AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sunrat
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Post by sunrat »

lykwydchykyn wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:57 amIs it possible to install Nvidia on this kernel or do I need a different one?
The default realtime kernel doesn't support building nvidia driver modules. Liquorix kernel is a good low-latency alternative for which nvidia should build fine as long as the driver version is compatible ie. the very latest kernel may need a newer version of nvidia than your distro repos. I run Debian Buster with a Liquorix 5.8 kernel currently with Nvidia 450.x.x from Debian backports. I've heard the 5.9 Liquorix is now supported too, but I don't bother updating every kernel version as it usually makes no difference to performance in the short term anyway.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

GMaq wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:20 pm
lilith wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:38 pm I checked out the Live image yesterday and like the design a lot :D . I'm totally confused with Wine and don't even have the slightest clue at the moment how to use it and also if I want to use it. :lol: Could this be deinstalled easily?

I also asked myself why Cadence is not used, but Qjackctl?

I was using KXStudio repos with Debian in the past and my experiences in forums have been quite bad after mentioning the KX repos. People just don't understand what it is (and they are not interested to get more info about it) and you usually here that you have a Frankenstein Debian that will soon crash.

So I wonder if the the MXLinux guys are more open to "foreign" repositories like KXstudio.
Hi lilith!

KXStudio repos just provide plugins (and falkTX's own projects) now and do a good job of that, they have always played nice with Debian in my experience..

As far as the wine stuff, it is all ready to try so why not?, even some example WInVST plugins preinstalled to show how it works... Read the User Manual Windows software section for for clarification.. The biggest hurdle is to run 'Configure Wine-staging' from the AVL Assistant before running a Plugin scan in your DAW.. when it asks to install gecko and mono simply cancel those installations they have nothing to do with running plugins, other than that no other changes need to be made to Wine Staging..

Why use Cadence?...lol.. Qjackctl is all set up with pajackconnect to seamlessly integrate PulseAudio.. if you don't like that install Cadence!
Thank Glen, I'll play a bit more with it. If I run into problems with Ubuntustudio this will be my next setup.
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

sunrat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:07 am
lykwydchykyn wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:57 amIs it possible to install Nvidia on this kernel or do I need a different one?
The default realtime kernel doesn't support building nvidia driver modules. Liquorix kernel is a good low-latency alternative for which nvidia should build fine as long as the driver version is compatible ie. the very latest kernel may need a newer version of nvidia than your distro repos. I run Debian Buster with a Liquorix 5.8 kernel currently with Nvidia 450.x.x from Debian backports. I've heard the 5.9 Liquorix is now supported too, but I don't bother updating every kernel version as it usually makes no difference to performance in the short term anyway.
Thanks, I'll try a few different kernels. Don't really need the latest, either, especially since my hardware is like 10 years old :lol:
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

lykwydchykyn wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:36 pmThanks, I'll try a few different kernels. Don't really need the latest, either, especially since my hardware is like 10 years old :lol:
Recent kernels are patched for security vulnerabilities and possibly other bugs. That's the main reason not to use old kernels. I run a 12 YO Core2Duo system on Debian unstable which currently has 5.9 kernel. Runs nicely.
IIRC Liquorix repos are set up by default in AVL-MXE so it's really easy to try that. Don't install the kernel metapackage though if you use nvidia driver. It will upgrade kernels automatically when you run system upgrade so it's possible it will install one too new for nvidia.
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

sunrat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:24 am Recent kernels are patched for security vulnerabilities and possibly other bugs. That's the main reason not to use old kernels. I run a 12 YO Core2Duo system on Debian unstable which currently has 5.9 kernel. Runs nicely.
I get that, though I'm not too worried about kernel exploits on my dedicated DAW system. I mean, all things being equal, I would run a new kernel; but not all things are equal here.

IIRC Liquorix repos are set up by default in AVL-MXE so it's really easy to try that. Don't install the kernel metapackage though if you use nvidia driver. It will upgrade kernels automatically when you run system upgrade so it's possible it will install one too new for nvidia.
I tried liquorix at first but got the same errors trying to install Nvidia. Ultimately had success running the 5.4.28avl2-lowlatency driver from the repos. Granted I didn't do an exhaustive test of every available kernel in the repos, but once it got working with minimal XRUNs, I was content.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

lykwydchykyn wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:52 pmI tried liquorix at first but got the same errors trying to install Nvidia. Ultimately had success running the 5.4.28avl2-lowlatency driver from the repos.
I'm guessing you installed a Liquorix version too new for the available nvidia drivers. It regularly takes weeks for a compatible nvidia driver to be released for the latest kernel versions. 5.4 kernel (except for an RT one) now would most likely have no problem to build nvidia modules.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Today I received the USB flash drive containing the AVL-MXE-2020.12.03-xfce4-amd64.iso.
My computer doesn't have a DVD drive.

So, is there a possibility to boot that .iso e.g. from USB flash drive?
If so, how?

Thanks...
christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

TAERSH wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:11 pm Today I received the USB flash drive containing the AVL-MXE-2020.12.03-xfce4-amd64.iso.
My computer doesn't have a DVD drive.

So, is there a possibility to boot that .iso e.g. from USB flash drive?
If so, how?

Thanks...
If it's just the ISO, copy it to your disk first then there are several ways of making a bootable usb

If you don't wanna download anything there is alwys DD:
https://ostechnix.com/how-to-create-boo ... d-command/

If not there are tools like Rufus / unetbootin etc that make live USB's. Some distros come with them preinstalled.

When the USB is made:
Enter BIOS and usually on most motherboards there is a "boot options" thingy in one of the very first menus - set USB as first boot.
Amp: Echolette M40 / NG51S Tape Echo
Strings: Martin D15M, Yamaha FG-180, Alhambra 5P, Yamaha Revstar
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Thanks!

The dd command worked well. Booted successfully into AV Linux live from USB flash drive.
MrPT
Established Member

Post by MrPT »

Hi

I'm a bit curious about this release, so I tried it by booting the ISO. I noticed a couple of things at once.
Let me just point out that I did not install it, I only ran it live from the ISO, in case that makes a difference.
I made the regular jack settings and started up Ardour and Hydrogen. I noticed that they are not correctly synced. The difference in time is affected by the buffer size used. It looks to me as it the programs are not using the data from jack in the same way. Probably a bug in one of them, which one I can not tell. I have not seen this problem before in any of the various distributions/setups I have tried. But those have different versions of both programs.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Is it possible to boot AV Linux MX Edition straight into the graphical desktop, being root?
If so, how would I do this?

Thanks.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

MrPT wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:09 pm Hi

I'm a bit curious about this release, so I tried it by booting the ISO. I noticed a couple of things at once.
Let me just point out that I did not install it, I only ran it live from the ISO, in case that makes a difference.
I made the regular jack settings and started up Ardour and Hydrogen. I noticed that they are not correctly synced. The difference in time is affected by the buffer size used. It looks to me as it the programs are not using the data from jack in the same way. Probably a bug in one of them, which one I can not tell. I have not seen this problem before in any of the various distributions/setups I have tried. But those have different versions of both programs.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hi

Hmmm to be honest I'm not sure.. That is something I have not specifically tested, if you make Ardour the 'JACK' time master or vice versa does this change anything? JACK is simply the Debian packaging and Ardour is the official bundlefrom ardour.org so there is no customization of Ardour or JACK specific to AVL-MXE.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

TAERSH wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 am Is it possible to boot AV Linux MX Edition straight into the graphical desktop, being root?
If so, how would I do this?

Thanks.
Hi

Do you mean when running off the USB Key? If so if you want to be Root in a Live session on the USB key the password for Root is 'root'. The Live system is set up for a user 'demo' I don't know if the MX Live tools allow login as Root..
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I've installed AVL-MXE to my computer and find that the audio performance is unexpectedly very poor. Specifically, if I play Pianoteq, the DSP load is very high, reaching 100% with many x-runs if I play a fast passage. This is with a NI Komplete Audio 6 at 48Khz, 256 frames, 2 periods. With AVL-2020 (previous AVL version) on the same hardware, same settings, Pianoteq never goes above 30% DSP, and has only a few x-runs. My system is set up for dual-boot between AVL versions so I can quickly compare. I get the same results with both the RT and lowlatency kernels.

I notice this message from QJackCtl messages when jack is started:
Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/99)(1: Operation not permitted)
AcquireSelfRealTime error
This is from selecting the "Realtime" option in QJackCtl settings. However, both AVL-MXE and AVL-2020 get this error, so that is not the difference. But I wonder if some configuration is wrong which causes this error. Any other ideas why I get high DSP with AVL-MXE? Thanks
MrPT
Established Member

Post by MrPT »

GMaq wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:29 pm
MrPT wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:09 pm Hi

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hi

Hmmm to be honest I'm not sure.. That is something I have not specifically tested, if you make Ardour the 'JACK' time master or vice versa does this change anything? JACK is simply the Debian packaging and Ardour is the official bundlefrom ardour.org so there is no customization of Ardour or JACK specific to AVL-MXE.
OK, I took another look and it turns out this is not new at all. When you use very low buffer settings you might not notice it every time. But the truth is that no two applications will sync right with Jack transport. Unless of course you can tweak offsets in each one. It seems that every app is using the jack sync data differently.