AV Linux MX Edition Bullseye Sneak Peek..

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AV Linux MX Edition Bullseye Sneak Peek..

Post by GMaq »

Hi LM Compadres!

Just passing along a little progress report for any who may be interested..

https://youtu.be/cg9tiKFsrBo
sunrat
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Bullseye Sneak Peek..

Post by sunrat »

Most impressive @GMaq ! Some great new features, particularly YADbridge.
You said you no longer include KX repos which is understandable as he is not updating many 3rd party packages. Nevertheless, will Carla be included? It's the one KX package I use a lot.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sunrat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:12 am Most impressive @GMaq ! Some great new features, particularly YADbridge.
You said you no longer include KX repos which is understandable as he is not updating many 3rd party packages. Nevertheless, will Carla be included? It's the one KX package I use a lot.
Hi! and thanks!

Early to say about Carla but probably not... I think in general the idea is to transition toward to a fully pre-configured base system with all the usual performance tweaks, JACK/Pulse stuff figured out (not touching PW yet, looks promising but...), Wine/yabridge/WineASIO working OOTB, Power-user helper apps and Custom Actions and beyond that a couple of DAWs, a handful of Plugins not Packaged elsewhere and lastly some common bulletproof multimedia apps..

I am sick to death of the Plugins treadmill, you literally could have a full time job just discovering them let alone building or Packaging them and I want out!!...lol. I've actually got far more complaints over the years about too many Plugins than anyone who has ever said "OMG you put noise-repellent in there!!"...lol. Keeping track of and updating Plugins is almost more work than doing the rest of the project so I'm handing that off to the User.. I'm still on the fence about the commercial demo stuff, that in itself is another slippery slope..

People can add KX or check out the Juce OBS from @Kott if they choose and consult the great@occulkot website and figure out what they want from there just like they do on Windows and OSX.
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

Cool to see the use of the LQX kernel! Especially after seeing the results from Unfa's testing of it vs the RT kernel.

Any chance of seeing an option to install with pipewire as default in the future?
Amp: Echolette M40 / NG51S Tape Echo
Strings: Martin D15M, Yamaha FG-180, Alhambra 5P, Yamaha Revstar
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

christobal wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:16 pm Cool to see the use of the LQX kernel! Especially after seeing the results from Unfa's testing of it vs the RT kernel.

Any chance of seeing an option to install with pipewire as default in the future?
Yes, I've waffled back and forth from RT to Lowlatency over a long period of time and there is no way to make everyone happy but Liquorix is highly specialized, has proven itself to perform well and is a great way to keep a bleeding edge Kernel in a stable system not to mention keeping the door open for nVidia drivers without special patching..

On pipewire... as I said it looks promising, it seem to work well in some scenarios and it seems to still impact performance negatively in others.. What I never understand is 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'... So we have JACK/Pulse, it is well established and has it's limitations... if it is set up properly from the get go (as it is presented on AVL) it is largely invisible to the user.. Pipewire comes along and still has some distance to go and suddenly JACK/Pulse is old rubbish.. In the meantime many people including myself are using the DAW direct to ALSA anyway. To me it is kind of a Tube amp/Transistor amp scenario, Tubes worked great but had reliability issues and along came transistors which provided reliability gains but other losses.. many great records have been made with both... I'm slow to change what I know and what works predictably and for this release on Bullseye I won't be focusing on that, I would hope and guess by the next Debian stable release (Bookworm) that pipewire will have matured into the defacto standard it promises to become.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Watching the preview now. I'm finally ready to jump onto the AVL world and I can't remember actually being this excited for a distro before. :) Looking forward to it!
listenable at c6a7.org
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

GMaq wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:54 pmOn pipewire... as I said it looks promising, it seem to work well in some scenarios and it seems to still impact performance negatively in others.. What I never understand is 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'... So we have JACK/Pulse, it is well established and has it's limitations... if it is set up properly from the get go (as it is presented on AVL) it is largely invisible to the user.. Pipewire comes along and still has some distance to go and suddenly JACK/Pulse is old rubbish.. In the meantime many people including myself are using the DAW direct to ALSA anyway. To me it is kind of a Tube amp/Transistor amp scenario, Tubes worked great but had reliability issues and along came transistors which provided reliability gains but other losses.. many great records have been made with both... I'm slow to change what I know and what works predictably and for this release on Bullseye I won't be focusing on that, I would hope and guess by the next Debian stable release (Bookworm) that pipewire will have matured into the defacto standard it promises to become.
Pipewire is included in Debian testing (bookworm) by default, pulseaudio is no longer available. I was wondering the other day that jackd && pulseaudio bridge didn't work until I found out that pulseaudio wasn't installed. With https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire#For_JACK jackd then worked again.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

khz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:23 pm Pipewire is included in Debian testing (bookworm) by default, pulseaudio is no longer available. I was wondering the other day that jackd && pulseaudio bridge didn't work until I found out that pulseaudio wasn't installed. With https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire#For_JACK jackd then worked again.
@khz are you sure about this?

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=pulseaudio

I use Sid and I'm still with PA+JACK. PipeWire get pulled but is not enabled by default yet and can be safely removed too.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

khz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:23 pm
GMaq wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:54 pmOn pipewire... as I said it looks promising, it seem to work well in some scenarios and it seems to still impact performance negatively in others.. What I never understand is 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'... So we have JACK/Pulse, it is well established and has it's limitations... if it is set up properly from the get go (as it is presented on AVL) it is largely invisible to the user.. Pipewire comes along and still has some distance to go and suddenly JACK/Pulse is old rubbish.. In the meantime many people including myself are using the DAW direct to ALSA anyway. To me it is kind of a Tube amp/Transistor amp scenario, Tubes worked great but had reliability issues and along came transistors which provided reliability gains but other losses.. many great records have been made with both... I'm slow to change what I know and what works predictably and for this release on Bullseye I won't be focusing on that, I would hope and guess by the next Debian stable release (Bookworm) that pipewire will have matured into the defacto standard it promises to become.
Pipewire is included in Debian testing (bookworm) by default, pulseaudio is no longer available. I was wondering the other day that jackd && pulseaudio bridge didn't work until I found out that pulseaudio wasn't installed. With https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire#For_JACK jackd then worked again.
Thanks @khz

That link makes it pretty clear that as far as Debian 11 (Bullseye) things are still quite experimental in nature and experimentation is awesome on your own machine and keeps us moving forward but a system distributed to others things should 'just work' as much as possible IMHO..
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

GMaq wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:32 pma system distributed to others things should 'just work' as much as possible IMHO..
Fullack.

I was a friend of: KLANG: A New Linux Audio System For The Kernel https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... px=MTE1MDc.

<EDIT>PIPEWIRE: A LOW-LEVEL MULTIMEDIA SUBSYSTEM https://lac2020.sciencesconf.org/307881/document
PipeWire: the new audio and video daemon in Fedora Linux 34 https://fedoramagazine.org/pipewire-the ... -linux-34/</EDIT>
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Cant't Wait for it, AVL rocks! My workstation of choice! Always improving and making it even better is something that I can't even think how you and trulan do it, you guys are great! Pretty much wizards!

Thanks a lot, already excited 😍
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

Wow! really looking forward to this! It has everything I want as well as a few things I didn't know I wanted. Thanks for all of your work in not only maintaining AVLinux but expanding its capabilities!