Dawn of a new Daw

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

linuxdsp
Established Member

Re: Dawn of a new Daw

Post by linuxdsp »

I'd really like to try this to see if it works with my LV2 plugins, but so far I'm unfortunately unable to get past the first dialogue box (although it does look nice). I managed to build the source and install it, but then as I have no existing projects / sessions, when I try and create a new one I'm presented with some problems:

1. I selected "Create New"
2. I browsed to a location, and tried to 'Create Folder' - crash... Some kind of Gtk-Critical message...
3. After killing the process (The UI had been destroyed in the crash but the process wouldn't quit) I restarted it
4. I filled in the "Create New" dialogue as best I could... but
5. "All required information has not been provided" <OK>
6. I can't provide all the information because I don't have an oom file and I don't have an LSCP file and I don't know how to find or create one (and I shouldn't have to)
7. Are there some defaults?
8. I quit out of the first dialogue, then had to ps -ax.. kill.. etc from another terminal to actually exit

This is on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

linuxdsp wrote:I'd really like to try this to see if it works with my LV2 plugins, but so far I'm unfortunately unable to get past the first dialogue box (although it does look nice). I managed to build the source and install it, but then as I have no existing projects / sessions, when I try and create a new one I'm presented with some problems:

1. I selected "Create New"
2. I browsed to a location, and tried to 'Create Folder' - crash... Some kind of Gtk-Critical message...
3. After killing the process (The UI had been destroyed in the crash but the process wouldn't quit) I restarted it
4. I filled in the "Create New" dialogue as best I could... but
5. "All required information has not been provided" <OK>
6. I can't provide all the information because I don't have an oom file and I don't have an LSCP file and I don't know how to find or create one (and I shouldn't have to)
7. Are there some defaults?
8. I quit out of the first dialogue, then had to ps -ax.. kill.. etc from another terminal to actually exit

This is on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Type oomidi and it'll open without referring to oostudio.

Thanks for the heads up about default empty .oom and .lscp files.

We've already got some based on using the SSO sample lib, and trying to give users as close to a plug and play experience as possible, but i get your point about a blank default set to get going with. We'll have a look at this (with the same intent of getting users going as easily as possible).

I've just adjusted the Installing OOM page of the wiki to reflect the alternative option.

https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki/Installing-OOM

Appreciate the input, thanks.

Alex.

p.s. Just tried CH-EQ in an OOM buss, and it works fine.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

Thanks for the information, I'll give it another go, it looks very impressive, so after tracking down the dependencies and going through the build process I was looking forward to seeing what it could do (which is why its disappointing when it doesn't 'just work') - I had a similar experience building A3 from source recently too.. 4 hours to build and then nothing except for a segfault :( That particular issue seems to have been fixed, and I know this is always an issue for software which is still under development, but its still frustrating when it happens..
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

linuxdsp wrote:Thanks for the information, I'll give it another go, it looks very impressive, so after tracking down the dependencies and going through the build process I was looking forward to seeing what it could do (which is why its disappointing when it doesn't 'just work') - I had a similar experience building A3 from source recently too.. 4 hours to build and then nothing except for a segfault :( That particular issue seems to have been fixed, and I know this is always an issue for software which is still under development, but its still frustrating when it happens..

np, and we're determined to make the build, install, and runtime process as plug and play as possible, so feedback on your experience is good.

As to the crash and freeze, can i ask which version of QT you're using? There used to be a nasty native dialog bug that's been fixed in later versions.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

we're determined to make the build, install, and runtime process as plug and play as possible, so feedback on your experience is good.
That's something I think is very important - there are lots of great linux audio projects, but quite a few suffer from a less than perfect user experience in terms of 'plug and play' and its something that I put a lot of work into trying to get right with my software (hence why I wanted to see how well it worked with Open Octave) and I hope to see more projects that make the process easier / simpler so that linux audio can gain a much wider and more mainstream 'acceptance'

Just tried starting oomidi and it seems fine.

I'm using the standard qt package for 10.04 which I believe is 4.6.2
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

linuxdsp wrote:
we're determined to make the build, install, and runtime process as plug and play as possible, so feedback on your experience is good.
That's something I think is very important - there are lots of great linux audio projects, but quite a few suffer from a less than perfect user experience in terms of 'plug and play' and its something that I put a lot of work into trying to get right with my software (hence why I wanted to see how well it worked with Open Octave) and I hope to see more projects that make the process easier / simpler so that linux audio can gain a much wider and more mainstream 'acceptance'

Just tried starting oomidi and it seems fine.

I'm using the standard qt package for 10.04 which I believe is 4.6.2

Ok, thanks. It's recent enough, so that eliminates one possible source of the problem.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Just as a further heads up for you, and other users, in our wiki are instructions for installing the SSO (Sonatina) sample lib set, which is a CC licenced Sample lib created by Mattias Westlund. We've built default .lscp and .oom files for this sample lib, which are installed by default when you build OOM.

When starting OOM from oostudio, browse to the Select Template dropdown menu in the Create New tab, and select "OOMidi_Orchestral_Template". This will bring up a default set of oomidi-template files, and you only need to give the session a name, and a location, then check your jackd command line text. (Jack can be excluded from the session, if you wish to run it in the background all the time, by unchecking the jack checkbox).

This relies on you building the SSO and installing it correctly, and building Linuxsampler from svn, which has SFZ as well as GIG engines. (SSO is an SFZ format sample lib)

The SSO lib is just over 500MB, and although not exactly small, is a good start for users to add Orchestral sounds to their masterpiece.

Instructions for Installing the SSO can be found here:

https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki/OOMidi-Templates

Please note we've "linuxified" our build of SSO, so please use our version on Linux for a successful experience, instead of the generic SSO version.

Alex.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Mike and others, we've updated OOStudio to include some empty defaults for creating sessions, and added some nice tweaks to further enhance the install experience for OOM as well.

Tarball is now OOMidi-2011.2.

Enjoy!

Alex.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

falkTX wrote:For everyone having trouble compiling (and using Ubuntu), the KXStudio repos now have OpenOctave 2011 :)

Repositories information:
http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudi ... ies#Ubuntu

Add the repos, update, and install 'oomidi-2011'.

The launch apps are 'oomidi-2011' and 'oostudio-2011'.
It will install itself into /opt, otherwise some files will conflict with muse/muse2.

Enjoy!

ps: sonata sample library is not there (big upload!), so you'll have to install it manually

Falk, great news and thanks for packaging OOMidi for all our users. :)

We're adding logos and text for each binary made, to our Installing OOM wiki, so users know which distros they have binaries for. Are you ok if we add your logo and text, and if so, can you send us an icon (png ) to add?

Thanks again, and great to see OOMidi getting out there so quickly.

P.S. we'll have new package out in the next day or two, as OOMidi-2011.3 which is few tweaks we've done as a result of some great user feedback.

We also have an announce mailing list for packagers, so they can keep up with the latest updates.

https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki

Thanks again,

Alex.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

falkTX wrote:
alex stone wrote:Falk, great news and thanks for packaging OOMidi for all our users. :)

We're adding logos and text for each binary made, to our Installing OOM wiki, so users know which distros they have binaries for. Are you ok if we add your logo and text, and if so, can you send us an icon (png ) to add?

Thanks again, and great to see OOMidi getting out there so quickly.

P.S. we'll have new package out in the next day or two, as OOMidi-2011.3 which is few tweaks we've done as a result of some great user feedback.

We also have an announce mailing list for packagers, so they can keep up with the latest updates.

https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki

Thanks again,

Alex.
You sure got a great wiki, nice job. (I usually hate to write documentation, so I'm impressed with all the work done in the wiki).

The KXStudio project needs a new icon, but until it changes, you can use:
16x16 -> http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/favicon.png
64x64 -> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/41431298/kxstudio_64.png
(I actually lost the original SVG for the logo... :( )

I added myself to the mailing list, thanks for that too.

btw, in case you missed it, latest hydrogen svn now has jack-midi support (I found composite to be a bit crashy). It works as a new jack client, so the implementation could be a bit better (but I guess it needs to be this way since it's midi engine, portmidi, has no jack support).

can I ask what happened to native vst support? are you guys still interested on keeping it alive?
(I can help there if you need)

Falk, thanks, and yes i don't like doing documentation either. :)

Thanks for the heads up about Hydrogen. I'll have a look when i get some time. With OOStudio, adding hydrogen to a session is really simple, as it is for Xjadeo, and indeed any other app. (you can start firefox from OOStudio if you wanted to. :) )

As far as VST goes, we found the functionality problematic, so we turned it off for the time being. We're not focused on it, as we have a list of features and functions that are directly related to what we do. but it's certainly possible that if the current structure was rebuilt and/or improved we'd be ok having it as a feature in OOM. I've read recently that the latest Vestige version does pretty well with FST/VST, so replacing our current outdated VST framework may be an option too. All things are possible.

We had some great feedback from an OOMer that uses OOStudio to successfully run wine versions of VSTs and VSTIs in a session, by wrapping the wine commands in aliases, and adding them to an OOStudio session. Very interesting stuff, and he's having a great time running all those VSTis he's bought, in a one click session environment.

Anything you want to contribute to OOM development would be appreciated.

We'd like to help OOMers have a great ride. :)

Onwards and Upwards.

Alex.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

falkTX wrote:For everyone having trouble compiling (and using Ubuntu), the KXStudio repos now have OpenOctave 2011 :)

Repositories information:
http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudi ... ies#Ubuntu

Add the repos, update, and install 'oomidi-2011'.

The launch apps are 'oomidi-2011' and 'oostudio-2011'.
It will install itself into /opt, otherwise some files will conflict with muse/muse2.

Enjoy!

ps: sonata sample library is not there (big upload!), so you'll have to install it manually

Falk, we've had a few users of your package report back that oostudio is not working or missing. Could you have a look at this please?

Thanks,

Alex.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Hi, I would like this oomidi/studio to have a menu to open labeled audio and midi ports
in both qjackctl, and the oomidi interface. And for new connections in either,
to appear in both.

Then, when a connection to yoshimi, phasex etc is made, whether in qjackctl, or oomidi,
I would like for the instrument to appear docked in a simple rack, like calf_jack_host,
with the same style 'edit' button, that launches or re-docks the related gui.
(perhaps jp1 from linuxdsp, would be easier to work with than qjackctl for connection options?)

This usability would greatly enhance the experience of new users, and bring
some valuable linkage to established linux audio users.

The latest version of guitarix also has some nice touches, like separate mono and stereo
racks for enabled fx. A modular rack that would host ladspa, lv2, linux vst, (and Steinberg vst
when jack_dssi_host and fst/Festige are running) would make this a killer app. Forgive me
is some of this is already implemented, I have not had time to read or study this great software.

Drag/Drop support for .gig files when linuxsampler is running? Greed is good, saith the gecko :lol:
I must say, the various gui elements are some of the finest anywhere! It draws the user in.
Congratulations on the release.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

slowpick wrote:Hi, I would like this oomidi/studio to have a menu to open labeled audio and midi ports
to appear in both.

Then, when a connection to yoshimi, phasex etc is made, whether in qjackctl, or oomidi,
I would like for the instrument to appear docked in a simple rack, like calf_jack_host,
(perhaps jp1 from linuxdsp, would be easier to work with than qjackctl for connection options?)

The latest version of guitarix also has some nice touches, like separate mono and stereo
racks for enabled fx. A modular rack that would host ladspa, lv2, linux vst, (and Steinberg vst
when jack_dssi_host and fst/Festige are running) would make this a killer app. Forgive me
is some of this is already implemented, I have not had time to read or study this great software.

Drag/Drop support for .gig files when linuxsampler is running? Greed is good, saith the gecko :lol:
I must say, the various gui elements are some of the finest anywhere! It draws the user in.

slowpick, some useful suggestion in here, thanks for contributing.

We're currently examining the port structure for both midi and audio, and the mechanism required by the user to get going. It's a bit unwieldy at the moment, and we're working towards making it a lot easier, so stay tuned on this one.

For the rack you suggested, we've been looking at Falktx's fine work, and we think he's got this covered nicely. So an efficient means to have his apps and oomidi talking to each other nicely is being discussed, with all parties involved in examining the most efficient design model. It's early days yet, but the process has started.

Drag and drop support for gig files would require some sort of UI in OOMidi with which the user could work. We use LS as a full server backend, and communicate with it using liblscp. We'll need to examine how feasible this is, but we have a bit of a list at the moment to work through, so i'll make a note of it for the future. We have discussed a tighter integration with LS, so you're on the right track here.

Thanks for the note about the GUI. We worked hard to polish it up, but just as importantly, re-arrange the functions into workflow efficient areas. That's why we have very few entries in the menus, and the occasional sub-menu, and more functions directly under your fingertips.

We're certainly not done yet. There are many features to go in towards our 2012 intended release, as well as important work optimizing OOMidi, both in code efficient and workflow areas.
ccherrett
Established Member

Post by ccherrett »

slowpick wrote:Hi, I would like this oomidi/studio to have a menu to open labeled audio and midi ports
to appear in both.

Yes some good ideas there. I will put them into our roadmap talks in the next few days

Thanks for taking the time!

If you would like to talk more about it then join us in irc freenode #openoctave in the next few days
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org