LV2 abGate

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

eikakot
Established Member

LV2 abGate

Post by eikakot »

Hi,

I've tried making a LV2 Noise Gate plugin, so if anyone is interested, you can get it from here: http://hippie.lt/lv2/gate/

Peace!

Antanas
Last edited by eikakot on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autostatic
Established Member

Re: LV2 abGate

Post by autostatic »

Cool stuff! I'd like to upload it to my Ubuntu PPA but what version is it?

Best,

Jeremy
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

well let it be v1.0 :)
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Ok thanks :) Got to upload lv2-c++-tools first and then I'll upload abGate.

Best,

Jeremy
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello Antanas,

I've uploaded abGate to my PPA. It works in Ardour but because it uses gtkmm it crashes Qtractor when you close the GUI. Apparently this is a Qtractor bug. Unfortunately the GUI window tries to open within the plug-in edit window of Qtractor so I can't test or use the plug-in's GUI with Qtractor at the moment :(

Some remarks:
- Would it be possible to have the hardcoded paths to the png files depend on a prefix? I now had to create a series of patches that modify the path for the png's from /usr/local to /usr
- Would it be possible to adapt the Makefile for easier packaging? For example:

Code: Select all

--- abgate-1.0.orig/Makefile	2011-01-26 11:12:41.000000000 +0100
+++ abgate-1.0/Makefile	2011-01-26 13:37:07.000000000 +0100
@@ -1,5 +1,6 @@
+PREFIX=/usr
 BUNDLE = abGate.lv2
-INSTALL_DIR = /usr/local/lib/lv2
+INSTALL_DIR = $(DESTDIR)$(PREFIX)/lib/lv2

$(BUNDLE): manifest.ttl gate.ttl gate.so gate_gui.so bypass_on.png bypass_off.png knob.png background.png
@@ -22,4 +23,4 @@
 	cp -R $(BUNDLE) $(INSTALL_DIR)

clean:
-	rm -rf $(BUNDLE) gate.so gate.so bypass_on.png bypass_off.png gate.peg knob.png background.png
+	rm -rf $(BUNDLE) gate.so gate_gui.so
- As you can see from the example above the png files get cleaned too. Is this intentional? I had to add an overrride to my debian/rules file so those files don't get deleted otherwise the package won't build.

Best,

Jeremy

PPA: https://launchpad.net/~autostatic/+archive/ppa
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

Now that I opened it with Qtractor it shows me just the default GUI that Qtractor creates. And it is what i was expecting. I don't know how you are trying to use the plugins GUI on Qtractor. I only tested it with Ardour, so there can be some misbehavior on different hosts.
Oh yes I need to make it easier to choose the installation directory.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

eikakot wrote:Now that I opened it with Qtractor it shows me just the default GUI that Qtractor creates. And it is what i was expecting. I don't know how you are trying to use the plugins GUI on Qtractor.
I've compiled Qtractor with LV2 GTK UI support. When I click the 'Edit' button in Qtractor's default plug-in the GTK GUI pops up. This works for the Invada and the IR plug-ins for example:
IR: http://linux.autostatic.com/images/2011-01/irlv2.png
Invada: http://linux.autostatic.com/images/2011 ... lv2gtk.png

When I try this with abGate it does try to open, but it opens within the default GUI of Qtractor in the upper left corner as you can see in the attachment. But I'll communicate this with the Qtractor developer also.

Best,

Jeremy
Attachments
abgate.png
abgate.png (32.95 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

Oh I see. I don't use Qtractor that much, but GTK UI support sounds interesting. If you find that there is a bug, which causes GUI not to show up, in abGate, but not in Qtractor, please write me an email and I'll try to fix it. I hope someday it will be easy to make plugins which could work on all hosts equally. I see that you are using Qtractor a lot, so maybe you know if it supports LV2 External UI extension? I had a hard time looking for cross-compatibility solutions, but none of them was good enough. One possibility is working directly with xlib, but it takes time just learning all that stuff and I think there should be a better way. I even made a plugin with Qt GUI which worked on Ardour, but that wasnt helping to make it work on both Ardour and Qtractor and still it wasn't the cleanest solution. So any help or suggestion is very welcome.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

eikakot wrote:Oh I see. I don't use Qtractor that much, but GTK UI support sounds interesting. If you find that there is a bug, which causes GUI not to show up, in abGate, but not in Qtractor, please write me an email and I'll try to fix it.
You mean "in Ardour, but not in Qtractor"?
eikakot wrote:I hope someday it will be easy to make plugins which could work on all hosts equally. I see that you are using Qtractor a lot, so maybe you know if it supports LV2 External UI extension?
Qtractor supports the LV2 External UI extension.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

auto, I'm using the qtractor-svn built with lv2 support but it crashes when I load and lv2 plugins
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello funkmuscle, no problems here with the latest release ( 0.4.8 ). Only IR crashes Qtractor when I close its GUI and abGate's GTK UI doesn't show. But I can live with that and I'm sure it will get sorted out in the near future. LV2 really is in a momentum, hope it stays there for a while :)
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello Antanas, did you already announce your plug-in elsewhere? Like on the Linux Audio Announce list?
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

Some people had problems with lv2-c++-tools, so now I'm rewriting my plugin to use lv2.h directly and do not depend on lv2-c++-tools. So I'll announce my plugin elsewhere later when I rewrite it :)
Last edited by eikakot on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

AutoStatic wrote:Hello funkmuscle, no problems here with the latest release ( 0.4.8 ). Only IR crashes Qtractor when I close its GUI and abGate's GTK UI doesn't show. But I can live with that and I'm sure it will get sorted out in the near future. LV2 really is in a momentum, hope it stays there for a while :)
Hey Auto, you're right, just updated qtractor-svn and only IR crashes it.
now to try abgate. :D
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

fwiw, lv2 gtk ui support has seen another kick on qtractor's svn trunk today (cf. qtractor 0.4.8.6+)

meaning that some plugin guis which were systematically crashing it before do not so anymore, at least not so fast :) however, others which were nice before, may now behave otherwise--it's the ever lurking short-blanket syndrome :S

anyway, as i try to rant, always re. this lv2 gtk lock-in disease is a nightmare and it is my strongest recommendation for developers adopt the out-of-process and external ui approach and let their guis go safe and host toolkit agnostic--when will they learn that ardour is not the only kid in town? ;)

cheers