Ardour 2..8.5 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

brummer

Re: Ardour 2..8.5 released

Post by brummer »

happily "we" have a kernel witch we can compile and configure :lol:
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

brummer, I tell them exactly that... Linux is the way I want it to be, not how BillyBob Gates or Mac Buddy says it's gonna be... :D
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

I totally agree with brummer, we have almost total control over the OS, we're free. The guitardudes on the other hand are chained, chained to believing that Petrucci, Vai, Malmsteen, Van Halen etc. are the best guitarists of the universe, chained to dogma's that the Gibson '59 LP is the best guitar ever and the Marshall Plexi the best amp ever and they're chained to their OS.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

AutoStatic, Vai and Eddie can pass, the others sound the same to me but y'all are right, we do have the freedom.
now how do we make Linux the best MultiMedia(DAW) environment??
I believe it is already but we to make it the standard...
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

funkmuscle wrote:AutoStatic, Vai and Eddie can pass, the others sound the same to me but y'all are right, we do have the freedom.
now how do we make Linux the best MultiMedia(DAW) environment??
I believe it is already but we to make it the standard...
Di Meola's the best, but back to Linux.

I believe you can accomplish everything you need to with Linux but Joe User is going to think that too many apps feel like beta software and there's way too much abandonware.

I just did a fresh install of FC12 on my laptop and no dssi gui's would launch. I finally traced it down to my hostname appearing on IPV6 line for localhost in /etc/hosts. I think Joe User is going to get turned off from Linux having to deal with issues like that.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

SR wrote: I just did a fresh install of FC12 on my laptop and no dssi gui's would launch. I finally traced it down to my hostname appearing on IPV6 line for localhost in /etc/hosts. I think Joe User is going to get turned off from Linux having to deal with issues like that.
wow, this truly sucks. Could you say why this had an incidence on dssi ??
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Woah, I've been using Linux since 2000 and I still have no idea what that means. I think most people are "joe user" even if we have used Linux a long time.

-Matt :D

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I had the same issue with Rosegarden years ago but it had to do with the host name issue.
way too much work for the Windows user. they would have to reformat...hehehe!!
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

thorgal wrote:wow, this truly sucks. Could you say why this had an incidence on dssi ??
I'm no expert on dssi plugins but google sent me to this page: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-260492.html which started me looking at the hosts file. Trial and error led me to commenting out the IPV6 line for localhost.