Do-over! AVL-MXE 2020.12.03 ISO Update..

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Do-over! AVL-MXE 2020.12.03 ISO Update..

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Eeesh I hope I got it right(er) this time...

http://www.bandshed.net/2020/12/03/do-o ... -released/

Best! Glen
Rodney
Established Member

Re: Do-over! AVL-MXE 2020.12.03 ISO Update..

Post by Rodney »

Niceeee! Downloading now. THanks as always dear GMaq!
arifd
Established Member

Post by arifd »

Hi Glen,

We spoke before about getting a plugin installed by default into OBS, which requires a kernel module installed by default also.

To make your life easier, and respect the boundaries between maintainer and user, I would be very satisfied if AVL-MXE only had the `v4l2loopback` kernel module loaded by default. I would then concern myself with the OBS plugin. The `v4l2loopback` module is what allows for a virtual webcam to be created (which the OBS plugin, or anything else theoretically, such as FFMPEG, can then write to).

Given this is a multimedia driven distro, I think a virtual webcam feature built into the kernel is highly desirable and appropriate. Would you consider adding it to the next update please?

I tried `sudo apt install v4l2loopback-dkms` but it fails. I tried cloning the source code from git, and `make install` succeeds, but `modprobe` can't find it (it appears to be installed into `/lib/modules/5.9.1-rt20avl1/extra`)

Thank you.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

arifd wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:40 pm Hi Glen,

We spoke before about getting a plugin installed by default into OBS, which requires a kernel module installed by default also.

To make your life easier, and respect the boundaries between maintainer and user, I would be very satisfied if AVL-MXE only had the `v4l2loopback` kernel module loaded by default. I would then concern myself with the OBS plugin. The `v4l2loopback` module is what allows for a virtual webcam to be created (which the OBS plugin, or anything else theoretically, such as FFMPEG, can then write to).

Given this is a multimedia driven distro, I think a virtual webcam feature built into the kernel is highly desirable and appropriate. Would you consider adding it to the next update please?

I tried `sudo apt install v4l2loopback-dkms` but it fails. I tried cloning the source code from git, and `make install` succeeds, but `modprobe` can't find it (it appears to be installed into `/lib/modules/5.9.1-rt20avl1/extra`)

Thank you.
Hi,

Yes I do remember, the updated ISO wasn't about adding features it was about fixing concerns with the original one..

If it just a matter of getting v4l2loopback to work you may find installing an alternate kernel (ie Liquorix) may have that module included but I have not tested that personally..

In the case Liquorix has that module you can simply load the module in a Root Terminal with:

Code: Select all

modprobe v4l2loopback
If that works with OBS as expected I can show you how to load that module at boot..
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

Hi Glen,

the problems you've found can be also solved by updating or I need to re-install?

Thanks again!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

buonamorte.records wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:41 pm Hi Glen,

the problems you've found can be also solved by updating or I need to re-install?

Thanks again!
Hi, good question!

If you want updated Mixbus you'll need to download it manually from Harrison (it's not a Deb)... The updates to guitarix and qjackctl will appear in the regular MX Repos in a day or two also Qtractor is in there.. If you want better looking QT5 theming then run the QT5 settings and change the them from gtk2 to 'Fusion' and then import the 'Diehard' colors..

See this thread Post 3: viewtopic.php?f=4&p=126387#p126387
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

Perfect, thank you! (Mixbus already updated, I'll change only the qt5).
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I noticed in the previous thread that there were issues with the KX repos. Having taken that out, my question is, is there a simple way to install Cadence. Seems problematic to build.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

CraigPid wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:52 am I noticed in the previous thread that there were issues with the KX repos. Having taken that out, my question is, is there a simple way to install Cadence. Seems problematic to build.
KX Repos are still there and enabled, I'm just not relying on them for some applications any more, Cadence should be installable from Synaptic..
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Thank you so much for this update, it´s perfect now for me. Even Guitarix dependencies are there now, I don´t have to install a bunch of them anymore :D and Ardour is working perfectly well with all the VSTs as well and I love AVL´s tools, so much easier now to edit things. Great job as usual! You rock dear GLenn
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks Rodney!

Guitarix updates should come through the MX Repos now... see this thread if you are building guitarix for yourself:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22371&start=15