Announcing the Unofficial Pro-Audio Arch Package Repository (Beta Phase)

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Where?

https://arch.osamc.de/

What?

An actively maintained binary package repo for Arch Linux of free and open source pro-audio software.

The repository only provides packages that are not already in the official Arch Linux repository.

The repository is maintained and tested for both x86_64 and aarch64 (Arch Linux ARM) architectures.

Why?

1. We are convinced that Arch Linux is currently the best free platform for audio production and we want to help improving it further.
2. Having more up-to-date and easy to install packages of useful audio production software is always a good thing.
3. The pro-audio packages in the extra and community package repositories are currently maintained by only one person. We want to distribute the workload and spread the packing expertise between more people and decrease the "bus-factor".
4. We want to create packages, which can eventually be migrated to the official repositories with no or minimal changes. We do not intend to duplicate the
packaging efforts from the official repos.

How?

See the web site for instructions on how to add the repository to your Arch System (or derivatives). The repository is also listed on the Unofficial user repositories page on the Arch Wiki.

We are still stabilizing the build process and packaging conventions. While this is going on, we consider the repository to be in a Beta quality stage. We currently have around two dozen projects packaged and ready to install and plan to add many more over time.

We try to announce important changes on IRC (#archlinux-proaudio on irc.libera.chat) and always keep the information on the Arch Wiki page up to
date.

Note: *Our build process is currently not based on the official Arch Linux devtools, but we adhere strictly to the Arch Packaging guidelines and test all package builds via our CI. With the Arch Packaging infrastructure expected to evolve significantly in the near future, we plan to adapt our tooling to whatever the outcome of that will be.

Contributing

Contributions are welcome! To suggest software for inclusion in the repo open a GitHub issue.

PKGBUILD and CI Code Repository and Issue Tracker

https://github.com/osam-cologne/archlinux-proaudio

Team-Chat

Discussion and coordination of the project happens on the Sonoj Rocket Chat instance. If you are interested in helping out or have questions or suggestions, join the general chat room (no registration required, English):

https://chat.sonoj.org/channel/english
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Announcing the Unofficial Pro-Audio Arch Package Repository (Beta Phase)

Post by funkmuscle »

Arch needed this a long time ago.. Yes the best platform for audio..

thanks man!!
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

This is great and all, and I congratulate you on your efforts (and agree that the Arch family of distros is probably the best of the distro choices), but I’m curious.... the AUR is the ideal repository for this—if for no other reason that it is a better trusted source of packages than a new and obscure repo. What were the deciding factors that made you choose going solo over using the AUR?

Either way, I wish you and your team the best of luck!! :)
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Audiojunkie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:59 am What were the deciding factors that made you choose going solo over using the AUR?
"An actively maintained binary package repo [...]"

(note the word in bold ;) )

Packages are signed and all builds are fully reproducible and you can view the full CI build logs if you want to, so in some ways this is more trustworthy than the AUR.

Besides, most packages so far, actually were done by the same packagers as in the AUR ;).
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Makes sense that you prefer binaries 🙂👍🏼

However, and maybe I’m mistaken, but it seems that binaries are allowed in the AUR too:

For example:

What's the difference between pkg, pkg-bin and pkg-git on the AUR?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... on-the-aur

“Packages with -bin suffix are already built by upstream maintainer and is available somewhere. So, users do not have to compile the package in their machine. The PKGBUILD script downloads, extracts and install the files. Some proprietary software are released in this format where source code is not available.”

Wouldn’t it be better to make your binaries available through the AUR?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I've tried a few arch setups over the years, the audio part was easy enough, but I'm used to the seemless package management
provided by synaptic, to take care of the whole system. None of the gui managers I found in arch could offer that.
All were missing one or more capabilities I rely on. The three distros I use for music all have Synaptic, and I'll make an arch setup
as soon as a full version of Synaptic is available in working order.

I'd also suggest to the arch 'community', that 5 well manned spinoffs meeting a variety of use cases, would be better
than 20 small teams or lone-wolf efforts that eventually turn into dumpster fires when burnout sets in, which never helps
convince the assimilated peoples to try a linux system.
I do hope any new audio distro is a great success!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Audiojunkie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:19 pm Makes sense that you prefer binaries 🙂👍🏼

However, and maybe I’m mistaken, but it seems that binaries are allowed in the AUR too:

For example:

“Packages with -bin suffix are already built by upstream maintainer and is available somewhere. So, users do not have to compile the package in their machine. The PKGBUILD script downloads, extracts and install the files. Some proprietary software are released in this format where source code is not available.”

Quite off-topic, as your efforts have been excellent in promoting linux, but how many windows users who read your above reply, would say,
'Hey, I think I'll install linux, it must be super super easy!"

This small discussion displays the systemic level of linux problems, deeply embedded, with the flaws treasured and guarded like the queen's jewel vault, rather than being eradicated by dedicated rescue squadrons. Sad that a few titanic egos guarantee linux will always be an afterthought in the computer world. And we're stuck wrestling in the aftermath, and quite lucky things work as well as they do! I'll slink back to the editing cave now...
Cheers
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:07 am
Audiojunkie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:19 pm Makes sense that you prefer binaries 🙂👍🏼

For example:

Quite off-topic, as your efforts have been excellent in promoting linux, but how many windows users who read your above reply, would say,

This small discussion displays the systemic level of linux problems, deeply embedded, with the flaws treasured and guarded like the queen's jewel vault, rather than being eradicated by dedicated rescue squadrons. Sad that a few titanic egos guarantee linux will always be an afterthought in the computer world. And we're stuck wrestling in the aftermath, and quite lucky things work as well as they do! I'll slink back to the editing cave now...
Cheers
glowrak guy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:07 am

For example:

Cheers
I don’t imagine too many ‘Windows-only’ users frequent a Linux-only forum. However, for those Windows users that are Linux-curious, I have made several Linux promotional posts (on the KVRAudio and Reaper forums) aimed at Windows users stating my opinions on the best distros. In those posts, I state that I believe the best distros for Linux pro audio are the distros that contain everything needed for a low latency configuration, along with the most possible apps. Of all of the distros out there, I have recommended different distro families fir different types of users. The appliance distro, AV Linux, is perfect for those who want to get a taste of what’s possible with no major Linux investment—its not customizable, but everything generally’just works’ with no configuration needed. For those who want stable, easy to use and maintain setups with ‘some’ customizability, Ubuntu (including Ubuntu Studio) is best. Ubuntu has the largest native binary repository and the majority of all proprietary freeware/commercial plugins and apps are compiled and tested for Ubuntu first. Because Linux Mint shares Ubuntu repos, Linux Mint is also an excellent choice. For advanced users, the Arch family of distros (including, but not limited to Arch, EndeavourOS, or Manjaro) is best—especially if the user wants the absolute newest apps, and absolute control over what goes into your customized setup. Arch distros require the most maintenance. Library backwards compatibility and the sheer number of apps available in the AUR allow for most of those proprietary plugins and apps that were compiled on Ubuntu to work in Arch distros with few problems. I don’t believe there is a perfect one size fits all Linux distro—you have to pick based on your preferences. And of course, with enough Linux knowledge, ‘any’ distro will work for a pro audio rig.

So, as I said, I don’t believe there is a single perfect distro that fits everyone. But at the same time, I do believe there is a perfect distro that fits even Windows users who are new to Linux.

But I digress. The topic of this thread that I’m shamefully derailing was about repositories, not distributions. The point in this thread that I wanted to make is that The AUR, as far as I understand it allows for binaries. My only suggestion was that maybe people would be more comfortable using the AUR, rather than a separate repo.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Audiojunkie wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:54 am The appliance distro, AV Linux, is perfect for those who want to get a taste of what’s possible with no major Linux investment—its not customizable,
I was able to change login manager, desktop gui, gtk theme, wallpaper, and default apps.
(there was a snickering in the force :wink: ) Not sure how any debian system would not be customizable?
I would consider it powerful, immediately usable, and flexible, rather than a taste of what's possible.

These days, there are few limits to audio capability. Video production and editing might be another matter,
I've not yet attempted more than a simple cut or format conversion.
Cheers
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Maybe a better way for me to say it would be that it is meant to be treated as an appliance, where no configuration or customization is necessary. :)
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

There is more sense in having a user repository with binary packages than creating -bin entries in the AUR. This is the way it has been done for probably more than a decade. It's just like adding a PPA on .deb systems. Here is the wiki page about it https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/unoffi ... positories

(Some points that are different from each other but ultimately overlap (and I probably should have copy-edited the order of better);) I guess it's plain easier to manage it this way for folk wanting to create a set of binary packages. AUR entries are not packages, they are hosted PKGBUILD files which the user downloads then runs to create a package. The whole -bin AUR entry is predicated on the existance of binary files already existing somewhere, e.g. provided by the creator of the software. User repos with created binary packages are notion that is slightly different. It also removes the power and time element that it would take a user to create the package. A more minor rational would be that some AUR -bin entries might already be taken (not that the AUR and a user repo with binary packages is the same anyway).

Arch requires one to do the research. Thankfully the information about Arch is probably the best presented of all distros, e.g. the wiki. A good practice is that if you're an Arch user and wanting to end up with a binary package of some project that takes hours to build, checking the user repo page to see if there is one hosting a set of binary packages.

IMHO, Arch is not a distro for beginners to Linux unless they actually want to put the effort in to really learn Linux. It does however do a lot less stupid things by default that other distros do in an attempt to make things easier for the user, so you're generally not blindsided by some distro-specific behaviour that differs from how upstream describes the softwares setup.
Last edited by milkii on Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

digitsun
Established Member

Post by digitsun »

I look this new with enthusiasm. In OpenSUSE there is GeekoDAW and it supports Tumbleweed, so why not? Arch is a distro for advance users, that's true, but is a real possibility for pro audio work. It's necessary to told that AUR packages are not binaries, AUR package is info for to compile a package. With this repo you make more easily the transition to Arch, and contribute to migrate the repo packages to the official repositories.

I have two questions. Are packages from this repo free software? Or Do you think include all kind of software (with free or proprietary license)?

I like the idea, congratulations for the effort.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

digitsun wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:48 pm I have two questions. Are packages from this repo free software? Or Do you think include all kind of software (with free or proprietary license)?
"An actively maintained binary package repo for Arch Linux of free and open source pro-audio software."
digitsun
Established Member

Post by digitsun »

nils wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:03 pm
digitsun wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:48 pm I have two questions. Are packages from this repo free software? Or Do you think include all kind of software (with free or proprietary license)?
"An actively maintained binary package repo for Arch Linux of free and open source pro-audio software."
:oops: I was distracted. Well, that are good news.
Last edited by digitsun on Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

This is a great idea. Is there any possibility you could add falktx's ildaeil?