Hydrogen 1.1.0 beta 1 release & 20 years of Hydrogen

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

mauser
Established Member

Hydrogen 1.1.0 beta 1 release & 20 years of Hydrogen

Post by mauser »

Hi everyone,

we're happy to announce the release of the first beta version of Hydrogen 1.1. You can find the Changelog and all downloads at GitHub.

But there is more: ca. 20 years ago, on April 19th 2001, the tarball of Hydrogen 0.1 has been uploaded to SourceForge. So in these days, Hydrogen celebrates its 20th birthday!

During those 20 years, Hydrogen established a large userbase and became a popular cross-platform application which is present in dozens of Linux distributions, software download portals and OS X/Windows software collections. The use-cases for Hydrogen became more and more diverse in the last time.
People use it on stage as a drum machine for live performances, as a companion for guitar or other music practice , as a prototyping-tool to create drum tracks or as replacement for their e-drum modules.

But there were also multiple times when the project was already declared 'dead', when development activities nearly came to a halt and the future of the project was not clear. Luckily enough those periods were always short and in the last year, Hydrogen development was more active then it has been for a long time. With an up-to-date manual, a modern cross-platform CI service and backed by a new team the project is well prepared for the future.

I would like to use this occasion to thank everyone who has contributed in all those years, no matter in which role the contribution has been made and how large the contribution was. Special thanks go out to Comix, who has created Hydrogen and has build the foundation of today's project.
Let's have another 20 years with new ideas, interesting contributions and a lot fun.

Best regards & cheers,
Sebastian
milo
Established Member

Re: Hydrogen 1.1.0 beta 1 release & 20 years of Hydrogen

Post by milo »

I first used Hydrogen in about 2005, and was very impressed with it even then. Thanks for all of your work to make such a useful tool. I have used it in many recordings over the years
Johnito
Established Member

Post by Johnito »

Thank you for Hydrogen. Using it since 2009!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Use it off and on. Does it now respond to MIDI Volume change? It was always an annoyance that it was the only thing I had to set by hand, so couldn't realistically change it during a perfomance.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Hydrogen is awesome! THank you very much for developing and sharing all this years :D and many more years to come!
mortuarygrinder

Post by mortuarygrinder »

When I started with a new music project in 2014 (after a couple years hiatus) I picked up Hydrogen for my drummer duties and use it ever since.

Recently I switched to Drumgizmo and for one track programmed the drums directly in Ardour but it was really painful. So I found a workaround in his forum to use Hydrogen for it again and I can keep going as usual now.

It probably doesn't fit in the concept of Hydrogen to use drum plugins as instruments directly, but anyway, I'll still keep using it as I'm really happy with it after all.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

mortuarygrinder wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:32 am When I started with a new music project in 2014 (after a couple years hiatus) I picked up Hydrogen for my drummer duties and use it ever since.

Recently I switched to Drumgizmo and for one track programmed the drums directly in Ardour but it was really painful. So I found a workaround in his forum to use Hydrogen for it again and I can keep going as usual now.

It probably doesn't fit in the concept of Hydrogen to use drum plugins as instruments directly, but anyway, I'll still keep using it as I'm really happy with it after all.
Could Hydrogen get a plugin system that would allow me to use a software synthesizer for drum programming? That way, I won't have to launch ZynAddSubFX just for drums and I don't have to fiddle with MIDI notes for triggering drums in ZASF! :) Why not :D
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Unable to compile latest Hydrogen!

Code: Select all

root# cd build
root# cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
CMake Error: The current CMakeCache.txt directory /mnt/sda1/Dateien/Downloads/hydrogen/build/CMakeCache.txt is different than the directory /Users/colin/hydrogen/build where CMakeCache.txt was created. This may result in binaries being created in the wrong place. If you are not sure, reedit the CMakeCache.txt
CMake Error: The source "/mnt/sda1/Dateien/Downloads/hydrogen/CMakeLists.txt" does not match the source "/Users/colin/hydrogen/CMakeLists.txt" used to generate cache.  Re-run cmake with a different source directory.
root#

-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:17 (PROJECT):
  The CMAKE_C_COMPILER:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/cc

is not a full path to an existing compiler tool.

Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment
  variable "CC" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_C_COMPILER to the full path to
  the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

The CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/c++

variable "CXX" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to the full path
  to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/mnt/sda1/Dateien/Downloads/hydrogen/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/mnt/sda1/Dateien/Downloads/hydrogen/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
root#
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I would like to feature Hydrogen around a 3:00 mark in my video that I made 9 years ago!
https://odysee.com/@GraysonPeddie:6/Web ... erCenter:a

Thank you @mauser for everything you've done for Hydrogen!
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Hydrogen is the first FLOSS music program I really understood. Without it I would not be here. Long live Hydrogen :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

TAERSH wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:36 pm Unable to compile latest Hydrogen!

root# cd build
CMake Error: The current CMakeCache.txt directory /mnt/sda1/Dateien/Downloads/hydrogen/build/CMakeCache.txt is different than the directory /Users/colin/hydrogen/build where CMakeCache.txt was created. This may result in binaries being created in the wrong place. If you are not sure, reedit the CMakeCache.txt
CMake Error: The source "/mnt/sda1/Dateien/Downloads/hydrogen/CMakeLists.txt" does not match the source "/Users/colin/hydrogen/CMakeLists.txt" used to generate cache.  Re-run cmake with a different source directory.
root#

-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
  The CMAKE_C_COMPILER:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/cc

variable "CC" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_C_COMPILER to the full path to
  the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

The CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/c++

variable "CXX" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to the full path
  to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/mnt/sda1/Dateien/Downloads/hydrogen/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/mnt/sda1/Dateien/Downloads/hydrogen/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
root#