AV Linux MX-21 Edition RC2 for Testing uploaded.

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Rodney
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX-21 Edition RC2 for Testing uploaded.

Post by Rodney »

And it´s amazing! :D I don´t know how you do it, but oh man, AVLMX is always getting better and better. Faster, lighter and more stable than ever! I can´t believe how good it is. Honestly I´ve upgraded my notebook to windows 11 and it´s so bad! An entire company can´t get it right, but you can! One OS that is reliable and efficient: AVLMX. Perfect. :D

Thank you glenn! And of course all the Open source community for this amazing distro

Att.: ROdney
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Dear Glenn,

I wasn't able to configure or build guitarix from source on this preliminar version of AVL, maybe because the system is still not complete with all the packages? I thought it was a guitarix's release issue but I successfully configured and built in the latest stable version of AVLMXE.

Either way, I AM in love with the RC1, looks and feels great.

Thank you very much
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:55 pm Dear Glenn,

I wasn't able to configure or build guitarix from source on this preliminar version of AVL, maybe because the system is still not complete with all the packages? I thought it was a guitarix's release issue but I successfully configured and built in the latest stable version of AVLMXE.

Either way, I AM in love with the RC1, looks and feels great.

Thank you very much
Hi,

It has been unclear to me for many years if people even use all the development packages and tools that AVL has provided in the past, I have never had one post or comment that acknowledged that anyone knew all of that stuff was even included so while creating the new release to save some complexity and ISO space I have not included development libraries (ie '-dev' packages). I would guess that many or most people that are skilled enough to try compiling their own packages also are aware of how to read the software dependencies included in the source code documentation or on the various projects git repository pages. Maybe you have proven me wrong already... :lol:
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

I believe that MX repo has guitarix packages that are within a few commits of the git version. It shouldn't be necessary to compile from source.

That said the script for Guitarix will tell you what needs to be installed as it proceeds. If memory serves the package names are Ubuntu centric so I think I had to use debian packages search at times to find the debian specific package to get guitarix compiled for bullseye. Had I found the MX packages first it probably would have saved me some time. I have gotten used to compiling guitarix as the Ubuntu packages are quite outdated. I'm still getting used to bullseye. Switched to it for my old 32bit laptop.

Not including dev packages in an install is pretty normal for most distros.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

:D damn! Having all the packages save me a lot of time hahaha, I don´t have internet connection at home and AVL has always being a great distro for that matter. I need to compile guitarix from source because I have customized it for my own needs :mrgreen: .

Either way, can´t wait for the new AVLMX, it´s looking and feeling great.

Thanks a lot again for your work, absolutely adore it.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Dear Glenn,

After testing this RC I've round a couple of issues: 1. After configuring wine and ardour, the VSTs are recognized by the scan but they fail for some reason, a huge list of error is displayed by Ardour to show the plugins that failed.
2. I can't get to run Audio Assault's Blacksun plugin (for free until december 2022), the stand Alone binary doesn't run, and the plugin in the previous version of AVLMXE , after successfuly registering it, no sound comes out of it. Go figure. Can you check this one out? See if it works.

Thanks a lot, that's pretty much I've found so far. It's lokking great though

Cheers,

Rodney
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:59 pm Dear Glenn,

After testing this RC I've round a couple of issues: 1. After configuring wine and ardour, the VSTs are recognized by the scan but they fail for some reason, a huge list of error is displayed by Ardour to show the plugins that failed.
2. I can't get to run Audio Assault's Blacksun plugin (for free until december 2022), the stand Alone binary doesn't run, and the plugin in the previous version of AVLMXE , after successfuly registering it, no sound comes out of it. Go figure. Can you check this one out? See if it works.

Cheers,

Rodney
Hi Rodney,

I appreciate the feedback!

There are a few things I should clarify, unless I know that a specific version of Wine-Staging is broken (and Wine-Staging after about 6.19 all the way to the current 7.0 release is known to work) then I can only do 2 things... Provide the user with Wine-Staging in it's current version and provide the user with the most recent Yabridge after that I test the example Windows plugins that come with AVL-MXE and if they work I'm done... Wine is always changing and always fixing some things and breaking others and Windows VST is a hack and always will be a hack. I can't troubleshoot individual Windows Plugins I don't have the time or interest and @robbert-vdh has a full time project just doing that... I basically provide the User with a Win VST starter-kit and my work is done.

As you can see in this Video at about the 11 minute mark I show how yabridge is used and that the Plugins appear to be working even on the Live session: https://youtu.be/cg9tiKFsrBo In your case if you've added Plugins of your own from a different folder are you sure that you added the folder Paths to Yabridge and Ardour correctly?

As far as the Audio Assault Black Sun, I have not looked at it and will not have time to look at before releasing AVL-MXE. My educated guess would be if it doesn't run on AVL-MXE it probably doesn't run on any Debian Bullseye based system and more than likely has been developed on Ubuntu and has a libc6 or some system library requirement that is specific to Ubuntu, this is often the case with Plugin developers porting to Linux.

Has anyone else tried Black Sun on a vanilla Debian Bullseye system?
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Rodney wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:59 pm Dear Glenn,

Cheers,

Rodney
I have a Blacksun running AVL MXE RC2.
Did you put directory permissions as instructed in the Read me file?

"copy the "Blacksun" folder to "/opt/Audio Assault/"
e.g. "/opt/Audio Assault/Blacksun/"

Blacksunvst2.so goes wherever you put your vst plug-ins

BlacksunStandalone v2 is the standalone binary

don't forget to set reading and writing permission for the data folder, and execute permissions for the stand alone."
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for for the reply :mrgreen: . Yes I have done everything as instructed, but even after successfully activating the plugin and apparently getting the LV2 to work in Ardour, no sound comes out of it, go figure. The standalone simply won't run and like I said, I don't know why the scanner plugins fail. Nevermind, I'll just Walt for the release of AVLMXE, really excited, can't wait for it :)

Thanks a lot as always, you rock

Rodney