Making Music Fill Speakers

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Making Music Fill Speakers

Post by Capoeira »

aeb105 wrote:Thanks. Can anybody tell me why I am hearing alot of static when I play the song thru JAMin?
what you mean by static?
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Capoeira wrote:
aeb105 wrote:Thanks. Can anybody tell me why I am hearing alot of static when I play the song thru JAMin?
what you mean by static?
SSsssssssssSSSsssssssszzzzzZZtttssssssssssssSSSzzzz. Every song I import to Ardour and then fire up in JAMin.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

aeb105 wrote:
Capoeira wrote:
what you mean by static?
SSsssssssssSSSsssssssszzzzzZZtttssssssssssssSSSzzzz. Every song I import to Ardour and then fire up in JAMin.
white noise? impossible to say from distance what's causing this?
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

I actually hear the song but there is that sound behind it like static. I don't get that during a regular Ardour session. Does it have to do with the routing?? The configuration is referenced in the above posts.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

aeb105 wrote:I actually hear the song but there is that sound behind it like static. I don't get that during a regular Ardour session. Does it have to do with the routing?? The configuration is referenced in the above posts.
Can you upload an audio sample somewhere?

1) Does it make the "static" when you are listening to the audio normally?

2) When you render a file (export a session) is the "static" in the file then, also?

Jamin is a huge resource hog. If the static is Xruns, it might be caused because the frequency scaling of the CPUs in your system is set to low. You can throttle the CPU speed, and if it is set on "economy" (low) or whatever they call it, that could be the reason.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Ricardus wrote:
aeb105 wrote:I actually hear the song but there is that sound behind it like static. I don't get that during a regular Ardour session. Does it have to do with the routing?? The configuration is referenced in the above posts.
Can you upload an audio sample somewhere?

1) Does it make the "static" when you are listening to the audio normally?

2) When you render a file (export a session) is the "static" in the file then, also?

Jamin is a huge resource hog. If the static is Xruns, it might be caused because the frequency scaling of the CPUs in your system is set to low. You can throttle the CPU speed, and if it is set on "economy" (low) or whatever they call it, that could be the reason.

It only occurs with JAMin. My mixed stuff is fine and clear. Whenever I import the .wav file, set everything up and hit play in JAMin then I get it. I have dual core AMD 2.6ghz right now. I have a quad core phenom that I plan on putting in sometime soon if that would help.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

aeb105 wrote: It only occurs with JAMin. My mixed stuff is fine and clear. Whenever I import the .wav file, set everything up and hit play in JAMin then I get it. I have dual core AMD 2.6ghz right now. I have a quad core phenom that I plan on putting in sometime soon if that would help.
You did not answer my question. Does it happen when you render (export) a session file? Using Ardour WITH Jamin patched in?

And are you aware of how to check to see what your CPU frequency scaling is set to?

Even if you have a 2.6, if your frequency scaling is set to economy it's really only a 1.3 Ghz. What distro are you running?

A dual core 2.6 should run a simple mastering session with Jamin with no problems.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Ricardus wrote:
aeb105 wrote: It only occurs with JAMin. My mixed stuff is fine and clear. Whenever I import the .wav file, set everything up and hit play in JAMin then I get it. I have dual core AMD 2.6ghz right now. I have a quad core phenom that I plan on putting in sometime soon if that would help.
You did not answer my question. Does it happen when you render (export) a session file? Using Ardour WITH Jamin patched in?

And are you aware of how to check to see what your CPU frequency scaling is set to?

Even if you have a 2.6, if your frequency scaling is set to economy it's really only a 1.3 Ghz. What distro are you running?

A dual core 2.6 should run a simple mastering session with Jamin with no problems.

I haven't exported a session file from the new JAMin setup because everything I play thru JAMin has that godawful static. I have exported many session files prior from many songs in Ardour with no static. Where do I check the frequency scaling? I am running Tango Studio.
warkus
Established Member

Post by warkus »

Hi, If you are having difficulty getting jamming to work. I would suggest you try this.
- bounce mix to stereo
- open new ardour session and import the bounce to a stereo track
- use plugins to "master" your track - latest calf plugins are good, the multiband comppressor will do what you want. (if used correctly :wink: )
- Bounce again to final format eg 16-bit 44.1k for audio CD etc...

note....
Things that lead to a good master are:
- good recording room
- good equipment
- good recording technique
- good mixing technique

if all of the above are met, the only reason for mastering is to ensure the recorded music plays well on a variety of systems. Mastering is not about making a mix sound better, it's about quality control.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

aeb105 wrote:
Ricardus wrote:

I haven't exported a session file from the new JAMin setup because everything I play thru JAMin has that godawful static. I have exported many session files prior from many songs in Ardour with no static. Where do I check the frequency scaling? I am running Tango Studio.
OK, I apologize but I am beginning to lose patience here. if you are unwilling to do what THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU, recommend, then I have no interest in helping you anymore.

Exporting the session with Jamin patched in IS A DIAGNOSTIC TOOL THAT WILL HELP US DETERMINE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOUR SYSTEM, so do it. PLEASE.

Regarding frequency scaling, Ubuntu comes with some applets that let you change the settings. Google around and see if you can find the setting for your system.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Sorry the problem is that I didn't clearly understand the question. Ok I exported the session with JAMIN insert from Ardour and I still get the static.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

aeb105 wrote:Sorry the problem is that I didn't clearly understand the question. Ok I exported the session with JAMIN insert from Ardour and I still get the static.
OK, now can you upload sample of the music with the static, so we can hear it?
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

What extension will this site let you upload?? So far have tried, .wav, .mp3, ogg and .flac and says not allowed.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Can I even upload audio to this site??? If so what format. I have got rejected on those in the above post.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

Do it on Soundlcoud, or one of the other free sites.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire