LMS DSSI Plugin Suite 12.03 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

jeffh
Established Member

Re: LMS DSSI Plugin Suite 12.03 released

Post by jeffh »

I think I've got just about everybody sorted out now. On my Sourceforge page here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmods ... s/plugins/

There are now separate -ubuntu and -debian packages. Also, in my project's GIT repo, there are now options in the build-all.pl script to compile for Ubuntu, or Debian. You can type this:

Code: Select all

perl build-all.pl --help
to see the options, or just type:

Code: Select all

perl build-all.pl
, and it will ask you which OS to compile for. Eventually I'll add RPM and maybe other package types.

The extra lines that were causing it not to install for Guaipeca on Debian have been removed.

I also added the DEBIAN/md5sums file that I spotted in GMaq's package :mrgreen:

I'm working on adding the DEBIAN/copyright file, but I'm not 100% sure how to do it properly, so I'm going to snoop around some of the official Ubuntu repo packages until I can reverse engineer the proper way to do it.

I should also note that even though I didn't increment the version number, this one has some of the latest improvements from GIT, such as the output volume knob in LMS Distortion. Those of you who already installed my package can just download the new package and re-install lms-suite-12.03 to get the latest.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Great!

Thanks for your pretty much immediate response and fixes to this, I'll try your updated packages this weekend (working a lot of hours this week) and let you know if I run into anything. It is unfortunate that Debian and Ubuntu have so many package name conflicts, although this seems to be improving slowly especially with multimedia stuff. Ubuntu is sometimes like the tail wagging the dog...lol
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi Again,

OK I got a minute today to take a look on your latest package and it's still a no-go with AV Linux and I would assume also with any Debian distro with JACK1. Because only 'libjack-jackd2-dev' is in your 'Depends' line it wants to satisfy the jackd dependency with JACK2. I altered the line with a separator and included the development libs for both versions of JACK like this:

Depends: liblo-dev, dssi-dev, ladspa-sdk, libasound2-dev, qjackctl, libjack-dev | libjack-jackd2-dev, libsndfile1-dev, libsamplerate0-dev, libsm-dev, liblscp-dev, libmad0-dev

This works as expected and installs fine, another issue I saw was the lack of a whitespace after the commas which is a no-no for Debian, this is also reflected in the example line above. These issues should not really be specific to AV Linux and I certainly don't expect you to fix this just for me, I just thought I'd pass that along for your future reference...

Oh yeah one more thing you may want to look into...

I've been testing falkTX's (KXStudio developer) Carla plugin host which also works with DSSI plugins if you are not already aware of it. I tested your plugins and I get an error when trying to launch them relating to the JACK Client name being more than 33 Characters. Here is the exact error from the terminal:

"LMS Comb (Powered by LibModSynth)" is too long to be used as a JACK client name.
Please use 33 characters or less.

I'm not sure who needs to fix what here, but certainly Carla will be a host that will definitely be much more complete and used than some of it's predecessors once it is finished, just thought you might want to know that as well... :)

Well, gotta go, I have some new DSSI plugins to play with !
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

Sweet!!! I think you might have found the cause of the weird problems I've been having with LMS Comb :) It makes a weird noise in Rosegarden, and I never could figure out why. I'll look into that ASAP.

As far as the other stuff, I'll add that to the LMS build script right now... Like I said before, I'm a complete noob to packaging on Linux, and I definitely appreciate your input. I'll probably re-up a 12.03-2 package for it either tonight or tomorrow, as I also have a new plugin finished: LMS EQ5.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

I've got lms_suite-12.03-2 up on my sourceforge page now.

Changes include:
*Updated my Debian dependencies per GMaq's suggestion
*New plugin: LMS EQ5 : 5 band parametric EQ
*Shortened the DSSI names of all plugins by removing the (Powered by LibModSynth) tag (thanks again, GMaq)
*packages now contain documentation and license in /usr/share/docs/lms_suite
*big improvements to the packaging script

About LMS EQ5. It's in pretty decent shape, but I'm going to tweak the underlying DSP between now and the release of lms_suite-12.04, I think the boosts sound OK, but I don't feel like the cuts are cutting as much as they should, which is probably one of those crazy filter-phase-shift deals.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Well Looky There!

Package worked with no alterations and as an added bonus I present LMS-Suite in Carla:

Last edited by GMaq on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

Excellent, thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

jeffh wrote:I've got lms_suite-12.03-2 up on my sourceforge page now.
Changes include:
In an experimental setup, where qjackctl is installed,
Comb-filter, EQ, and Distortion GUIs appeared, but Filter, Delay, and Ray_v did not. :?
The underlying engines all worked. The errors mentioned an undefined symbol,
and a color that was not found.

Is there a difference in dependencies, between these two groups?
I'm feeling lucky :wink:
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

slowpick wrote:
jeffh wrote:I've got lms_suite-12.03-2 up on my sourceforge page now.
Changes include:
In an experimental setup, where qjackctl is installed,
Comb-filter, EQ, and Distortion GUIs appeared, but Filter, Delay, and Ray_v did not. :?
The underlying engines all worked. The errors mentioned an undefined symbol,
and a color that was not found.

Is there a difference in dependencies, between these two groups?
I'm feeling lucky :wink:
Hmmm.... Exactly what is your experimental setup?

To answer your question: The only difference I can think of is that the last 3 use a Qt QComboBox for dropdown selections, and the first 3 don't... Other than that, they should all have the exact same dependencies.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

I'll try to update the QT versions, which were of Sqeeze vintage, so I may have been
lucky to be batting 500 :)
the error message:

LMS_qt: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11Detach_growEPii (same for the three plugins)

working plugins have this terminal output:

QCssParser::parseHexColor: Unknown color name '#FFOECE'
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

slowpick wrote:I'll try to update the QT versions, which were of Sqeeze vintage, so I may have been
lucky to be batting 500 :)
the error message:

LMS_qt: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11Detach_growEPii (same for the three plugins)
I think I've found the answer to this one, but I would have to start compiling against older versions of Qt to make it work, it's a Qt 4.6 to Qt 4.7 problem, see:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/lmms/ ... ?f=7&t=338
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5009 ... lucid-lynx
http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/15021

I think what I should probably do going forward is either distribute some minimal Qt binaries with LMS, or if that's not feasible, maybe just compile my binaries on older versions of Ubuntu... That might be a while off, because it's going to require a whole lot of testing.
slowpick wrote: working plugins have this terminal output:

QCssParser::parseHexColor: Unknown color name '#FFOECE'
That's from the CSS used to theme my GUI GroupBoxes with that gray-colored gradient. I think that's just a warning that can be ignored, it's always done that on every machine I've ever run my plugins on.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Unless it happens often, probably better for the labcoaters to just upgrade QT :)
Maybe put a dependencies note in a readme if it's not there already.
This weekend is flying past :shock:
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

slowpick wrote:Unless it happens often, probably better for the labcoaters to just upgrade QT :)
What frightens me is that Qt5 is going to be released soon :shock: