Guitarix2 release version 0.42.1

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Guitarix2 release version 0.42.1

Post by tramp »

I'm pleased to announce the release of guitarix2-0.42.1

A virtual guitar amplifier for Linux running with jack (Jack Audio Connection Kit) released under the
GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This is a quick Fix release:

Make new Output Limiter less conservative
Add Indicator Widget for the Limiter to show limiting levels
Increase range for Volume controls on the Power Amp plugin
Fix MultiBandDistortion introduce sonic noise
Add Limiter to the Ladspa plugin
add configure option to build and link libgxw(mm) statically

Last release:

https://github.com/brummer10/guitarix/r ... ag/V0.42.1

Project Page on github:

https://github.com/brummer10/guitarix

Project Page on SourceForge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/guitarix/
On the road again.
luciorgomes
Established Member

Re: Guitarix2 release version 0.42.1

Post by luciorgomes »

I'd got an error on build. The 0.42 version ran OK here.

Code: Select all

11:17:24 runner ['/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/tools/dsp2cc', '-o', '/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/build/src/faust/tonestack_jcm800.cc', '--no-version-header', '--double', '--init-type=plugin-instance', '../src/faust/tonestack_jcm800.dsp']
[289/292] Compiling src/faust/tonestack_ac15.dsp
11:17:24 runner system command -> /home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/tools/dsp2cc -o /home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/build/src/faust/tonestack_ac15.cc --no-version-header --double --init-type=plugin-instance ../src/faust/tonestack_ac15.dsp
11:17:24 runner ['/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/tools/dsp2cc', '-o', '/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/build/src/faust/tonestack_ac15.cc', '--no-version-header', '--double', '--init-type=plugin-instance', '../src/faust/tonestack_ac15.dsp']
[290/292] Compiling src/faust/tonestack_ampeg.dsp
11:17:25 runner system command -> /home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/tools/dsp2cc -o /home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/build/src/faust/tonestack_ampeg.cc --no-version-header --double --init-type=plugin-instance ../src/faust/tonestack_ampeg.dsp
11:17:25 runner ['/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/tools/dsp2cc', '-o', '/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/build/src/faust/tonestack_ampeg.cc', '--no-version-header', '--double', '--init-type=plugin-instance', '../src/faust/tonestack_ampeg.dsp']
Alarm clock
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/tools/dsp2cc", line 2337, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/tools/dsp2cc", line 2315, in main
    parser = Parser(faust.stdout,
  File "/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/tools/dsp2cc", line 563, in __init__
    self.faust_version = headvers.group(3)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'

Waf: Leaving directory `/home/lucio/Build/guitarix/trunk/build'
Build failed
 -> task in '' failed with exit status 1: 
        {task 140331596258544: dsp compressor.dsp -> compressor.cc}
''
lucio@lucio-kubuntu:~/Build/guitarix/trunk$ 
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

you should configure with

Code: Select all

--no-faust
all sources comes pre-build, so there is no need to re-build sources from faust level.

btw. the error seems to be related to rd.maxn(), last releases I use rd-mean(), but that only gives a vague level indicator. rd.maxn() is much better (and I use it before for may years, but, for some faust releases it leads to such a error you report).
Now, with recent faust it works again, so I decide to switch back to use it.
I need to think about to make faust use a non default option.
On the road again.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Nice!
Guitarix only gets better and better. Trying it out now. It´s off topic, but just out of curiosity, is it possible to build the JCM 800 tonestack plugin using the DK simulator? Tim Goetze/ David Yeh tonestacks once they are added to the signal chain( after the JCM800pre), they retain a lot of sustain. If you try just the JCM800pre+JCM800PowA it sounds a lot better and sustains longer. That being said, if it´s possible, I would love to try it and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks a lot as always dear Brummer! You and all the guys involved in getting guitarix out to the masses are awesome!

Att.: Rodney
tristan.tarrant
Established Member

Post by tristan.tarrant »

I think we should review the demo banks/presets as the ones there are not particularly useful to help understanding how to build a rack
There should be a bunch of "dry" presets ranging from clean to high gain but without any of the modulation effects.

* Sparkly funky clean
* Warm jazzy clean
* Clean on the verge of breaking up
* Low gain bluesy
* Mid-gain crunch
* High gain rock
* High gain metal

Modulation effects could be present in the presets but should be disabled.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Rodney wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:09 pm is it possible to build the JCM 800 tonestack plugin using the DK simulator
Yes it is, but I don't really know why we should do that. The LV2 version of the jcm800pre already contain the tonestack, and the version in guitarix could use the tonestack plugin.
If you like the caps tonestack more, just use that instead.
tristan.tarrant wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:20 am I think we should review the demo banks/presets as the ones there are not particularly useful to help understanding how to build a rack
There should be a bunch of "dry" presets ranging from clean to high gain but without any of the modulation effects.
I'm all open for this idea.
It would make me glad to implement that, when I receive such a set as a user contribution.
On the road again.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Hi Brummer,

I have tried both tonestack modules, Guitarix´s and C*´s but unfortunately both have the exact same issue: they retain sustain. I believe if the JCM800´s tonestack is built using the DK ampsim than it´s going to work properly :D . I could contribute with those presets if you like, but I make use of the JCM800PowA in order to achieve realistic simulations for clean, pushed clean (jazz sounds), crunch and High gain. So I don´t know if that would be a problem, since the JCM800PowA is still an experimental plugin.

Cheers,

Rodney