Curious about people's JACK setups

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lsthwy
Established Member

Curious about people's JACK setups

Post by lsthwy »

Hey there,

I've been experimenting with making music on Linux for about a year now. I've found a workflow I quite like, using TidalCycles and Bitwig in combination. To do this I am running QJackCTL to route 8 virtual stereo outputs from Super Collider (the engine for Tidal) to 8 stereo inputs in Bitwig and then out to my soundcard.

I've been having so much fun with this setup that I decided to overhaul my PC studio computer and build a new Linux machine and an environment centred around integrating this setup with my various outboard gear.
One current annoyance about my Linux music setup is I have to open quite a few various programs and I need to manually assign the routing each time via QjackCTL's patchbay.

AFAIK, QjackCTL is just a GUI frontend to JACK. So I thought I'd write myself a little script that I can run which would set up my JACK routing and launch the various programs, editors, file browsers etc I use. I could even write a few for loading different types of working environments.

I'm sure others here are doing something similar, so I'd love to know your setups and configurations if you feel like sharing.
LAM
Established Member

Re: Curious about people's JACK setups

Post by LAM »

Hi, @lsthwy
you may be looking for a JACK session manager, like:

https://www.laborejo.org/agordejo/

or

https://github.com/Houston4444/RaySession

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

lsthwy
Established Member

Re: Curious about people's JACK setups

Post by lsthwy »

Oh amazing! I had no idea these type of things existed.
Will definitely try them out.

In the end I feel a script might end up end up being more useful, just in terms of making sure things happen in specific orders (which is needed for something like clock syncing Tidal to Bitwig)... but let's see.