AV Linux MX-21 Edition RC2 for Testing uploaded.

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AV Linux MX-21 Edition RC2 for Testing uploaded.

Post by GMaq »

Hi LM's!

Warm regards for the holiday season! For those who may be interested there is a Release Candidate of AV Linux MX-21 Edition for testing:

Full post here: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=68136
Last edited by GMaq on Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX-21 Edition RC1 for Testing uploaded.

Post by sunrat »

GMaq wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:25 am Hi LM's!

Warm regards for the holiday season! For those who may be interested there is a Release Candidate of AV Linux MX-21 Edition for testing:

Full post here: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=68136
AVL-MXE needs a subforum at MX forums. I sometimes can help with issues but just went there and there were over 300 unread posts. Not going to wade through them to find AVL-specific questions. I did just post a question in your announcement thread and made a suggestion in another AVL thread.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Booted the dvd, and watching Netflix, and posting this, so a good start out of the gates!
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

From the live dvd:

1. Ran winecfg, and registered wineasio 64 and 32 bit
2. copied yabridge items to /usr/bin, and added a vst path: drive_c/users/VstPlugins.
3. copied vsts to the path, added the path to yabridge list, and ran yabridgectl sync ...worked fine
4. Moved Reaper to /home/demo/.642 and changed theme to allow send-receive use
5. Did clear-cache-rescan to gather the new windows plugins ...worked fine
6. Used a synth's midi-out with a reaper send, to play another synth ...worked fine
7. Made a U-he setup and .vst3 folder for linux Hive vst3i, no problems.

Thunar worked for user and root, and firefox worked fine.

Please please please...
1. no default transparency in system gui, don't need a cluttered mess visible under my work area.
2. use a default theme with wide easy-grab borders, don't want to need arcade game precision
just to move or resize a window!

Cheers
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:47 pm From the live dvd:

1. Ran winecfg, and registered wineasio 64 and 32 bit
2. copied yabridge items to /usr/bin, and added a vst path: drive_c/users/VstPlugins.
3. copied vsts to the path, added the path to yabridge list, and ran yabridgectl sync ...worked fine
4. Moved Reaper to /home/demo/.642 and changed theme to allow send-receive use
5. Did clear-cache-rescan to gather the new windows plugins ...worked fine
6. Used a synth's midi-out with a reaper send, to play another synth ...worked fine
7. Made a U-he setup and .vst3 folder for linux Hive vst3i, no problems.

Thunar worked for user and root, and firefox worked fine.

Please please please...
1. no default transparency in system gui, don't need a cluttered mess visible under my work area.
2. use a default theme with wide easy-grab borders, don't want to need arcade game precision

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback, I will look into increasing the border area of the default OB theme, as far as transparency simply adjust to your taste in the AVL-MXE Assistant "Quick Settings" --> "Window Compositor Settings"
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:47 pm 2. use a default theme with wide easy-grab borders, don't want to need arcade game precision
Resize windows more easily using alt+right click.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

That key-combo has been suggested for years, but in my work flow, it's definitely not easier or faster.

I also realize transparency is adjustable, but prefer it off as the default.
Maybe it's trendy eye candy, 'look, ma, I can see blurry terminal text beneath
my audio editor, how cool is that!!', but when do we see it used in the physical tools
we use daily?. The software control arrays are so busy, visually competing with
those beneath them is a bridge too far...maybe do a poll, I can survive the results :)

Not trying to join the grumpy old-people (already there :shock:) ( ((that comes quickly
and naturally to us all, so prepare ye the way :wink: ))
I really like the theme colors and icons.

It would be great if rakarrack or the 'new' rakarrack variant can be added for effects.
I've never used a distro without it, since around 2013 or so, and use it daily. I installed it to
the live session.

For prepping cover and album art, to supplement the included Inkscape, the Mirage photo viewer,
and the windows irfanview graphics tool for wine. are fast, efficient, and often used 'extras'.
I copied over an irfanview folder from AVLcurrent, works fine.
The other linux tools are pretty klunky, attempting to do too much, and with unintuitive workflows,
in comparison. I installed Mirage in my live session.

The old audacity 2.2.1 has an important feature, apparently abandoned in modern graphics toolkits,
the directional browsing widgets at the bottom left and right of the waveform view. In the new versions,
when deeply zoomed in for precision edits, there is no useful cursor control for easily scrolling
when seeking the point(s) to edit.
Can a second older version be set up in /opt, with it's dependencies isolated as needed?

The dvd is still running after overnighter, and fine the next day. Performance overall seems snappier
than most other live setups I've tested. Bodes well!
Cheers
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi @glowrak guy

An RC2 has uploaded which has widened the window borders from 1px to 4px, see if that works better for you..
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Yes, the wider border makes a great difference! When the Muse whispers, I don't overshoot the runway :wink:
and the edge doesn't get lost in the dark. And lower blood pressure, without a pill! 8)

And visually, I didn't notice it, but the grab handles sure do, and it's great!
Thankyou so much!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A few general items, the audio-video timing hasn't drifted after an allnighter of
smplayer videos. The window display and moving of complex vst and other gui's is
much better. Could be that the new kernel and linux system libs are much better.
The 'feel' in use is mooth, tight, and stable! The wineasio setup works in windows Reaper!
Likely will help windows standalone softwares to run, will test more later.

Here are Todd, MaryAnne, Dante, Naomi, Katie, and their Maverick City/Tribl friends
singing the reason for the season back in summer's Juneteenth celebrations

https://youtu.be/drfiLa3cwbo

https://youtu.be/sbFq7YQM1Js

Merry Christmas, and a musically blessed 2022 for all who read this.
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

WOW, thank you Glenn!!! And merry christmas!!
Are you going to put the motu driver into this new release?
It would be sooo gooood!!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

buonamorte.records wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:58 am WOW, thank you Glenn!!! And merry christmas!!
Are you going to put the motu driver into this new release?
It would be sooo gooood!!
Hi,

Thanks, hope you had a great holiday as well!

As far as MOTU I am using the Liquorix Kernel and I am not sure if it has MOTU patches or not... Because of the large and increasing number of security vulnerabilities within Kernels it is not a good idea to have our own hand-rolled AVL Kernels as defaults any more and it is much better to let full-time experienced people handle the Kernels and damentz of the Liquorix project has been doing an incredible job for years. Moving forward the best course of action would be to make requests for device support on the Liquorix forum: https://techpatterns.com/forums/forum-34.html
SirAmpersand
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX-21 Edition RC2 for Testing uploaded.

Post by SirAmpersand »

Super Super Great System!
Many many thanks for that!

Not fully explored all yet, but had only good first impressionss! easy to install, cool design, ffado and firewire not on board (focusrite saphire) but doesn‘t matter, they where fast installed with synaptics. had to guess between firewire1 or 2 because I‘ve no idea what‘s the difference, choose 2 and it seems to be o.k.

For me it was important to have firefox audio routed in jack which I couldn‘t get runnig in Ubuntu Studio but now it works. (Love to jam allong!)
Musesscore also works out of the box.

The only thing I mentioned is that ardour doesn’t unfold all inputs and outputs in the jack patchbay which it allways did as far as I remember. ( I loved to use catja and claudia on KX). Maybe that has to do why ardour doesn‘t see my usb masterkeyboard on the miditrack inputs thoug the keyboard itself works when I directly connect it to helm….hope to tweak that in the next days.

All together a big move into the right direction for Linux Musicians IMO

see you in the shed!
Amp
Fender 95 Jazz Bass 5 String, TL Audio Fat2, FocusriteSaffire, LMK3+, SamsonGraphite M25,
KX STUDIO, Ardour, Musescore, Hydrogen, Qmidiarp, Seq24, Yoshimi, Qsynth, ZynaddSubFX, Frescobaldi , SuperCollider, Arduino+Mididings ... I love 2 play and learn !
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

SirAmpersand wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:28 pm For me it was important to have firefox audio routed in jack which I couldn‘t get runnig in Ubuntu Studio but now it works. (Love to jam allong!)
Same here, playing along with professional scores helps me learn to fit in with, rather than play over, whats happening on screen.
Not that playing over isn't great fun, and valuable for practice sake :wink:
Cheers
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

:D Wow this post just made my day better. Thank you very much Glenn! Definitely giving this one a try! Hope you had a great Christmas and very soon a great new year! Love AVL :mrgreen: