kernel 2.6.32 is out

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

thorgal
Established Member

Re: kernel 2.6.29 is out

Post by thorgal »

studio32: great piece of info ... I noticed that just yesterday after work ... the whole DAW completely unresponsive after random periods of time. Hard reboot was necessary. So out with IRQ balance ...

DioXide: I usually don't fool around with system stuff but these last months, I was completely out of the loop concerning my current music projects due to job work load. So I've been following kernel development from work a bit more closely as I think it shall soon be time to upgrade (lots of RT stuff is gradually merged back to the kernel code baseline).

As to the DSP load, it's never been a problem either in my case. It's just that I quickly compared jackdmp and jackd (both latest svn code) and jackdmp does not show a 4% dsp load, more like 1%, when the daemon is doing nothing but waiting for audio. I really need vacation now to test all these new goodies ... I definitely think it is worthwhile as there tons of bug fixes in other areas of the kernel.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@ Thorgal, do you give your feedback to the maker of the RT patches? I think they would like it and would benefit from it.

See also interview with those guys elsewhere on this board.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Studio32: no I usually don't because I had been using the same kernel for a LONG time (2.6.24.3-rt3). It's only recently that I started looking into more recent kernels. But in such a botched way due to lack of time that my feedback is not really useful at the moment.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

So, I have removed the irqbalance, and now I am testing the new kernel. First I did a stress test at low lat. It took it no sweat except for rosegarden that had given up on me :lol: But ardour, jamin and dssi-vst were in good shape all the way.

Now, I am just using it normally, playing the Pianoteq VSTi in a "gentle" way through dssi-vst at 1.3ms latency. Nothing else is opened, I just want to have some cool time. Been doing that for 1/2 an hour, not seen a single xrun (I am using wine 1.1.15 by the way).

So far so good :)

kernel 2.6.29-rt1
no irqbalance
hpet timer
jack MIDI handling. Jack is jack1 svn@3471
(for the record, I use an intel mobo and core 2 duo proc - so 32bit system, 4G of ram, and I use the performance governor for the CPU, which means I disabled the frequency scaling).

Will keep on testing for a while but it looks like it's on the right track ...
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I installed the same kernel (2.6.29-rt1) on my old laptop, a Dell latitude with 1GB RAM, 1.6GHz pentium M, running debian sid / experimental. I set it up with all the RT tweaks (limits.conf, rtirq) and installed ardour2. I really never thought I could use the laptop for something related to audio ... I was wrong :)

First of, I can run jack reliably at low lat (I even tried something like -p16 -n3 -r 48000, where I started getting xruns, so increasing to p64 makes it happy). If I run intensive stuff, I quickly reach the limits but just ardour2 and a couple of tracks and the system is really reliable. This will be handy at times :) I need to fetch the RME cardbus for my Hammerfall system so I can use this laptop on some special occasions. I start to really like this kernel :)
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

Hi!

Yesterday i built the Debian kernel 2.6.29 that just entered in sid a few days ago patching it RT. I never had so good kernel, it's just excellent!
studio32

Post by studio32 »

juki wrote:Hi!

Yesterday i built the Debian kernel 2.6.29 that just entered in sid a few days ago patching it RT. I never had so good kernel, it's just excellent!
welcome :)

Did you see this? http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=971 ;) Maybe you could offer some help...
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

studio32 wrote:
juki wrote:Hi!

welcome :)

Did you see this? http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=971 ;) Maybe you could offer some help...
Hello.

Unfortunately, i don't think i could help, 1/ my technical english is not so good, 2/ i'm able to build a kernel following an easy tutorial, nothing more. In a few years maybe.

But it seems interseting, i hope it'll work.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

juki wrote: Hello.

Unfortunately, i don't think i could help, 1/ my technical english is not so good, 2/ i'm able to build a kernel following an easy tutorial, nothing more. In a few years maybe.

But it seems interseting, i hope it'll work.
You could say on the list, that you like to see an RT kernel in Debian and offer some testing.... :)
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

studio32

Post by studio32 »

what is a normal processing load, DSP, with ardour?
Attachments
ardourcpu.png
ardourcpu.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

hard to say. I am experimenting with jack2 at the moment. I have about 1% DSP load with jackd, and ardour opened with an empty session (no tracks at all). When I close ardour, the DSP load falls back to 0.5%. So ardour alone without any stuff in it takes about 0.5 %.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

and what does p: and c: tells us?
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

p and c ? ... my guesstimate would be how much in % the playback and capture buffers are filled up ... maybe ?
thorgal
Established Member

Re: kernel 2.6.32 is out

Post by thorgal »

updated this thread (see first post)