LMS DSSI Plugin Suite 12.03 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

jeffh
Established Member

LMS DSSI Plugin Suite 12.03 released

Post by jeffh »

Hi All,

I've revamped the LMS Plugin suite and how it's packaged/installed/used.

New Features:

1. All 5 DSSI plugins in a single .deb file
2. Plugins can now be launched standalone from your start menu without using jack-dssi-host from the terminal
3. Minor bug fixes, sound quality improvements and CPU usage improvements.
4. An awesome new YY.MM version format :mrgreen:
5. A super-easy build-all.pl script for PPA and distro package maintainers to easily create their own packages with their maintainer information.

You can get the .deb files here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmods ... s/plugins/

IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ:

The plugins are now installed here:

/usr/lib/dssi

NOT here:

/usr/local/lib/dssi

I did this to align LMS plugins with what the rest of the DSSI industry is doing... The .deb will automatically delete the old files, but you need to make sure that your DSSI host is looking in /usr/lib/dssi for plugins.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: LMS DSSI Plugin Suite 12.03 released

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Great Stuff! Thank you x1000 for the packaging helper stuff. With your blessing I'd like to include your bundle in AV Linux for the next release, that way folks can try them Live.

Keep up the great work, these are some nice plugins!
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

Great Stuff! Thank you x1000 for the packaging helper stuff. With your blessing I'd like to include your bundle in AV Linux for the next release, that way folks can try them Live.

Keep up the great work, these are some nice plugins!
I would be honored :D

To be honest, I'm still a complete noob at packaging. I guess you're probably going to add your digital signature to the package, and possibly other things. If you want to send my the commands you use to do that (minus your super-secret password and distro-specific stuff, of course), I can add them to the packaging script for you. At the moment, it creates the .deb files system and DEBIAN directory with the control file and postinst script, but I've never run a PPA or a distro before, so I don't know how you guys handle those parts.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

The debs you have there are fine as-is for me, If your script allows me to build the packages with changes to the maintainer and email that's plenty good. AV Linux is a bit different having the emphasis on the ISO with an optional packages FTP, we currently just have a kernel repo and Debian doesn't use PPA's so I just need good debs which you already have kindly provided. Since you have your own packages I'm mostly interested in having the plugins installed on the LiveDVD at the present time if that makes sense. :)
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

Awesome :)

My concern was that I might only be providing the first 12 steps of a 20 step process :mrgreen:

BTW, great job on AV Linux, earlier this week I evaluated all of the audio-specific distros, plus a few others, like Fedora, OpenSuse, etc... AV Linux definitely stood out, in both aesthetics, workflow and the included applications. I'm going to add an AV Linux partition to my developer workstation some time this weekend.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks,

That's nice to hear, please let me know if you have any difficulties or questions. I am here at LM's fairly sporadically but I check the AV Linux forums daily.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

OK,

Ran into a little bump in the road that I had to fix by modding your dependencies a bit. AV Linux doesn't use JACK2 so I had to change the dependency to 'libjack-dev' which is not a big deal. I can see what you're attempting to do by making the dependencies '-dev' libs you are letting the package manager pull in the actual runtime libs and sort out the different package names between Debian and Ubuntu, that's a pretty sly trick! :)

If you make the jack dependency 'jackd' then it is a little more generic and If I'm not mistaken I believe both Debian and Ubuntu have an umbrella package called 'jackd' that is present whether the user is using JACK 1 or 2. You certainly don't have to change this for my sake unless you run into problems elsewhere I just thought I'd mention it.

Here is my package if you want to take it apart and have a look: http://bandshed.net/custom/lms_suite-12 ... 1-i386.deb
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

jeffh wrote:Hi All,
Thats a nice update. Used the Delay and filter with the new 3.7.1 version
of Amplitube, and it all sounded quite nice! :)
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

GMaq wrote:I can see what you're attempting to do by making the dependencies '-dev' libs you are letting the package manager pull in the actual runtime libs and sort out the different package names between Debian and Ubuntu, that's a pretty sly trick! :)
It's really more of a case of beginner's luck than a sly trick, I was just throwing every dependency I could find at it, -dev suffix and all :lol:

To fully disclose my noob-ness, and set the proper expectation: I have roughly 10 years of audio-DSP experience, but only 2 months of experience with C, C++, Qt. :mrgreen: I'm doing well enough with the first 3, but GNU Autotools, packaging, and dependencies are still a mystery to me. I have been doing Perl, Bash, and PHP a little longer, though...

I'm going to test the dependecies in your package in Ubuntu, and if they work, then I'll go with yours, with a nice little code comment in my script crediting you for it, of course.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

slowpick wrote:
jeffh wrote:Hi All,
Thats a nice update. Used the Delay and filter with the new 3.7.1 version
of Amplitube, and it all sounded quite nice! :)
Glad you liked it :)

I took a little break from churning out new plugins to perfect some of the basics of LibModSynth, which was most of the new stuff in the 12.03 update. The 12.04 update should see some new plugins, and improvements to existing ones (like the output gain knob I just added to LMS Distortion, what on earth was I thinking when I wrote that without one?)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

jeffh wrote:
GMaq wrote:I can see what you're attempting to do by making the dependencies '-dev' libs you are letting the package manager pull in the actual runtime libs and sort out the different package names between Debian and Ubuntu, that's a pretty sly trick! :)
It's really more of a case of beginner's luck than a sly trick, I was just throwing every dependency I could find at it, -dev suffix and all :lol:

To fully disclose my noob-ness, and set the proper expectation: I have roughly 10 years of audio-DSP experience, but only 2 months of experience with C, C++, Qt. :mrgreen: I'm doing well enough with the first 3, but GNU Autotools, packaging, and dependencies are still a mystery to me. I have been doing Perl, Bash, and PHP a little longer, though...

I'm going to test the dependecies in your package in Ubuntu, and if they work, then I'll go with yours, with a nice little code comment in my script crediting you for it, of course.
Hi

That's an impressive set of skills you have going on there! I should clarify the package I made has 'libjack-dev' instead of 'jackd' as a dependency. I kind of thought about using 'jackd' as I was typing my post after I had modded the package... :oops: so it may want to swap JACK2 with JACK1 in your Ubuntu install scenario. There are other ways of doing it as well with a '|' separator but see what 'jackd' does and if it's not doing the trick we can try providing both JACK versons in the dependencies with a separator.
Guaipeca

Post by Guaipeca »

Hi!

Great work, but I can't install on Debian Whezzy 64bit.

When installing the lms_suite-12.03-1-amd64.deb with gdebi I get this message:

dpkg: error processing /home/jorge/Personal/Instalar/lms_suite-12.03-1-amd64.deb (--install):
parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/control' near line 16 package 'lms-suite':
blank line in value of field 'Description'
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/jorge/Personal/Instalar/lms_suite-12.03-1-amd64.deb

There is something that I can do?
Guaipeca

Post by Guaipeca »

Hi again,

I found the problem: In control file, need remove blank lines between:

The suite currently includes:
ray_v

lms_comb

lms_delay

lms_distortion

lms_filter

Removing these blank lines the install works perfect.

Cheers!
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

GMaq wrote:I should clarify the package I made has 'libjack-dev' instead of 'jackd' as a dependency. I kind of thought about using 'jackd' as I was typing my post after I had modded the package... :oops: so it may want to swap JACK2 with JACK1 in your Ubuntu install scenario. There are other ways of doing it as well with a '|' separator but see what 'jackd' does and if it's not doing the trick we can try providing both JACK versons in the dependencies with a separator.
Or, I could just have that build-all.pl script I wrote pause to ask a question about whether it's Ubuntu or Debian, and/or command line arguments, like:

Code: Select all

perl build-all.pl --debian
or

perl build-all.pl --ubuntu-11.10
Eventually, there will be an option to create an RPM package, so I was going to eventually add those switches anyways. If it doesn't work both ways, there's no reason why we have to be tied to one set of dependencies.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

Guaipeca wrote:Hi again,

I found the problem: In control file, need remove blank lines between:

The suite currently includes:
ray_v

lms_comb

lms_delay

lms_distortion

lms_filter

Removing these blank lines the install works perfect.

Cheers!
Thanks for that, I had the extra lines in there because Ubuntu Software Centre would show them all on the same line if I didn't. I'll just get rid of the extra lines and just make it something like:

The suite currently includes: ray_v, lms_comb, lms_delay ,lms_distortion and lms_filter. 
Thank you all very much for the feedback and assistance, LibModSynth is much better because of it :)