pd2jack v0.4.0 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMoon
Established Member

pd2jack v0.4.0 released

Post by GMoon »

A new version of the pd2jack app (v0.4.0), a LibPd <-> JACK client for Linux:
https://github.com/GModal/pd2jack

This release adds OSC IPC, a simple client example, more cmds (over 40), additional patches (some utility patches) and updated documentation.

OSC i/o is handled by pd2jack directly, with options to passthru data to the running patch(es).

There are now over 40 "immediate commands" for controlling pd2jack (and sending data to the patch).

An example client (for MobMuPlat) included (video link):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoK10FlV-Ng

Other native clients are in the works (the holdup on those is mostly about build issues-makefiles, etc).
Basslint
Established Member

Re: pd2jack v0.4.0 released

Post by Basslint »

Great work! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

It looks like a great tool!
Time to test it with some patches. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

I would like to try the MTC or MIDI Clock features but in the README I can't find much informations about it.
Is there some resource where I can look how to? (I'm tryng to sync VCV Rack with PD)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

Thanks! Please send me feedback (and bug reports, too)!

Today I've added a native client as a release "asset" on github. Compiling it is pretty wonky (which is why it's not part of the repo). Instructions are in the zip.

Still looking for a demo GUI frontend that's:
* included with most repos
* source projects easily defined with text (not a gui builder app)
* lightweight (or interpreted, that would be nice)
LAM wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:33 pm I would like to try the MTC or MIDI Clock features but in the README I can't find much informations about it.
Is there some resource where I can look how to? (I'm tryng to sync VCV Rack with PD)
There are a couple test patches in the pd_util folder -- I used those to test pd->pd2jack->(qtractor or other app). The util patches don't run IN pd2jack, but they do send clock ticks, so you might start there. The parts of those patches that generate the ticks will work within pd2jack.

It's honestly been a few months since I last worked on the MIDI code, but I believe I tested MTC from a LV2 plugin, but there weren't a lot of applications to test it with. So I just used a monitor on the outgoing data...

(Edit) I wrote in the README that MTC was tested with Ardour and with the LV2 plugin Midi Timecode (MTC) Generator, i.e. like: MTC->pd2jack->Ardour. I forgot that :wink: . Most MIDI tests were performed by passing data through the inout.pd patch.
I don't see much evidence that a MTC generator patch has been written in Pure Data. Hmm. MTC was created mostly with video sync in mind, and timing is crucial for that application.
(end Edit)

NOTE: It's been reported (on this forum) that MIDI clock data isn't super-steady or reliable via JACK midi. So it might work for you (maybe???).