding and underlining to "(and vise versa)" It means that 'You can UN-make a connection by clicking on an input and then clicking on the output where you want your signal UN-sent.'

Don't forget to save your settings if you wish persistence for that change. And I don't know, you might have to do something in Ardour, too. But I doubt it.

You may be able to do it all in Ardour, but again, I don't know for sure on your setup.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

How do I remove them without removing them all?
You can remove them from Jamin: Ports -> Out -> Groups : Untick system

Also, from patchage as luster explained or dragging the mouse from port to port

However,
Don't forget to save your settings if you wish persistence for that change.
No. Saving patchage settings is useless for connections persistence. Patchage is a connection manager like qjackctl connection window, nicer and more intuitive, but it doesn't restore connections. It is doing a good job for diagnosis, but it doesn't help or hurt for the issue discussed here.

The default behaviour in jamin is autoconnect to system playbacks so next time you launch jamin, even a saved jamin session, you will have to disconnect again. You could start jamin with the "-p" option to never automatically connect. If you know how to modify the default command for the jamin launcher, I think this is the best option.

For now, just disconnect from the jamin menu, patchage or even qjackctl.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Alright I disconnected from Jamin as you can see in the below attachment, Patchage now reflects that. But I am still getting that static. What is really strange is that after I open Patchage, everything gets real slow and skips now along with the static. In fact in order to return things to just the static without the new slow delayed skip, I have to shutdown not only Patchage.............but Qjactl and everything. Then restart without Patchage and then I just get the static on that JAMIN track.
Attachments
PatchageAfterDisconnectinJamin.png
PatchageAfterDisconnectinJamin.png (215.14 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

Try removing the SYSTEM CAPTURE connections from all of your tracks.

And what is MONSANTO?
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Monsanto is a another name for my song "Tell The Truth". It is about the nefarious activities of this untouchable cuttthroat corporation. Monsanto gave us DDT, Agent Orange, and now under everyone's nose........ahem..........has been genetically modifying our food for the last 10 years. This is the mix or song I am trying to master with JAMIN.
Last edited by aeb105 on Fri May 10, 2013 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Ricardus wrote:Try removing the SYSTEM CAPTURE connections from all of your tracks.

And what is MONSANTO?

I removed the SYSTEM CAPTURE from the mix to no avail. Do you want me to go back to before the mix export and remove it from all the individual tracks and then export to this new session?
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Increase the periods/buffer in qjackctl setup window. 256 frames is too low for working with Jamin. You have lots of xruns! This means dropouts or noise. Increase to at least 1024 frames per period. You don't care about latency at this stage. Also, as you don't need to capture anything for your mastering sessions, starting jack in playback only mode (again, via qjackctl setup window) might help.

Remember, jamin only as the final step, to get loudness from your stereo mix. You only need qjackctl, ardour and jamin (you can check connections in qjackctl, too)
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Pablo wrote:Increase the periods/buffer in qjackctl setup window. 256 frames is too low for working with Jamin. You have lots of xruns! This means dropouts or noise. Increase to at least 1024 frames per period. You don't care about latency at this stage. Also, as you don't need to capture anything for your mastering sessions, starting jack in playback only mode (again, via qjackctl setup window) might help.

Remember, jamin only as the final step, to get loudness from your stereo mix. You only need qjackctl, ardour and jamin (you can check connections in qjackctl, too)
Thanks Pablo! That did it. I am now able to play the song thru JAMIN without static. Now I just need to learn how to use it. Especially the equalization process for parts of song I want to stand out and then fade back, like the lead guitar portions.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

aeb105 wrote: Thanks Pablo! That did it. I am now able to play the song thru JAMIN without static. Now I just need to learn how to use it. Especially the equalization process for parts of song I want to stand out and then fade back, like the lead guitar portions.
That sorta thing definitely should be done in mix, not mastering.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Ricardus wrote:
aeb105 wrote: Thanks Pablo! That did it. I am now able to play the song thru JAMIN without static. Now I just need to learn how to use it. Especially the equalization process for parts of song I want to stand out and then fade back, like the lead guitar portions.
That sorta thing definitely should be done in mix, not mastering.

Okay, thanks. I guess I would use automation in Ardour during the mixing process for that.