Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
autostatic
Established Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby autostatic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:31 pm

You're right nedko, I misinterpreted it, therefore I apologize. It's really hard to distill information from all the current discussions and forming an opinion as a layman user. So I'll have to think twice before posting conclusions like this in the future.

Best,

Jeremy

User avatar
studio32
Established Member
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby studio32 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 pm

I do think that Harrison Mixbus is pulling more users to use a app which is basically the same as Ardour (Without DSP). Those users are used to Logic ProTools etc. and they will give feedback to Mixbus. Also Mixbus is 'buy software' so they might be more 'forced' to support there customers also with things which are not always popular on Linux like user friendliness and intuitive use of software. I think this will improve Ardour and makes it also more user friendly, easier for converts from other DAWS and more production ready e.g. stable. Besides that, Harrison Consoles will use their knowledge and experience to give feedback on Ardour. It's good when people in the pro world are directly involved with Ardour.

I think we should be happy that this available on the Linux platform. It helps us, it helps Linux as audio platform and it helps Ardour!

If LV2 develops more and more, there will be an open source 'Mixbus' in the future ;)

SR
Established Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby SR » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:39 am

I like the fact that Mixbus is now available for Linux. On one hand it gives us more choices of software in the form of a commercially supported version of Ardour. And on the other hand it offers some kick ass mixer functionality. I bought it the day it was announced for Linux and it's really been a blast to play around with it. It brings back a lot of the things that made mixing fun on analog consoles.

User avatar
josander
Established Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:41 am

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby josander » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 am

As a (wannabe) musician and composer, I have a very simple first priority: -The music.

I always use Open Sourced software whenever possible and when its not standing in the way for my work or creative flow.

As I said: The music has first priority, and commercial software like the LinuxDSP LV2 plugins, Harrison Mixbus and Pianoteq have changed my music life radically to the better. This products always works in a predictable way (so far) and if I want something done, they're just doing the job instantly when I click on something or turn a button, and the prices are very reasonable. From what I see on the 'Net - or was it videos? I don't remember - The Harrison Mixer is so good that it seems to me that some people prefer to or are talking about doing the mixes with Mixbus even when they have Pro Tools or Logic. Not bad for something that costs a tiny bit under $80!

There is a lot of high quality Open Source software and I don't really see any need for ie. VST's in my world. And still in my little world: I don't need OSX or MS Windows or something running under wine in order to make music with a good working flow. I do also use for example Rosegarden (I don't miss MIDI in Ardour at all), many OSS plugins, Hydrogen, CountBeats, Linuxsampler and.. you name it.

Ideally, the LinuxDSP plugins, Harrison Mixbus and Pianoteq should be open sourced, but it's apparently hard enough to do a living as it is even when it's closed. I'm more than willing to pay for closed software like this when they are giving so much value for the money and helping me with my music.

So I'm very grateful that some one are willing to use their time to make commercial software under Linux, It's not very hard to imagine that it exists easier ways of making a living - And.. I'm also very grateful for the big amount of time and intellect very many people have used for making so much wonderful Open Source software. Thank you all!

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2276
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby funkmuscle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:05 am

josander wrote:As a (wannabe) musician and composer, I have a very simple first priority: -The music.

I always use Open Sourced software whenever possible and when its not standing in the way for my work or creative flow.

As I said: The music has first priority, and commercial software like the LinuxDSP LV2 plugins, Harrison Mixbus and Pianoteq have changed my music life radically to the better. This products always works in a predictable way (so far) and if I want something done, they're just doing the job instantly when I click on something or turn a button, and the prices are very reasonable. From what I see on the 'Net - or was it videos? I don't remember - The Harrison Mixer is so good that it seems to me that some people prefer to or are talking about doing the mixes with Mixbus even when they have Pro Tools or Logic. Not bad for something that costs a tiny bit under $80!

There is a lot of high quality Open Source software and I don't really see any need for ie. VST's in my world. And still in my little world: I don't need OSX or MS Windows or something running under wine in order to make music with a good working flow. I do also use for example Rosegarden (I don't miss MIDI in Ardour at all), many OSS plugins, Hydrogen, CountBeats, Linuxsampler and.. you name it.

Ideally, the LinuxDSP plugins, Harrison Mixbus and Pianoteq should be open sourced, but it's apparently hard enough to do a living as it is even when it's closed. I'm more than willing to pay for closed software like this when they are giving so much value for the money and helping me with my music.

So I'm very grateful that some one are willing to use their time to make commercial software under Linux, It's not very hard to imagine that it exists easier ways of making a living - And.. I'm also very grateful for the big amount of time and intellect very many people have used for making so much wonderful Open Source software. Thank you all!

:D
That is great to hear from someone who actually uses all that stuff...
thanx josander

steevc
Established Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 7:05 pm
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby steevc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am

Mixbus gets a very favourable review on Musicradar (from Future Music magazine)

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/comp ... 334/review

They don't exactly shout that it's a Linux app, but it's good to see open source apps like Jack getting mentioned there.
Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Blog - http://studiospoon.blogspot.co.uk/
Recording via M-Audio Delta 66 (+Omni i/o) and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and M-Audio Uno for my Casio keyboard.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2276
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby funkmuscle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 am

that's the part I hate, not mentioning Linux... we're still the after thought but not for too long.... Linux will be at the top soon.... :D

EDIT:
actually, it's a pretty good read... nice balance between Linux and OSX so that's cool from the reviewer.

steevc
Established Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 7:05 pm
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby steevc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

I just thought they could have mentioned Linux in the headline, but then OSX is only in the article text too.

They run a regular series on free VSTs/plug-in, but I've not noticed any mention of Linux there. I think they assume everyone uses Macs and Windows. These magazines don't want to upset their advertisers who want you to buy their software by pushing the free options too much. I expect that a lot of the free plug-ins have better versions you have to pay for.
Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Blog - http://studiospoon.blogspot.co.uk/
Recording via M-Audio Delta 66 (+Omni i/o) and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and M-Audio Uno for my Casio keyboard.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2276
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby funkmuscle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 pm

eventually, they will have to respect the fact that Linux is a force, a very powerful and they will cater to us soon... if not, we don't need them... :D

dazastah
Established Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby dazastah » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:58 am

Before i comment, i'd just like to say that i've come from a background of using windows and osx.. AS a musician, paying for the tools you use ie instruments, mic pres , hardware,Software. is just what it is.. Because after all, i charge my clients for for my time and knowledge.. Sure when my clients ask me questions about mixing and engineering techniques, i happily rattle off in great detail what i'm doing. I'm always sussing out wether the clients gain more interest in becoming engineers and mixers themselves and what there budget is.. Then i decide what things to suggest to them.. IF they are on a low budget with time as theyre friend, i suggest non paying software... Linux attracted me because of free knowledge and non paying software.. But it repels me because i spent time trying to figure out how things work.. And i dont have time to do that.. (I would totally love too. But in reality there are bills to pay, and i earn money making music) And it is draining to spend a week reading/reserching trial and erroring when as a musician, all you want to do it pick up an instrument and start creating some music.
Coming from windows and osx, something like jack would be the most advanced breakthrough for those platforms..(win osx) And i found Jack by googling hoping that i'd find something for win osx. Then i found linux.
So after the Rant.. Harrison Mixbus is a great tool for mixing/engineering. And very very good value for money for the things it does... This type of thing attracts commercial vendours and the likes.. Namely Hardware commercial vendours... Which means more Hardware support for linux... And that's what i think is the main thing that holds musicians back from delving into linux... HArdware support...

User avatar
raboof
Established Member
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby raboof » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:55 am

dazastah wrote:it repels me because i spent time trying to figure out how things work.. And i dont have time to do that.. (I would totally love too. But in reality there are bills to pay, and i earn money making music) And it is draining to spend a week reading/reserching trial and erroring when as a musician, all you want to do it pick up an instrument and start creating some music


While this is undeniably true, I'm not so sure it's a difference between Linux and other platforms: any new platform will have a learning curve. I once tried doing some simple MIDI on Windows and was quickly frustrated because everything was confusing and not working coming from a Linux background.

That said, we should make it as easy as possible for people to get started, of course.

slowpick
Established Member
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby slowpick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:35 pm

funkmuscle wrote:eventually, they will have to respect the fact that Linux is a force, a very powerful and they will cater to us soon... if not, we don't need them... :D

DAWs are a $billion dollar industry, and growing. I doubt a few hunded linux power users, and
a few thousand dedicated hobbyists, will even nudge the force needle, as long as respect
is measured by entrepreneurs, in sales figures. But as you say,
linux audio users have less need for non-linux resources each year. As long as class compliant
hardware is sold, and creative minds reside in benevolent souls, there will be software solutions
that can be freely distributed. :)

slowpick
Established Member
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby slowpick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 pm

steevc wrote:I just thought they could have mentioned Linux in the headline, but then OSX is only in the article text too.

They run a regular series on free VSTs/plug-in, but I've not noticed any mention of Linux there. I think they assume everyone uses Macs and Windows. These magazines don't want to upset their advertisers who want you to buy their software by pushing the free options too much. I expect that a lot of the free plug-ins have better versions you have to pay for.

Freeware DAWs, sometimes have more full featured commercial versions, and there are light versions
of big-name DAWs often bundled with hardware.

I think it's a bit different with plugins, where most freewares are the
actual full product, and sometimes upgraded freely along the way. There are a few that are lesser versions of commercial products, like 'player' versions, given or sold with certain styles or collections of presets, but lacking deep editing, or full load/save options. Since competition is fierce, various generous demo schemes are used, with the periodic HISS losing favor with the buying public. Most of the freeware runs fine in wine, and a lot of it is excellent quality. :)

slowpick
Established Member
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby slowpick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:07 pm

raboof wrote:
dazastah wrote:it repels me because i spent time trying to figure out how things work.. And i dont have time to do that.. (I would totally love too. But in reality there are bills to pay, and i earn money making music) And it is draining to spend a week reading/reserching trial and erroring when as a musician, all you want to do it pick up an instrument and start creating some music


While this is undeniably true, I'm not so sure it's a difference between Linux and other platforms: any new platform will have a learning curve. I once tried doing some simple MIDI on Windows and was quickly frustrated because everything was confusing and not working coming from a Linux background.

That said, we should make it as easy as possible for people to get started, of course.


I suspect that its easier for a linux user to defeat being dumbfounded by software lunacy,
than it is for users of more commercialized systems. We at least have a toolbox that has no
padlock, and don't face a team of security guards, when attempting major changes.

dazastah
Established Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux

Postby dazastah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:14 pm

slowpick wrote: We at least have a toolbox that has no
padlock, and don't face a team of security guards, when attempting major changes.


This is what attracted me to linux..


Return to “Linux Music News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 1 guest