Patroneo - Easy Pattern Sequencer, Version 2.1.0 (Feature Release)

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

nils
Established Member

Patroneo - Easy Pattern Sequencer, Version 2.1.0 (Feature Release)

Post by nils »

hereby the Laborejo Software Suite releases updates for its programs in
the hope to be useful in your musical toolbox.
You can now download Patroneo version 2.1.0 .

https://laborejo.org/downloads/patroneo-2.1.0.tar.gz

All software is released under GPLv3.

Patroneo (Esperanto: /Pattern/) is an easy to use, pattern based midi
sequencer, a program that sends digital "notes" to software instruments
such as synthesizers and samplers.

Changelog Highlights:

Code: Select all

* Full Undo/Redo
* Add track groups, which double as midi bus. This enhances overview for more complex projects.
* Add option to follow the playhead in pattern view (or not), required by the much longer patterns. Also better scrolling and playhead is always visible now.
* Add option to change the midi channel for a track in the tracks context menu.
* Add View-Menu with options to maximize the two editor areas.
* Add advanced feature for a global rhythm offset, meant for Jack-Transport. Allows the whole piece to begin later on the jack-timeline.
You can find all releases as sources here. Also check your distribution
for packages in a few days after this announcement, please.

https://laborejo.org/downloads

For more information, a multi-language user manual, build instructions
and git access please visit

https://www.laborejo.org/patroneo
Largos
Established Member

Re: Patroneo - Easy Pattern Sequencer, Version 2.1.0 (Feature Release)

Post by Largos »

Great update! In the future, are you going to make it so the playhead matches the notes when there is a global rhythm offset?

Typical though, I uploaded a tune to soundcloud with the first note missing last night and then came here to see you'd posted a fix :lol:
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Largos wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:03 pm Great update! In the future, are you going to make it so the playhead matches the notes when there is a global rhythm offset?
The playhead matches the actual jack transport position. If you positioned your Patroneo session, let's say, at 1:30 minutes the playhead will remain in the "0" position (negative actually) until jack transport reaches 1:30 and then start moving.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

I looked at it more closely. If the value of the "in groups of:" field is more than "1" then the playhead is out of sync (ahead) with what is being played in the Song Area. Also, when the value of the "in groups of:" field is higher than the amount of measures being offset then the playhead is out of sync with the Pattern Area,
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Thanks for the report. I will fix this.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Sorry for bumping but is there a chance that you will adopt a different model than a CC BY-ND license for protecting your trademark? Trademark and copyright are best kept separated. I am fine with registered trademarks but nonfree data is not allowed on every distro :(
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

I do not have a trademark. I just have copyright on my logo, because I created it. And on the name of course.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

nilshi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:58 pm I do not have a trademark. I just have copyright on my logo, because I created it. And on the name of course.
Sounds like you've don't create the rest of the software. :lol:
Me duck and run. :twisted:
On the road again.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

tramp wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:46 pm
nilshi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:58 pm I do not have a trademark. I just have copyright on my logo, because I created it. And on the name of course.
Sounds like you've don't create the rest of the software. :lol:
Me duck and run. :twisted:
As per usual, I stole the rest of the software ;)
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

nilshi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:04 pm As per usual, I stole the rest of the software
It's a pitty that you've don't stole the name and the logo, so that your software at least becomes free as in freedom. :evil:
On the road again.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

It's cool, I am not saying you should relinquish it :D It's just that some repositories have policies which require all files of a program to be released under free licenses, such as Debian (source, question 10).

I actually have no problems distributing images under the CC By-ND license. Nearly all music I listen to, books I read and movies I see are released under a far stricter license. However, that does limit the mobility of the software.

What you want to do is OK - claiming sole ownership of a software is a way to assure its quality in theory. But copyright law is not made for that, copyright is meant to limit the rights to copy something. What protects a "brand" is actually a trademark. I know you don't have one but I think it would be the best thing for the project if you registered trademarks for all the names and logos and released all files, including the images, under free licenses. This is what big projects like Ardour do.

The CC By-ND does not grant any of the protections of a trademark, anyway. People can legally fork Patroneo, call it Patroneo and put your logo on it, the license actually allows it! :D The By-ND clause means that they must say you are the original author. If they do and leave the logo unchanged, they haven't made a derivative work and they can legally use your branding.

You say in the license file:
These and the name of the program itself cannot be reused when forking and re-releasing.
Well, that's what trademark is for, not copyright :D The CC By-ND does not cover that and I am not sure that in all jurisdictions the license terms would apply to a trademark. Why would there be registered trademarks, then?

As a matter of fact, the US copyright website is clear that you cannot copyright a name (source). Now, I know you are not from the US (neither am I) but that means that your terms would be hard to enforce there, for example, where a lot of users live.

So what I am asking you is: please, reconsider shipping nonfree files, which negatively affect the project's status as FLOSS in some venues, thus its popularity. The current terms sadly achieve nothing and to achieve what you want, a (sadly, costly) registered trademark is needed. If you can't afford to register those trademarks, you can just leave your "no forks with the same name" clause (even if it might be not legally binding because it's not a trademark, it's enough to deter) and remove the CC By-ND license since, as we've seen, it does not actually prevent people from making a fork of your programs using your branding.

Even if you don't, thank you for listening :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!