KXStudio now for Peppermint!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

i2productions
Established Member

KXStudio now for Peppermint!

Post by i2productions »

With the upcoming release of my review of Peppermint OS Two, I thought it would be fun to see if KXStudio would run on it. After a bit of trial and error I found one of the most stable enviroments for it! I've detailed the install process here: http://i2productions.com/lir/?p=276
i2productions
Established Member

Re: KXStudio now for Peppermint!

Post by i2productions »

Always happy to assist. I still have peppermint loaded on my system.(I'm really starting to dig the peppermint+kxstudio combo!)
paldepind
Established Member

Post by paldepind »

i2productions wrote:Always happy to assist. I still have peppermint loaded on my system.(I'm really starting to dig the peppermint+kxstudio combo!)
Is it just LXDE that you prefer (Lubuntu would be just as good). Or is there anything special about Peppermint that you like?
Jaaxx
Established Member

Post by Jaaxx »

Peppermint is very light and ideal for a standalone studio workstation or for low-powered machines. Seems much snappier than vanilla Lubuntu to me.

FalkTX - Standby, I'll have a patch for kxstudio-menu later this evening to make it work with LXDE's menu.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

paldepind wrote:
i2productions wrote:Always happy to assist. I still have peppermint loaded on my system.(I'm really starting to dig the peppermint+kxstudio combo!)
Is it just LXDE that you prefer (Lubuntu would be just as good). Or is there anything special about Peppermint that you like?
It's not lxde I want. It's a great low power desktop, but I'm really a gnome guy. Lubuntu is definitely not as good in my experience. Lubuntu just slaps lxde over the current Ubuntu and pretty much calls it a day. Peppermint has been well customised to be light, easy to use, and relatively more free of bugs then it's ubuntu cousin. It mixes pieces of Lubuntu and Mint to achieve a very nice, stable distro.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

That's a great question that I will now forward to the developer of peppermint and provide when I finally get the review out.

My uninformed answer is that peppermint is designed as a hybrid cloud OS out of the box. It's an offline distro consisting of mostly cloud applications with a custom web app launcher, but has the functionality of getting the ubuntu repos and ppas. Many people I have talked to on their forum though just like it better than lubuntu for its tweaks and stability
paldepind
Established Member

Post by paldepind »

i2productions wrote: It's not lxde I want. It's a great low power desktop, but I'm really a gnome guy. Lubuntu is definitely not as good in my experience. Lubuntu just slaps lxde over the current Ubuntu and pretty much calls it a day. Peppermint has been well customised to be light, easy to use, and relatively more free of bugs then it's ubuntu cousin. It mixes pieces of Lubuntu and Mint to achieve a very nice, stable distro.
Thanks for your explanation :D