OpenOctaveMidi2

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, khz, MattKingUSA

ccherrett
Established Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:34 am
Contact:

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby ccherrett » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:35 am

I was talking with Alex about it and for now we are recommending lv2rack to cooporate with oomidi.

At some point we will dig into the plugins. We just have several very exciting new surprises to code in first :)

So if lv2rack will work for now please use it and stay tuned :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Alex informs me the calf lv2 plugins also have their own host. So you are not without options.
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

alex stone
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby alex stone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 am

Just to clarify, LV2 is on a long list of features that may or may not make it into a release at some stage. We have still much to do, and LV2 will mature in that time to a far more stable state.

I've tested LV2rack with non calf LV2 plugins, Calf's own host works fine here as well. Given the extensive porting options in OOM2, we already have the means to use these plugins.

To clarify another point, DSSI-VST was in the base code from which we started. As enthusiastic linux supporters, and that includes our sponsor, this feature may disappear in the future to be replaced with something else, that is native linux, and that may well be LV2.

That's quite a way down the road, as we are currently working on some nice surprises as features for our users.


Onwards and Upwards,

Alex.

p.s. We've already had some interest in people joining our team, as they seem to like the direction we are taking. As OpenOctaveProject actually uses very few plugins as part of the workflow, if interested parties would like to strengthen and further develop the internal plugins in OOM2, or implement LV2 in OOM2 for users who do use a more extensive range of plugins, then contact us at the mailing address, or on irc #openoctave. We can at least have an initial discussion.

zettberlin
Established Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: Celle
Contact:

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby zettberlin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am

ccherrett wrote:Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)


Last line translates segfault -- what can I do?


Plugins are far down on the list of todos.

[/quote]

Any plugins are not the issue -- I would be fine, if DSSI worked OK at this point. And if there where a switch like -s for "no VST" I would use it by default for I do not have VST-plugins installed.

The issue is, that it segfaults. I tried with -I and -D and even -d also -- to no avail, it still crashes at startup.
nostrum fungitur

alex stone
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby alex stone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:41 am

zettberlin wrote:
ccherrett wrote:Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)


Last line translates segfault -- what can I do?


Plugins are far down on the list of todos.



Any plugins are not the issue -- I would be fine, if DSSI worked OK at this point. And if there where a switch like -s for "no VST" I would use it by default for I do not have VST-plugins installed.

The issue is, that it segfaults. I tried with -I and -D and even -d also -- to no avail, it still crashes at startup.[/quote]

Zettberlin,

We've done quite few commits in the last couple of days, and the pace isn't slowing. This is a Beta release after all. If you can do a make clean, get the latest git pull, and build, then let us know what happens.

If you've compiled OOM2 without VST, then this might be a mischievous plugin not working properly. We've had some issues with a couple of DSSI plugins, and an internal plugin which we removed.

Can i ask that you ensure your DSSI plugins are late versions where possible.

Can you remove OOMidi.cfg from ~/.config/OOMidi if you're still getting segfaults, and restart.

Are there any obvious error messages in the terminal that appear when it crashes?

Please list your distro, whether you use 32 or 64bit, GCC version, and QT version. That will help us too.

Here at the OpenOctaveProject we're testing with, and using Gentoo 2.6.33-RT, Fluxbox, GCC-4.4.4, and QT-4.6.3, if that helps you in any way.

The more information the better. If it's extensive, please use a pastebin file, and post it here, or better, post all the information to: development@openoctave.org.

Your input is appreciated,

Alex.

zettberlin
Established Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: Celle
Contact:

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby zettberlin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:42 pm

alex stone wrote:Zettberlin,

We've done quite few commits in the last couple of days, and the pace isn't slowing. This is a Beta release after all. If you can do a make clean, get the latest git pull, and build, then let us know what happens.


Did so 10 min ago. But still:

$ /usr/local/bin/oomidi
Denormal protection enabled.
VST_PATH not set, defaulting to /home/zettberlin/vst:/usr/local/lib/vst:/usr/lib/vst
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

BUT there is some Progress:

/usr/local/bin/oomidi -I -p


starts the program and it runs OK so far.

The first look is quite promising ;-)

I will test oom and report.

alex stone wrote:If you've compiled OOM2 without VST, then this might be a mischievous plugin not working properly. We've had some issues with a couple of DSSI plugins, and an internal plugin which we removed.

Can i ask that you ensure your DSSI plugins are late versions where possible.


I got CALF SVN 2 weeks "old" and the recent versions of simplesynth, simplesampler and whysynth.

alex stone wrote:Can you remove OOMidi.cfg from ~/.config/OOMidi if you're still getting segfaults, and restart.

Are there any obvious error messages in the terminal that appear when it crashes?


No, not more than what I have posted here...

alex stone wrote:Please list your distro, whether you use 32 or 64bit, GCC version, and QT version. That will help us too.


Fedora14 with CCRMA RT-kernel and configuration. 32bit Intel,

GCC 4.5.1 20100924 (Red Hat 4.5.1-4)

QT 4.7.1




alex stone wrote:
Your input is appreciated,.


I feel honored to have a opportunity to help a little :-)

Thanks a lot for your work.
nostrum fungitur

zettberlin
Established Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: Celle
Contact:

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby zettberlin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Now, that I have the app up and running for some houres I see, that it is a fork of Muse is it not?

Finally someone has taken the effort to port that great app to QT4.

But I do not see you mentioning Muse anywhere on your Website or here -- just forgot that?

EDIT: Now I found it on your site. But it is a bit hidden, I really think, misunderstandings like those that lead to the ugly discussion on LAU could be avoided, if you would place the attribution more into plain sight.
nostrum fungitur

alex stone
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby alex stone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:15 pm

zettberlin wrote:Now, that I have the app up and running for some houres I see, that it is a fork of Muse is it not?

Finally someone has taken the effort to port that great app to QT4.

But I do not see you mentioning Muse anywhere on your Website or here -- just forgot that?

EDIT: Now I found it on your site. But it is a bit hidden, I really think, misunderstandings like those that lead to the ugly discussion on LAU could be avoided, if you would place the attribution more into plain sight.



All is done, attributions are made, and it seems time to move on.

OOM2 is derived from the Muse base code, yes. We've added new features and are squashing bugs as fast as find them.

Alex.

User avatar
GMaq
Established Member
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby GMaq » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi Alex (and other developers)

Congrats on an impressive and much needed application. I am attempting some builds for AV Linux and everything is working well except that the install does not seem to be obeying my PREFIX= variable and even though I have supplied the /usr variable it still installs to /usr/local

This is what I am configuring with:

Code: Select all

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=linux-i686 [-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr] ../


Do I need to remove the parentheses from the 'DCMAKE' prefix line? If so you might want to mention that in future README notes.

You help and time are appreciated.

**EDIT**

Yes it was the parentheses, removing them did the trick...I don't use cmake enough I guess. OOM looks great, now to test!

alex stone
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby alex stone » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Gmaq, great to see you adding this to AVlinux.

We're still going at some rate here, so it's important to pull regularly. as recently as ten minutes ago we've added a track heights feature, which is terrific to use.
Given the pace, i offer the following to your users, to help with using our beta release:

We're checking the parentheses issue. Using them in place is normal. (and thanks very much for the bug report. :) )

We're also changing and upgrading the config structure, so if users have test projects (we are beta) in one session, git pull, the project doesn't open, or segfaults, then remove the ~/.config/OOMidi/OOMidi.cfg file, and try again.

We're determined to get OOM2 as stable as possible, as quick as possible, to generate a stable release, and we still have some features to add.

I'm a Gentoo user with a minimal WM, etc, to use as much resource for the music, but you have my respect and continued admiration for building the AVlinux project, and as we both know, maintaining it daily. :)

I'm putting together at least some sort of quick start manual for users at the moment, which grows daily, and is a work in progress...... Users may find some useful information here https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki

Onwards and Upwards, and we wish you every success now and in the future.

Regards,

Alex.

User avatar
GMaq
Established Member
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby GMaq » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Alex,

Thanks for your encouraging words, the feeling is mutual. It is really nice to see the collaboration between OOMidi and Muse, obviously both parties will benefit, and end-users will benefit most of all!

I will make it clear at the AV Linux forum that you are in Beta and will continue to provide updated builds. I will package for AV Linux it until Debian gets on board and let the Debian pkg-multimedia team take it from there. I don't like to duplicate Debian's packaging, it usually causes issues down the line.

I will encourage AV Linux users to report bugs (not opinions) directly to openoctave.org you as they find them. Thanks again for all your efforts!

alex stone
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby alex stone » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:09 pm

GMaq wrote:Alex,

Thanks for your encouraging words, the feeling is mutual. It is really nice to see the collaboration between OOMidi and Muse, obviously both parties will benefit, and end-users will benefit most of all!

I will make it clear at the AV Linux forum that you are in Beta and will continue to provide updated builds. I will package for AV Linux it until Debian gets on board and let the Debian pkg-multimedia team take it from there. I don't like to duplicate Debian's packaging, it usually causes issues down the line.

I will encourage AV Linux users to report bugs (not opinions) directly to openoctave.org you as they find them. Thanks again for all your efforts!



Thanks for the kind words.

Just so we're all clear, OOM2 base code is forked from the Muse base. We wish the Muse developers the best of success now and in the future, for the important user base they are serving. We think users of both applications, OOM2 and MusE, will benefit from the alternatives available to them, with the common base and diverse options.

As i mentioned we have quite a bit more to polish, fix and add in the next week or two, so it's going to be quite fluid until then.

Bug reports are most welcome, and users can, if they wish, subscribe to our ML with:

development-subscribe@openoctave.org

and once subscribed, post any reports to:

development@openoctave.org

Regards,

Alex.

www.openoctave.org

zettberlin
Established Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: Celle
Contact:

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Postby zettberlin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 am

alex stone wrote:
Just so we're all clear, OOM2 base code is forked from the Muse base. We wish the Muse developers the best of success now and in the future, for the important user base they are serving. We think users of both applications, OOM2 and MusE, will benefit from the alternatives available to them, with the common base and diverse options.



101% + :-)

Your efforts are most welcome. OOMidi looks very very promising. I will pull the code weekly, test and report.

best of luck and thank you.

HZN/Berlin
nostrum fungitur


Return to “Linux Music News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests