LMS Suite 12.05 is now available

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

jeffh
Established Member

LMS Suite 12.05 is now available

Post by jeffh »

.debs and source tarball available here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmods ... s/plugins/

What's new:

* Fixed dependencies to work in Ubuntu 12.04 (and hopefully not break anywhere else)
* The effects are now available as LADSPA plugins in hosts like Hydrogen that don't support DSSI
* User editable MIDI CC maps in ~/dssi/[plugin]-cc_map.txt . (The file isn't created until you launch the plugin for the first time)
* Probably a bunch of other stuff that I'm forgetting...

Unfortunately, I ran into a lot of trouble trying to implement polyFX Euphoria, which wasted a lot of my time. I should be able to properly get Euphoria working next month, as I've learned a value lesson about trying to do too much at one time; I'm going back to the "low hanging fruit" development philosophy :mrgreen: I also had some massive constraints on my personal time, which kept me from devoting much time to LMS in the past few weeks. I should have a bit more time to work on it next month, I'm going to focus on Euphoria, and my visual plugin designer.

***Just throwing this out there: If anybody has at least rudimentary C, C++ and/or Qt skills and would iike to help out, I'm open to bringing new developers to the team.
jeffh
Established Member

Re: LMS Suite 12.05 is now available

Post by jeffh »

falkTX wrote:I have some C++ and Qt skills, and I'll surely like to help out after I finish some things here (Cadence beta1!)
Wow, when I posted that, I thought that at best I might attract some newbie developers that I could teach audio DSP/plugin development to; I never dreamed that somebody of your calibre or reknown would offer their services. Welcome to the team :mrgreen:
falkTX wrote:I'm currently working on a very small API/Toolkit to develop audio plugins with.
The goal is to have 1 base plugin and 1 base UI class, and from that auto-generate LADSPA, DSSI, LV2, VST and Standalone plugins. LADSPA, DSSI (no-gui), LV2 and basic Standalones are already working, here's a sneak peak of the API:
Plugin base class -> http://distrho.git.sourceforge.net/git/ ... .h;hb=HEAD
Ui base class -> http://distrho.git.sourceforge.net/git/ ... .h;hb=HEAD
(UI uses Qt4)

Still a work in progress, but perhaps something you might be interested in?
I'm not opposed to supporting other plugin formats with LMS. Maybe we could even evaluate merging my project into your project, or at least working towards a high degree of interoperability between the 2 projects?

I'm thinking the visual plugin designer I've been planning could use your Distrho plugin base class and general framework that you've created around it, with the audio-DSP framework I've written for LibModSynth. I'm going draw up some design documentation for the plugin designer and post it on my Sourceforge page. I'll post a link to it when it's done.
falkTX wrote:PS: Congrats for the release, sometime next week I shall package your plugins into KXStudio PPAs
Cool 8)
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Glad to hear these now work in Hydrogen! :) The delay plugin will be
real handy! As well as some extra thump and sizzle for various kit members 8)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Couple of things...

These plugins are no longer working on AV Linux 5.0.3, It may be related to a major foul up I made in development so don't be too concerned just yet. I'll get you some terminal output but I'm on the family Windows box right now. The plugins don't show up in Rosegarden or Qtractor and the jack host ones don't launch at all.

I was wondering also if you would mind adding the category 'AudioEditing' to your '.desktop' files for the launchers so they show up in my customized menu, otherwise I have to break apart your debs and manually edit all the desktop files and then repack them.

**EDIT**

OK had a quick minute, here is some output from Rosegarden that looks kinda ugly:

Code: Select all

WARNING: LADSPAPluginFactory::discoverPlugins: couldn't dlopen /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_comb.so - /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_comb.so)
WARNING: LADSPAPluginFactory::discoverPlugins: couldn't dlopen /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_delay.so - /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_delay.so)
WARNING: LADSPAPluginFactory::discoverPlugins: couldn't dlopen /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_distortion.so - /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_distortion.so)
WARNING: LADSPAPluginFactory::discoverPlugins: couldn't dlopen /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_eq5.so - /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_eq5.so)
WARNING: LADSPAPluginFactory::discoverPlugins: couldn't dlopen /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_filter.so - /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/ladspa/lms_filter.so)
Note that other LADSPA and DSSI plugins on the system are behaving normally and showing up in their appropriate hosts.

Here's what I get when I launch as a standalone, not very informative:

tester@av6devdesk:~$ lms-jack-dssi-host "lms_comb.so"

lms-jack-dssi-host: Error: Failed to load plugin library "lms_comb.so"
tester@av6devdesk:~$ 
The '.so' files are all there where they're supposed to be so I'm not sure whats up...? i was going to try your previous 12.04 to see if they worked but you're so tidy I couldn't find them at sourceforge. :D
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

Doh! I didn't test it extensively because I didn't think anything would be broken... :oops:

I'm a little perplexed myself as to why that's happening now, but not before. Most of the plugins had zero code change, and the dependencies I removed shouldn't have caused this. The plugins were already LADSPA-compatible, I only created symlinks to them in the /usr/lib/ladspa to make hosts recognize them as such.

That GLIBC is just a reference to the standard C(not C++) library, AFAIK. Other plugins may not be affected by it because they were written in C++. I'm going to test it from an AV Linux Live DVD, it may just be a matter of adding a GLIBC dependency... If so I'll release an updated 12.05
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

@jeffh:
it may just be a matter of adding a GLIBC dependency
?? It has a libc dependency, (as you would expect) but it looks like this is probably for a later version than the one AVLinux uses.

If you have compiled your binaries against a later version than that which GMaq is using on AVLinux it would cause that error. You could either compile the binaries against an earlier libc version, or @GMaq you could build them from source on AVLinux. Or, if you can identify what caused the version bump, you might be able to modify your code to make it more compatible with earlier versions.

@GMaq: from the command line, try something like:

strings /lib/libc.so.6 | grep GLIBC

Should list the versions your libc is compatible with.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone...

As far a linuxDSP's suggestion of compiling locally is so obvious as to escape my attention, not to mention I'm google-eyed from compiling about 20 QT4 apps after breaking my AV Linux 6.0 development build but that's another story... I was being a bit lazy since Jeff's debs had worked previously. Anyway...

Here's the skinny on libc, I had to modify the command for Debian:
tester@tester:~$ strings /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 | grep GLIBC

GLIBC_2.0
GLIBC_2.1
GLIBC_2.1.1
GLIBC_2.1.2
GLIBC_2.1.3
GLIBC_2.2
GLIBC_2.2.1
GLIBC_2.2.2
GLIBC_2.2.3
GLIBC_2.2.4
GLIBC_2.2.6
GLIBC_2.3
GLIBC_2.3.2
GLIBC_2.3.3
GLIBC_2.3.4
GLIBC_2.4
GLIBC_2.5
GLIBC_2.6
GLIBC_2.7
GLIBC_2.8
GLIBC_2.9
GLIBC_2.10
GLIBC_2.11
GLIBC_2.12
GLIBC_2.13
GLIBC_PRIVATE
GNU C Library (Debian EGLIBC 2.13-21) stable release version 2.13, by Roland McGrath et al.
tester@tester:~$ 
Looks like I top out at 2.13 and Jeff is building against 2.15...

falkTX,

I appreciate your offer but I'm sure you are busy enough! :D I can build my own packages or perhaps grab yours or it may be in the best interest of Jeff to package and build against an older version for wider compatibility if possible, seems silly for three of us to package the same thing :roll: . Anyway I'm neither afraid of the C Compiler or the Deb builder so if locally building and packaging is the best solution I'm up for that as well.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

@falkTX: 10.04LTS is used for the (recent) linuxDSP plugins too - same policy of using an old (but not too old) distribution, in order to cover the widest range of, reasonably current, 'target' distributions. A deliberate policy of keeping the number of dependencies to a minimum is also used (there is no point in linking to a massive library if only a small subset of functions are required, it may even be quicker / easier to (re)invent some of the required functionality - a typical example being our GUI engine, which, for plugin UIs doesn't need all the extras that GTK or Qt (or even JUCE) provide, and can therefore be 'lean' X11 based code - if anything based on X11 / XLib can be considered 'lean' :) )
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

You guys are on top of it... :lol:

Good call, I suspect you all are right... I just finished trying it in AV Linux, and couldn't figure out what went wrong. Still very much being a Linux development n00b, I had compiled LMS Suite 12.05 on the latest Ubuntu 12.04... I'll re-upload a version compiled in a VM using an older version of Ubuntu.

GMaq: I have a script that makes it super easy to package, you can download the 12.05 source package, and un-tar it, then run these commands:

cd libmodsynth-git/plugins
perl build-all.pl
The script will then interactively prompt you for various information, and output a .deb file. That should guarantee an optimally compiled and packaged AV Linux .deb, and if not, then let me know what went wrong and I'll fix it.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

It turns out that the package produced doesn't work in AV Linux because I hadn't accounted for i686 as an architecture, so the package is created as architecture: unknown, which then causes the install to fail. In the next couple days or so, I'll update that script to work properly in AV Linux, and I'll fix the package category as well. If you need it ASAP, you could just compile per my instructions, un-compress the package and update the DEBIAN/ files to reflect i686 as the arch, and edit the category.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Great! thanks for being so accommodating :D

I can wait no problem, I'm mostly just merging them in my next version which won't be released until the end of June so no hurry on my account. Just post when you have a new upload and I'll give 'em another go. I'm personally looking forward to Euphoria as well maybe it'll be further developed by then as well. (*fingers crossed).
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks happyfeet,

You insight and contribution to this important issue were really needed, thanks so much for pitching in. All the best in your future spamming activities :wink:
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

Alrighty, 12.05-2 available now from here:

Compiled in a Ubuntu 11.10 VM, I attempted to test in an AV Linux VM, it appeared to start, but Virtualbox clearly wasn't going to have anything to do with it :lol:

GMaq: Let me know if that worked OK for you...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

jeffh wrote:Alrighty, 12.05-2 available now from here:

Compiled in a Ubuntu 11.10 VM, I attempted to test in an AV Linux VM, it appeared to start, but Virtualbox clearly wasn't going to have anything to do with it :lol:

GMaq: Let me know if that worked OK for you...
Hi there,

Yes these packages are working for me now thanks. They all fire up in hosts and as standalones. Not sure what the issue with AV in the VM is there, it's actually developed and the ISO's built in a VM. If you want to troubleshoot it further let me know but in the meantime these packages are good here.

Thanks again!
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

falkTX wrote:I just tried the last source tarball, but it doesn't even build... :(

you should *really* consider using a normal build system, qmake or cmake are good examples (qmake is easier and has deep integration with qt).

Although I see and understand your reasons to have a custom build-system, you'll only get hurt in the long term, and those that don't share the same system as you.

I'll try to compile the plugins and get back to you soon.
Thanks for the tips. I think some of the funkier #includes are actually remnants of the example plugins that I forked mine from. I made some efforts to clean those up, but I'm sure there are still some that I missed.

The custom build system is still using GNU Autotools/Make as it's underpinning. The LMS plugins were forked from the simple example plugins that come with the DSSI API, and the Makefiles for them were hacked out of the ones that the DSSI guys wrote. I only simplified building/debugging/packaging the plugins with some Perl helper scripts.

I'm not opposed to using qmake or cmake or scons or compilatron5000 as the underpinnings of my build scripts, but unfortunately I possess no expertise in how to use any of those, or even GNU Autotools for that matter.

After much pain and Googling, once I finally got Autotools to work in Ubuntu, I was content to leave well enough alone, with the premise that I would support additional platforms when/if there was demand for supporting them. I don't mind providing support if there is demand, but I don't currently possess the know-how to start using something like QMake.