AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

varpa
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Post by varpa »

So, no one is interested in my Pianoteq problem.... Well, I have found the problem is the kernel. Pianoteq works fine with 5.4.28avl2-lowlatency which is also what I have on my previous AVL2020 installation. 5.6.17-rt10avl1, 5.9.1avl1-lowlatency, 5.9.1-rt20avl1 all have very high DSP with Pianoteq making nearly unplayable. What is different about these newer kernels that does not agree with Pianoteq? Pianoteq has its own "performance index" which on my system is about 95, independent of the kernel, so that gives no clues.

Also need to track down the jack RT error - does anyone else see that?
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

@varpa
It's only a few days before Christmas. So, there's probably some other stuff more urgent and mean to do. Be patient, I'm sure help is on the way as usual. :wink:

@GMaq
Do you mean when running off the USB Key?
Yes, this would be great. But even on installed version will satisfy me.

It seems that the complete OS is placed into the file: linuxfs at 3644 MB.

What kind of file is this?
Could this be extracted, so that I can work on the files inside and rebuild it?
If so, how to repack it?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

@varpa

Sorry I had missed your post and was AFK due to work most of last week..

That is interesting but not great news about pianoteq, that should definitely be brought to their attention since it doesn't affect any other plugins that I have encountered.. As I've said elsewhere the default Kernel in AVL is always a simply a best-guess starting point to attempt to bring the best hardware support and fastest potential performance to the User.. Of course there is no such thing as a 'one-size-fits-all' kernel especially with the variations in hardware and software in use by the User. This is why we keep older Kernel versions and offer outside alternatives like Liquorix.. I have a very busy workweek before Christmas and Ontario is in full lockdown again as of Christmas Eve so I'm juggling a lot this week but will look into that JACK error..

To be honest as Ardour and Mixbus seem to be backing away from JACK as a preferred Audio backend I have to say more and more in my own production work I'm using the ALSA backend for Ardour and MB so I don't use JACK on the daily but I will look into it when I get a few minutes..

@TAERSH

If you install AVL-MXE (even Virtually in VMWare.. I don't recommend Virtualbox) you can uninstall/install anything you like and use MX-Snapshot to create your own customized ISO, no need to be poking around in linuxfs or squashed filesystems. AVL-MXE contains the docs for MX Linux which will explain how to create a Snapshot. *PLEASE NOTE.. If you create your own Customized Respin of AVL and plan to publicly share and distribute it to other people you have to uninstall all of the software demos, they are not allowed to be redistributed without permissions of their vendors (I don't think you want this anyway). And secondly you have to change the name of your Respin to something clearly different so it is not confused with AVL-MXE.. If you just make a Snapshot for your own use then this is not required..
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

@GMaq
Thanks.

No, I don't plan to publish a modified version anyway. Just curious to do some work.
Meanwhile I found out, it's a .zip file (at least ZIP was used to unpack/extract). So, already extracted to have a look into it.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

sunrat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:07 am
lykwydchykyn wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:57 amIs it possible to install Nvidia on this kernel or do I need a different one?
The default realtime kernel doesn't support building nvidia driver modules. Liquorix kernel is a good low-latency alternative for which nvidia should build fine as long as the driver version is compatible ie. the very latest kernel may need a newer version of nvidia than your distro repos. I run Debian Buster with a Liquorix 5.8 kernel currently with Nvidia 450.x.x from Debian backports. I've heard the 5.9 Liquorix is now supported too, but I don't bother updating every kernel version as it usually makes no difference to performance in the short term anyway.
Ubuntu Studio uses the nvidia driver by default, so it's easy to have an extra setup
for things that benefit from the driver, and the extra system won't have a huge learning curve.
And is a backup plan should a blunder occur. I've got the T-shirt, and it wasn't from NAMM :wink:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:36 am Hi LM's!

Just posting the premiere release of AV Linux MX Edition!

http://www.bandshed.net/2020/11/25/av-l ... n-is-here/
I've been using this often, and happily. When a next release is anticipated,
it would be nice to use a login manager that has the widgets to select
among the installed system gui's. It took a bit of tinkering under the hood to get
Enlightenment as the system gui, instead of selecting from a login menu with options
to change defaults whenever desired.

Another mention, Audacity and it's gtk sundries have messed up the l/r scrolling widgets
below the waveform.. < and > They work properly in older Audacity 2.1. but not in most modern distros.
Audacity team knows, but might not care :( Precise and frequent editing really needs these to work.
I boot up a 'bionic' era Puppy linux whenever I have an editing session in store. I realize it's
not your mess to clean up, but if an easy solution exists, I'd love to try it!

Thanks for your hard work on this release, it's really better than the adverts and labels say!
Merry Christmas, and a happy/blessed 2021 to you and your family!
Cheers
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks very much G Guy!

All the best to you and yours as well!
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I figured out that my problem with x-runs with 5.9.1-rt20avl1 is because I was trying to run Jack with too high realtime priority. Realtime priority is turned on with the "Realtime" check box on the "Parameters" tab, and the Realtime priority is set by the "Priority" box in then "Advanced" tab.

The problem was I had set the Realtime priority to 99 in QJackCtl, but my my account is only allowed up to 90. Hence this priority was rejected so I was running Jack without realtime priority, and many x-runs ensued.

Realtime priority limit is set in
/etc/security/limits.conf
in line:
@audio - rtprio 90 # maximum realtime priority

Also can be shown by
$ ulimit -r -l
real-time priority (-r) 90
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) unlimited

If I had looked at the AVL-MXE manual, page 40, I would seen "default" was the suggested value for "Priority" and with that I would not have had a problem. But I have been copying my configuration through many AVL versions so thats why I had set priority = 99.

I also tried out several different kernels in the course of debugging this problem. Curiously, I find that 5.4.28avl2-lowlatency (which I used in the previous AVL release), and 5.9.0-15.1-liquorix-amd64 do not have as many problems running without realtime priority which is why I had not noticed this problem before. 5.9.1-rt20avl1 and 5.9.1avl1-lowlatency, do have much worse performance without realtime priority. However, with it they work quite well, RT slightly better than lowlatency, and about as same as 5.4.28avl2-lowlatency and 5.9.0-15.1-liquorix-amd64 (comparing DSP and xruns). The differences are evident only when you run at very low latency. In my case, with Pianoteq 48kHz, 64 frames, 2 periods can work with any of the kernels with few or no x-runs, whereas 32 frames hits a DSP wall and has a lot of x-runs. I actually usually run at 256 frames and trade off a bit of latency for lower DSP (since I sometime run synths in parallel to Pianoteq, so I can use the DSP).

Anyway, thanks GMaq for another superb AVL release, and Merry Christmas to all.
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

Truly dissapointed to see the MX-installer not support LVM :(
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Hi.

Atm. I'm running AV Linux MX Edition for the first time installed to a 500GB USB hard drive. Installed Qtractor 0.9.20 and trying to create a default template to use at startup. I'm also online for the first time with AV Linux MX Edition after copying over a wvdial config file from another OS.

I tried to setup Qtractor/Carla for the use of Windows VST plugins, but in Carla when scanning for Windows VST plugins wine crashes on each plugin.

What do I need to do to have this properly working?
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Have you followed the steps in the AVL-MXE manual for "Running Windows Audio Software", page 52? Manual available here: http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

What glibc version comes with AVLMX? I´ve tried some commands but I had no success in finding out. I am trying to get Gsi Easy convolver to work on Ardour, unfortunately it´s not recognized, the only reason I can think of is because it requires glibc 2.29.

Thanks a bunch

ROdney
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

varpa wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:01 pm Have you followed the steps in the AVL-MXE manual for "Running Windows Audio Software", page 52? Manual available here: http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
Thanks.

I will check this.
bassguy
Established Member

Post by bassguy »

hi, absolute newbie here. I've installed AVL MXE and all seems good. CPU is weird, though. One of the cores is permanently over 80%, another over 50% and the others at 3-8%. Normal or an issue?

Thanks a lot!!
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Its not normal to use a large amount of CPU permanently. Run the "top" command in a terminal to see what programs are using so much cpu (exit top by typing "q").