KXStudio 10.04.2 is out!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

autostatic
Established Member

Re: KXStudio 10.04.1 is out!

Post by autostatic »

angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

Hi falkTX!

Saw your commentaries on the AV Linux 4's thread, and decided to drop by...

I've been playing around with KXStudio too, and is really amazing. Running jackd at startup as the system's main sound engine seems like a great idea. I always had some trouble with Ubuntu Studio's latency (a lot of xruns) on my main audio workstation, but KXStudio is running great here. And the package selection is awesome.

Keep up the great work! :D
Ángel A. Candelaria Colón
Guitar Professor
https://angelsguitar.com
angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

Hi again.

I'm noticing that, after running an apt-get dist-upgrade, backfire-dkms gives an error. Apparently, the module won't install on the new RT kernel 2.6.33.

Doesn't seem t affect performance in anyway (backfire has something to do with benchmarking, no?) but the error just pops up every time you update or install something, as the system keeps trying to build and install the module without success.
Ángel A. Candelaria Colón
Guitar Professor
https://angelsguitar.com
alexoest
Established Member

Re: KXStudio 10.04.1 is out! - Jack won't start - SOLVED

Post by alexoest »

Hi again

Apparently, I've solved the problem: I went into setup on Jack Audio Connection Kit and changed the periods/buffer parameter from 3 to 2. That seems to do the trick.

/Alex

Hi people

I just installed KXStudio and it looks good. There's one problem, however. On startup I get a notification saying that "the audio playback device Jack Audio Connection Kit does not work. Falling back to SB Audigy 1 [SB0092]

When I try to start Rackarrack, I get an error message suggesting that Jack isn't running.

When I try to start Jack in the Jack Audio Connection Kit, it fails, giving me the message pasted in below.

I do have sound, so at least in some (perhaps all) respects, the sound card works.

I've tried the suggestions earlier in this thread without success. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem are welcome.

/Alex

Error message mentioned earlier:
10:17:40.010 Startup script...
10:17:40.010 artsshell -q terminate
Cannot connect to server socket err = Connection refused
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
sh: artsshell: not found
10:17:40.413 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.
10:17:40.414 JACK is starting...
10:17:40.415 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n3
10:17:40.429 JACK was started with PID=1982.
could not open driver .so '/usr/lib/jack/jack_freebob.so': libfreebob.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
no message buffer overruns
could not open component .so '/usr/lib/jack/jack_freebob.so': libfreebob.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
no message buffer overruns
jackdmp 1.9.5
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2009 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
audio_reservation_init
Failed to acquire device name : Audio0 error : Device or resource busy
Audio device hw:0 cannot be acquired, trying to open it anyway...
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|3|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Using ALSA driver Audigy running on card 0 - SB Audigy 1 [SB0092] (rev.3, serial:0x531102) at 0xb400, irq 17
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: got smaller periods 2 than 3 for capture
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
Failed to start server
10:17:40.810 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
10:17:40.811 Post-shutdown script...
10:17:40.812 killall jackd lashd ladishd
jackd: no process found
lashd: no process found
ladishd: no process found
10:17:41.227 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
10:17:42.570 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using an internal SB Audigy card, so I don't know if firewire has anything to do with it.

BTW, after changing the buffer parameter I can start Jack, but I've got several xruns per second, so I might have solved one problem but created another.

Alex
falkTX wrote:@alexoest:
it seems that the firewire jackd driver is missing...
weird...

i'll look into this
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

falkTX wrote:
alexoest wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using an internal SB Audigy card, so I don't know if firewire has anything to do with it.

BTW, after changing the buffer parameter I can start Jack, but I've got several xruns per second, so I might have solved one problem but created another.

Alex
falkTX wrote:@alexoest:
it seems that the firewire jackd driver is missing...
weird...

i'll look into this
Were you able to use Jack in Ubuntu/UbuntuStudio?
How did it worked?
Yes, I've used Ubuntu Stuido (and 64 Studio) on the same computer and Jack worked fine.
Grep
Established Member

Post by Grep »

falkTX,alexoest
I also have internal soundblaster5.1 with mini rack and have encountered the same problem with jack not starting including same errors. I also suspect it might be related to jack2 since jack1 starts manually after reset
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I am not sure if this will solve the problem, but afaik, jack2 runs in asynchronous mode by default, whereas jack1 runs always in synchronous mode. Try running jack2 in synchronous mode, by writing in the server path:

/usr/bin/jackd -S

Cheers! Pablo
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

Pablo,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it makes no difference. The issues persist.

FalkTX, Grep
I read the release notes and tried to follow them in their description of how to start Jack1. I could start Jack1 from the terminal, but I don't know what the piece "set the jackd binary to "/opt/jack1/bin/jackd"" implies. Where and how do you set that? Is it the text that should be in the server path field?

I've been trying some different settings, an the issues at present are:

Actually, the xruns depend on what input settings in QJackCTL, I choose: Inputs hw:0, hw:0,0 and hw:0,2 give no xruns. But hw:0,1 does. It is described as "mic in" in QJackCTL. The others (0, 0.0 and 0.2) are: "SB Audigy 1 [SB0092]", "ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback" and "Multichannel Capture/ PT Playback", in case that has any importance.

Strange thing is, I have sound from the microphone input in the speakers in all circumstances, even without Jack started. But no matter whether I choose hw:0, 0.0, 0.1 or 0.2, I can't hear my line in. I'd like to be able to: 1: Only hear my mic in when I select it, and 2: Hear my line-in.

Grep, does that match the issues that you have?
Everyone, I'm quite new at this, so I might have overlooked something trivial. Any suggestions?

/Alex
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

@alexoest: Are you sure you have the mic input set as the capture source (and enabled) - perhaps check using alsamixer? I had some very similar issues (with jack1) where I would get xruns (I could get rid of them by running jack in playback only, which was fine for my needs) - but the problem actually turned out to be that I had the mic input disabled in alsa mixer. This may or may not be related to the problems you are experiencing, but it sounds similar, especially given that you have no sound from the mic input. Just a suggestion.
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

linuxdsp wrote:@alexoest: Are you sure you have the mic input set as the capture source (and enabled) - perhaps check using alsamixer? I had some very similar issues (with jack1) where I would get xruns (I could get rid of them by running jack in playback only, which was fine for my needs) - but the problem actually turned out to be that I had the mic input disabled in alsa mixer. This may or may not be related to the problems you are experiencing, but it sounds similar, especially given that you have no sound from the mic input. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked in alsamixer but I couldn't see an option to set the capture source. Are you sure that can be done in alsamixer? All I had was the option to adjust volume and mute various channels.

AFAIK I haven't actively chosen any capture source, so it could well be that you are right. Any suggestions on how to do it are welcome!

/Alex
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

falkTX wrote:
You can set the jackd binary in QJackCtl settings, at the top, the "Server Path" option.
Set it to "/opt/jack1/bin/jackd" (only works with "jack1 qjackctl").
Then all the other apps must be started using "jack1 <app>" as well.

That way you get Jack1 in KXStudio.
how do you deal with runtime library dependencies ?

what happens if you type in a terminal

Code: Select all

ldd /opt/jack1/bin/jackd
do you get jack library paths like /usr/lib/libjack* etc ?

if you have jack2 installed /usr/bin and jack1 in /opt/jack1/bin, this won't work at all. the jack1 "jackd" binary must know the path to its own jack1 libraries, probably installed in /opt/jack1/lib

Either jack1 must be linked with the ld option "rpath", or you must PRELOAD the jack1 library path when launching jackd.

Just a guess from what you wrote, you may have thought about all this.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

OK, good to know it was taken care of :)

as a side note, it looks like more and more distros are hiding original binaries behind scripts with same or similar names . It is OK but can sometimes confuse old timers (like me ... yeah, I'm getting old ... :lol: )
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked in alsamixer but I couldn't see an option to set the capture source. Are you sure that can be done in alsamixer? All I had was the option to adjust volume and mute various channels.
Have you pressed the TAB key so you can access the capture levels?
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

In the particualr case I was refering to where I had jack(1) causing xruns which would go away if I started it in playback only, it turned out that the xruns were being caused because the mic input to the (onboard (intel) audio) was muted in alsa mixer. At the time I hadn't realised that for some chipsets and their corresponding ALSA drivers, muting the input (IIRC this can be toggled in alsamixer with the <space bar>) appears to cause this behaviour in jack (I had assumed the mute function just caused the input data from the muted channel to be disregarded, but it seems to go a little deeper than that since it appears it can stop jack functioning correctly for some chipsets) .