Announcing the Unofficial Pro-Audio Arch Package Repository (Beta Phase)

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

SpotlightKid
Established Member

Re: Announcing the Unofficial Pro-Audio Arch Package Repository (Beta Phase)

Post by SpotlightKid »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:17 pm This is a great idea. Is there any possibility you could add falktx's ildaeil?
Could you open a issue for that using this link?

https://github.com/osam-cologne/archlin ... %3Cname%3E
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Hello, GeekosDAW (multimedia:proaudio on openSUSE) maintainer here. First, congrats for the repo :D

Do you think we can setup a common feed for following changes on all similar projects, so that we maintainers can easily discover new releases?

I am willing to build the software for extrapolating the data from the various sources and aggregating it in a single web page.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Basslint wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:29 am Do you think we can setup a common feed for following changes on all similar projects, so that we maintainers can easily discover new releases?
Here's our current setup, which tracks releases of projects we package:

https://github.com/osam-cologne/archlin ... /README.md

We could easily add more notification options or generate a webpage which lists the latest versions of all tracked projects.

PRs welcome!:)
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Fwiw https://libreav.org aggregates releases and provides a public list/feed, with a bot in #libreav. I'm slowly adding items of software that have release feeds. Though nvchecker is specifically made for packagers and smarter.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Thanks @SpotlightKid @milkii.

What do you think about moving your nvchecker directory (at least the archlinux-proaudio.toml) to a separate project that is distro-neutral, so that we packagers we can all work on the same database?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I actually wrote a script to generate nvchecker data from GeekosDAW packages (but of course, this is generic data not specific to any distro). The script is just a...script, not a full-fledged program, so it's meant to be tweaked in order to obtain the desired results.

I attached here a version of the script tweaked for projects hosted on Github (which seem to be the majority) which use tags. The resulting TOML file needs some tweaks too...I think that when you do these one-off programs, it's better to manually tweak some lines in the final output than write more code to cover all edge-cases. Or maybe I'm just lazy! In any case, here are both the script and the (slightly tweaked) resulting TOML file, which was generated by running this command:

Code: Select all

rg 'github.com' *.spec -l | sort -u | xargs -L1 python3 spec2nvchecker.py >> out.toml
Everything released under the Unlicense.

If you are interested into making this a cross-distro project (maybe linked to LibreAV as well, @milkii), just let me know and maybe I can do more :D Speaking for myself on GeekosDAW, I actually don't care for exact package names so you can use Arch's.
Attachments
github-versioned.toml.txt
(11.57 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
spec2nvchecker.py.txt
(445 Bytes) Downloaded 78 times

tapenade
Established Member

Post by tapenade »

Yeah, this really is a good idea! Thanks. I'll be tuned in.
I'm on Manjaro, but I seem to be able to use some Arch stuff, including repos.
$ totally bogus bullsh*t > /dev/null
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tapenade wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:18 am Yeah, this really is a good idea! Thanks. I'll be tuned in.
I'm on Manjaro, but I seem to be able to use some Arch stuff, including repos.
If I'm correct call me you should be able to use Manjaro because it's basically a souped up or should I say customized version of Arch. I could be wrong but I remembered when I tried it a while ago it was using all of Arche's repo. I just thought it was a little too bloated even though I was able to just strip it right down to basically being Arch Linux so you should be fine unless stuff is changed because this is going back a while now. It was back when people were starting to jump ship on Chakra or felt like people were jumping ship.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because like I said this is been something that happened years ago
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:07 am
Audiojunkie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:19 pm Makes sense that you prefer binaries 🙂👍🏼

However, and maybe I’m mistaken, but it seems that binaries are allowed in the AUR too:

For example:

What's the difference between pkg, pkg-bin and pkg-git on the AUR?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... on-the-aur

“Packages with -bin suffix are already built by upstream maintainer and is available somewhere. So, users do not have to compile the package in their machine. The PKGBUILD script downloads, extracts and install the files. Some proprietary software are released in this format where source code is not available.”

Wouldn’t it be better to make your binaries available through the AUR?
Quite off-topic, as your efforts have been excellent in promoting linux, but how many windows users who read your above reply, would say,
'Hey, I think I'll install linux, it must be super super easy!"

This small discussion displays the systemic level of linux problems, deeply embedded, with the flaws treasured and guarded like the queen's jewel vault, rather than being eradicated by dedicated rescue squadrons. Sad that a few titanic egos guarantee linux will always be an afterthought in the computer world. And we're stuck wrestling in the aftermath, and quite lucky things work as well as they do! I'll slink back to the editing cave now...
Cheers
I do not think we should tell windows users to start with Arch.
Ubuntu and openSUSE for example, are much better for people new to Linux.
You can do about all without the cli, just like they are used to on Windows.

If you hate a bloated system though, Arch is the way to go if your wiling to read their great help pages.

I love this idea, we now have 3? distro that have a music specific version.
Arch, openSUSE, and of course AV Linux
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:57 pm
tapenade wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:18 am I'm on Manjaro, but I seem to be able to use some Arch stuff, including repos.
If I'm correct call me you should be able to use Manjaro
Yes, I use this repo under Manjaro myself.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Gps wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:25 pm I love this idea, we now have 3? distro that have a music specific version.
And KXStudio.

Also: Archlinux was already a "music specific version".
Our repository is not a "special overlay" or so. It is just a few packages more, where a greater number of pro-audio packages already existed.
In an ideal world this repository would not exist but the packages would be in the official [Community] repository.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

nils wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:15 am
Gps wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:25 pm I love this idea, we now have 3? distro that have a music specific version.
And KXStudio.

Also: Archlinux was already a "music specific version".
Our repository is not a "special overlay" or so. It is just a few packages more, where a greater number of pro-audio packages already existed.
In an ideal world this repository would not exist but the packages would be in the official [Community] repository.
I agree but I think it would go against the Arch philosophy ? KISS ?
I love my openSUSE but won't argue people who call it bloated. I have stuff installed I never use.

With the current size of hard-disk though, and the size of most Linux files, who cares about a few more libraries?
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Gps wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:59 am I agree but I think it would go against the Arch philosophy ? KISS ?
I love my openSUSE but won't argue people who call it bloated. I have stuff installed I never use.

With the current size of hard-disk though, and the size of most Linux files, who cares about a few more libraries?

This is not what I meant, and how Arch works. You don't need to install all of the pro-audio packages. You can just pick the ones you want, be it from [Community] (which is the main body of packages in Arch) or from our 3rd party [Pro-Audio] one. Still KISS.

Upload-rights to [Community] are not given out without building trust and proving that you can create good packages of course. The group of Arch Package Maintainers are called "Trusted Users". This repository is separate because we are not in that group (and we never applied).
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Regardless it sounds like a worthy project. Many of these applications can be rather involved to get the build setup and compiled even for experienced Linux users. Having binaries to download is much handier.