OpenOctaveMidi2

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

alex stone
Established Member

OpenOctaveMidi2

Post by alex stone »

OOM2 linear Midi and Audio sequencer.

We announce the release of the 2nd version of the OpenOctaveMidi sequencer, known as OOM2.
After a change of codebase, a complete rebuild of the user interface, and the addition of new
features and functions, we're proud to present this version as our initial beta release.

Deep in the basement of OpenOctaveProject, the team have been working hard, to bring OpenOctaveMidi into the modern age. From the new interface, to the workflow features, OOM2 is the result of a great deal of hard work, and thought. In our Project journey towards a professional Linux Audio pipeline, OOM2 represents the next important step.

With the help of our platinum sponsor TSI, we were afforded two full time developers to help with the task of getting to were we are today. We would like to aknowledge TSI.

OOM2 is a linear Midi and Audio sequencer for the Linux operating system in both 32 and 64bit.

It's finally here!

The OOM2 Mixer.

The Arranger window.

Features include:

MIDI

Our inhouse designed and built, user defined, automated Patch Sequencer, for fast input of bank and program changes. This exciting and powerful feature will take much of the data processing work out of working in large projects. Users can change sequenced patch sets quickly, and add single patches without changing any previously set automated patch sets. User who add extensive bank and patch changes to their project on a regular basis will enjoy the power of the Patch sequencer.

Our new OOM2 team designed and built TrackView Manager, in which trackviews can be defined by the user in any track type combination,
including a working view function enabling the user to view only the tracks and parts he or she is currently working on.
The Trackview Manager takes the hard work out of using, and writing to, a lot of tracks, giving the user the power and flexibility to customize their project as they want.

The Pianoroll Editor, the heart of midi editing in OOM2

Midi sequencing in a traditional timeline format, with full jack transport sync and MTC and MMC sync options, making it easy for users of other sequencers to migrate to OOM2.

Realtime record/playback for midi and audio.
Midi part import/export, as used in the arranger window, enabling the user to swap parts between projects, invaluable for when version of the same project are being used, or a section written in one project fits better in another.
Midi Input filters, including a dedicated transform editor, giving users the power of selective midi input from a device.
Midi editing with Piano roll, Drum editor or List view editors, with an extensive set of tools to speed up workflow, and do as much as possible as you work, in a single edit pass.
Internal synth plugins including Soundfont (sf2) capable softsynth (please note this is still in progress)
Standardized synth plugin formats: DSSI, VST
External synth support both hardware and software
The stability and sample accurate timing of Jackmidi.
Instrument Set file format with a complete user defined set of midi tools, including bank,
patch, sysex and controller designation
RTC, MIDI, and GUI adjustable resolution rate.

AUDIO

Audio recording and playback with full jackserver sync capability, enabling accurate timing with other jack capable applications.
A full selection of Audio Wave, Input, Output, Aux, Group and Synth track and buss options, giving the user
a potentially unlimited range of project design options to choose from and build.
Standard Ladspa and DSSI plugin options.
External synth hardware and software support. OOM2 already contains an extensive list of patch sets for many popular external devices.
2 mixers, which can be individually set with user defined views for track type. Here at OOM2 HQ we use 2 at once, in different desktops, displaying different tracks, and it makes simple work of monitoring all input and output of any project, as well as monitoring Audio and Midi tracks.
Audio automation. Audio automation can be displayed on the track itself, and users can decide which automation they want to see at any time. Automation can be recorded with the mousewheel, ensuring a smooth transition between changing values as written, or touched. You can also add automation to mixer strips, and display the output by adding the strip to a view in your arranger. The strip will display as a track, and you can record and edit the automation from there, giving you full control.
Drag and drop plugin copying. The user can open a plugin in one mixer strip, and simply copy/drag it to others, quickly creating plugin sets for multiple tracks. This feature is particularly useful for those who prefer to add EQ to each instrument, or instrument section, and enables building a big template in less time.
A detailed Audio Bounce function to track, or external file. OOM2 Audio can be jack freewheeling mode enabled (if available in your version of jack) with a simply checkbox tick, speeding up bounce actions considerably.
A much improved and enhanced shortcut set, which is user configurable, for users who prefer using the qwerty keyboard for workflow. Experienced and professional users can add their own shortcut maps quickly and easily, in organised sections for easy management. We're passionate about this, and will continue to refine and further develop qwerty mapping, and the process of performing a series of actions as efficiently as possible.

And many more...... !

OOM2 is currently available in English language.

Please Note: Users who have enjoyed using our original OpenOctaveMidi(OOM1) will not be able to transfer their projects directly. We recommend you save your current projects as midi files, and import them into OOM2. We are experimenting with a script that will do this automatically for you, but it won't be available for this release of OOM2.

You can download OOM2 from our github repository at:

git://github.com/ccherrett/oom.git

Use the command:

git clone git://github.com/ccherrett/oom.git

to install the source in an empty directory of your choosing, and follow the build instructions in the Readme file.

We hope you enjoy using OOM2, and should you have anything you'd like to report, please send an email to:

development@openoctave.org

We can also be found on irc at #openoctave (freenode)

OOM2 uses the following:

* JACK-audio - http://jackaudio.org
* JACK-midi - for midi support
* DSSI - synth plugins
* VST(i) - synth plugins (through DSSI)
* ALSA-midi - for midi support

OOM2 uses QT, and requires QT4.4.x or later. (Your mileage may vary with earlier versions. Here at the OpenOctaveProject, we're building and testing with QT4.6.x)

Please note: We are source based and have no direct affiliation with any linux distro, although we use Gentoo by preference.

Direct any enquiries directly related to specific distro packaged versions of OOM2 to your distro packager.

Gentoo ebuild users should keep an eye on the pro-audio overlay, as we intend to submit OOM2 for inclusion.

Please be aware we're working on squashing a few remaining bugs, planning new features, and upgrading the codebase.

Any bugs we're good with, but design opinions, complaints about colour, layout, etc.., well, you've got your view, and we've got ours. OOM2 is a working program intended for large scale music creation, and as such we've put our efforts into making sure the tools work, and they contribute to a professional workflow, not dressing it up as a desktop program, or a Nasa computer centre. Should you desire a more graphically......obvious application with a gazillion icons, or an army of menus and options, then there are some fine examples in the linux audio community you may find more to your taste.

Outstanding issues:
The Solo and Mute structure in the application buss tracks. We've sorted out the important ones, the midi and audio tracks, so you can keep working, so just the busses to go.
The occasional segfault when swapping between projects. Take the common sense route here for the time being, and save and close the project and OOM2, then open OOM2 with your next masterpiece.
Some of the notes in the PR are occasionally missing the end borders. We're on it.

And some tweaks......

We hope you enjoy OOM2, the Linux Audio Midi and Audio sequencer!

From the OpenOctaveProject team, dedicated to professional workflow pipeline development in Linux Audio.
Last edited by alex stone on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brummer

Re: OpenOctaveMidi2

Post by brummer »

Hi

Look great, sounds good, there is only one point I wont to know before I start to download it.
I have search your projct pages but didn't found any Information about the dependency’s from KDE ?
Do you still need KDE lib's to build/run OpenOctaveMidi2 ? And if so, witch ones are needed ?

regards hermann
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Hermann, no, you don't need KDE anymore. OOM2 is pure QT4. (As much as QT can be pure)

If you're one those fortunate users who enjoyed OpenOctave the first version, it would be worth your while to export any existing .RG projects as midi files (Which makes sense as a project management habit anyway). The format in OOM2 is .oom, but the app does a nice job of importing MIDI files, so you won't lose your masterpieces.

Regards,

Alex.
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hey Alex, that's great news, :D ,
no I haven't use OOM before, I have downloaded it, but wasn't able to build it, because of the KDE stuff,
but now, great, I will check it out again.

many thanks for your work
hermann
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I'm having issues download since yesterday:

$ git clone http@github.com:ccherrett/oom.git
Cloning into oom...
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly.

Been trying all day yesterday..... :?
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

funkmuscle wrote:I'm having issues download since yesterday:

$ git clone http@github.com:ccherrett/oom.git
Cloning into oom...
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly.

Been trying all day yesterday..... :?

Hmm, might be you. :) (No, I don't work for MS).

We were committing solidly, yesterday and the day before, and apart from a 15 minute server maintenance (maybe you coincided) downtime period, all was good.

I've just done a commit and pull, and all is fine.

Try this:

Alex.

p.s. Just had a check, and we'll change the docs to the git version pull. Seems the http is trying to access read/write.

Sorry about that.
Last edited by alex stone on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

will do guys... thanx.. the PKGBUILD in Archlinux AUR needs to be fixed then...
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

funkmuscle wrote:will do guys... thanx.. the PKGBUILD in Archlinux AUR needs to be fixed then...

Woosh, that was quick. I did think we'd get a couple of days before OOM2 got packaged. :)

Sorry for the mixup.

Alex.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

ArchLinux had the PGKBUILD script going a long time but as brummer asked, the kdelibs3 was keeping me from using it but now that it's qt4, I'm ready.

You guys use Gentoo and Archlinux is like the binary version of Gentoo. So in the AUR repo, the package is not there, just a PKGBUILD script for building a custom fit for Archlinux...
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

funkmuscle wrote:ArchLinux had the PGKBUILD script going a long time but as brummer asked, the kdelibs3 was keeping me from using it but now that it's qt4, I'm ready.

You guys use Gentoo and Archlinux is like the binary version of Gentoo. So in the AUR repo, the package is not there, just a PKGBUILD script for building a custom fit for Archlinux...

Ok, i just learned something.

Thanks.

Alex.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

no probs.. :D
ccherrett
Established Member

Post by ccherrett »

git clone http@github.com:ccherrett/oom.git

is the developers url for pushing code

is the read only url for everyday pulling.

Thanks!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yep.. thanx... got it up and running.. awesome app
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

I cannot wait to test this all-new gem. It builds OK on my Fedora14 but alas:

loadPluginLib: adding dssi effect plugin:/usr/local/lib/dssi/calf.so name:Calf Bass Enhancer DSSI label:BassEnhancer
scan ladspa plugin dir </usr/lib/dssi>
VST_PATH not set, defaulting to /home/zettberlin/vst:/usr/local/lib/vst:/usr/lib/vst
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Last line translates segfault -- what can I do?
nostrum fungitur
ccherrett
Established Member

Post by ccherrett »

zettberlin wrote:I cannot wait to test this all-new gem. It builds OK on my Fedora14 but alas:

loadPluginLib: adding dssi effect plugin:/usr/local/lib/dssi/calf.so name:Calf Bass Enhancer DSSI label:BassEnhancer
scan ladspa plugin dir </usr/lib/dssi>
VST_PATH not set, defaulting to /home/zettberlin/vst:/usr/local/lib/vst:/usr/lib/vst
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Last line translates segfault -- what can I do?
Plugins are far down on the list of todos.

The Open Octave Project Pipeline does not require any plugins to opperate.

That said I will check it out at some point when I have time.

Thanks!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org