Final Release of AV Linux (6.0) is in the Wild!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Final Release of AV Linux (6.0) is in the Wild!

Post by GMaq »

Hello fellow LM's

Just passing along the announcement for AV Linux 6.0, you are welcomed to have a look here: http://www.remastersys.com/forums/index ... pic=2530.0
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Final Release of AV Linux (6.0) is in the Wild!

Post by GMaq »

falkTX,

Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing many of the best features of this release, and for taking time and interest at all in AV Linux.

I appreciate your concern but I'm not going anywhere (not that I know of anyway). Unfortunately I will be stopping further development of AV Linux in the best interest of bringing balance to my personal life. There are many reasons, and it has been a VERY difficult decision to make, but I know this is the right time to do the right thing.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Congratulations with the release. I see you've included non-things including NSM, nice :)

Apparently it is too much work to maintain a distro as a one-man-show. In my opinion, the best way to help Debian based distros is to join and support the Debian Multimedia Team. Report bugs and package for the team.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=817

One thing you could consider is maintaining a Debian Blend e.g. maintain meta-packages for the official Debian release
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends
http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ ... ro.en.html

It's less work then maintaining a whole distro and the results are close to the same (especially now you have RT kernel in Debian)

Thanks again!
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I concur with FalkTX. ZynAddSubFX is one example that does not stay up to date due to the lack of unison controls in the AdSynth voice parameters. This is even with Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 3. I had to compile it from source and install it in the /usr prefix. I've tried Yoshimi, but it left me with a 20% CPU usage when idle.

I went with 12.10 just to try them out for fun and compile Cadence-related tools. I prefer to have all the latest packages even if I don't get support from KXStudio. :)

And so much for OpenOctave. I'd like to see a couple of updates to their website as the only thing I've created a Twitter account is to follow OpenOctave and that's it. :( I have a Google+ account that I want to use to follow, but oh well.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

falkTX wrote: I have to disagree here. Debian multimedia likes to build packages with debug mode active, which is *awful* for audio (specially noticeable in Qtractor, where debug mode makes it print a lot of "useless" messages).
Also, Debian multimedia have ignored my requests several times (to the point that the suil package is still broken, even when the author himself spoke to the packagers directly!).

That's exactly the reason why someone like you (among others) should join that team. Then you can fix those bugs yourself.

EDIT: afaik you don't have to install the dbg version

Code: Select all

i   qtractor                            - MIDI/Audio multi-track sequencer application 
p   qtractor-dbg                        - Debugging symbols for Qtractor
Ubuntu is not that good in this subject either, most things just get ignored due to lack of developers.
All audio packages in Ubuntu come directly from the Debian Multimedia Team (DMT).
(And this is why personal repositories are the best option right now, or so do I believe).
A package for the DMT will reach a far broader scale of people and will improve the state of linuxaudio in general. Especially because they package properly.
And remember it can or should be AND AND, you can have a small PPA with some special packages which are not backported from / or in Debian.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@studio32

What you say makes a lot of sense....EXCEPT what you are talking about is only really possible and set up properly to work with Debian Testing and Unstable. It has always been my personal belief that a purpose-driven Linux that could possibly be deployed in professional recording studio environments should always be based on a Stable or LTS base. A Linux setup in a professional studio should more like an 'appliance' than a software development platform which is utter madness and basically a key factor to Linux not making inroads to acceptance in pro audio circles.

So since there is essentially less than a handful of packages from pkg-multimedia that have been back ported to Squeeze one of which being ffmpeg which has created more problems than it has solved for most Squeeze users who don't know about the pissing contest between pkg-multimedia and deb-multimedia over ffmpeg/libav...but that is a whole other issue.

If I were to take your advice and become an official backport packager for Debian proper I'd essentially be doing it on my own for multiple architectures under much more stringent rules which would be worse than running a one-man distro. Debian is wonderful but they have no desire to provide a Multimedia platform on Stable which is why I attempted to do it myself.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@Gmaq, I agree with you about the stable part and yes backporting to stable is more work. The advantage of working in a team is that people might be interested in the same and want to help...
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@Gmaq, respect for the screencast you made, pretty slick ;)

Makes me wondering, wtf where you doing man! :)
Why didn't you focus just on audio and just on the main audio packages in your distro? Why both audio and video? I can imagine you include Xjadeo but ...
Why didn't make you clear choices about which apps will be in the distro by default (in an up-to-date-version)? Why LMMS if it sucks with JACK for instance?

Don't get me wrong, the fact that you did it all, does make the respect grow, but I'm doubting if this is the best way to maintain a proaudio distro.

Btw, the example of NSM in your screencast:
- you have to include the client jackpatch to restore the connections
- you can use the nsm-proxy client to add the session folder of ardour as argument (and even use ladish l1)

Ciao
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

studio32 wrote: ...
Why didn't you focus just on audio and just on the main audio packages in your distro? Why both audio and video? I can imagine you include Xjadeo but ...
NLEs such as Cinelerra and Kdenlive now have significant audio features. Blender too.
Why LMMS if it sucks with JACK for instance?
Because it doesn't suck without JACK. "Yes, Virginia, there is such a thing as life without JACK." Not that I want to live such a life, but every now & then I can do without JACK, particularly if the reward is working with a program as much fun as LMMS or Kdenlive.

Best,

dp
brummer

Post by brummer »

GMaq wrote:Unfortunately I will be stopping further development of AV Linux in the best interest of bringing balance to my personal life.
Hi GMaq

I'm sad to hear that, but anyhow, thanks for all your work for the linux audio community and all the best for the future.
I guess you will continue to use linux as a "user", so we will meat her and there, I hope.

greets
hermann
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi brummer,

Thanks very much for your comments. Just so you know Guitarix 0.24 got added to the AV Linux 6.0 ISO at the very last minute even after the screencast was made so for now at least there is a current version for people to try it out on the LiveDVD. Thank you very much for recommending AV Linux on your website and also for always being friendly and helpful when I've had issues. Keep up your excellent work and yes I will still be around on the forum here just maybe not quite as often... :)