AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Post by GMaq »

Hi LM's!

Just posting the premiere release of AV Linux MX Edition!

http://www.bandshed.net/2020/11/25/av-l ... n-is-here/
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Post by buonamorte.records »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

Nice! Now I just need an AMD gpu. (pesky nvidia open source drivers) :P

On a more serious note, will definitely be trying this out when I have time!
Amp: Echolette M40 / NG51S Tape Echo
Strings: Martin D15M, Yamaha FG-180, Alhambra 5P, Yamaha Revstar
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

What is the appropriate donation amount? If this is used in production use. At your own risk, of course, but bread is not free even if the grain grows freely.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@GMaq
Great in depth review! :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Just did a quick live boot test with it. Impressive! Boots and runs smoothly on my system with Nvidia GTX970 and 4K monitor. A little surprised at that. Used MX Tweak to scale the display to 1.5X, nice. I like the new theme much better than the RC version although the wallpaper reminds me slightly of Looney Tunes cartoons. :mrgreen: , not a bad thing though.
I didn't do any production on it, just played an audio file with MPV. Another surprise was it automatically set default card as my M-Audio 2496 which usually takes special config in most distros. Conky showed my ethernet connection correctly although CPU still needs to be tweaked to show all 4 cores. Still not a fan of docks and I wish it had popups to show what all the icons are but I guess that could be learned or just change to a panel as mentioned in the notes.
Overall, really nice work, Glen! 8)
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

may I ask what is the rationale on keeping qjackctl stuck on v0.5.0 (almost 3yo) and qtractor on v0.9.5 (almost 2yo) ???
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

rncbc wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:40 pm may I ask what is the rationale on keeping qjackctl stuck on v0.5.0 (almost 3yo) and qtractor on v0.9.5 (almost 2yo) ???
Hi Rui!

There is no rationale, your excellent Q-Stuff is provided by the KXStudio repositories and I do not custom package it or do version checks of it. Years ago I used to custom package all of your stuff but between myself, Debian and KXStudio there was far too much packaging duplication so I stepped out of the way and left it to falkTX. To be honest I wasn't aware that the Q-things had gotten that out of date.. :( :oops:

I guess I need to take a closer look at that for next time, there was certainly no intention to leave anything behind. Even though I am not a Qtractor user I have the utmost respect for your work.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Harrison Mixbus 6.2.26 DAW (demo version) with new VST3 support!
Harrison AVA Plugin Demos *may not work with all openGL setups.
Reaper (demo version) makes it’s native Linux debut on AVL-MXE!
Demo Audio plugin versions (including VST3 versions!)
Demos: ACM, Audio Assault, Auburn Sounds, Cut Through, OverTone
Why has it that much Demo programs included?
Are there any plans to publish a version without all that heavy load of demo programs?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:28 pm
rncbc wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:40 pm may I ask what is the rationale on keeping qjackctl stuck on v0.5.0 (almost 3yo) and qtractor on v0.9.5 (almost 2yo) ???
Hi Rui!

There is no rationale, your excellent Q-Stuff is provided by the KXStudio repositories and I do not custom package it or do version checks of it. Years ago I used to custom package all of your stuff but between myself, Debian and KXStudio there was far too much packaging duplication so I stepped out of the way and left it to falkTX. To be honest I wasn't aware that the Q-things had gotten that out of date.. :( :oops:

I guess I need to take a closer look at that for next time, there was certainly no intention to leave anything behind. Even though I am not a Qtractor user I have the utmost respect for your work.
to let you know, even kxstudio is lagging behind by a lot these days.

don't take it for granted, the kxstudio team is only dealing their own stuff and only, carla, cadence, mod-stuff and related plugins, whatever...

onto my side to help, there's this instead: https://launchpad.net/~rncbc
i believe ppa:rncbc/bionic is the one recommended here (for distros based on debian buster at least)
cheers
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

rncbc wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:47 pm
GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:28 pm
Hi Rui!

to let you know, even kxstudio is lagging behind by a lot these days.

don't take it for granted, the kxstudio team is only dealing their own stuff and only, carla, cadence, mod-stuff and related plugins, whatever...

onto my side to help, there's this instead: https://launchpad.net/~rncbc
i believe ppa:rncbc/bionic is the one recommended here (for distros based on debian buster at least)
cheers
Thanks, I very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:36 pm
Harrison Mixbus 6.2.26 DAW (demo version) with new VST3 support!
Harrison AVA Plugin Demos *may not work with all openGL setups.
Reaper (demo version) makes it’s native Linux debut on AVL-MXE!
Demo Audio plugin versions (including VST3 versions!)
Demos: ACM, Audio Assault, Auburn Sounds, Cut Through, OverTone
Why has it that much Demo programs included?
Are there any plans to publish a version without all that heavy load of demo programs?
Hi,

One of the unique things about AV Linux has always been it's inclusion of both excellent FLOSS software as well as demos of Commercial stuff. My belief is there is only freedom of choice when all the choices are made available.. I understand that some users may prefer a system without any demos, I also respect that freedom of choice which is why the 'Misc' Tab of the AVL-MXE Assistant has a button to remove all Demoware with one click..
demoremove.png
demoremove.png (45.68 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sjzstudio wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:53 pm What is the appropriate donation amount? If this is used in production use. At your own risk, of course, but bread is not free even if the grain grows freely.
Hi,

I like that analogy "but bread is not free even if the grain grows freely"

I really don't like to make suggestions of what people should donate.. everybody has very different situations especially in these troubled times.. Sadly if most people donated a dollar or two per download I could make AVL my full time occupation but it would not be an exaggeration to say that probably less than 1 in 1000 people donate. I have a few great folks who donate per release and a few have started their own subscriptions for a few dollars per month which is also very much appreciated. I can truly say than any amount is very much appreciated. I myself also donate and support upstream projects that help AV Linux as well as pay out of pocket for the custom AV Linux kernels so I'm not preaching that I should only receive and not give... Without reciprocity we are lost!
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I also respect that freedom of choice which is why the 'Misc' Tab of the AVL-MXE Assistant has a button to remove all Demoware with one click.
Yes, but your freedom of choice bends my freedom, as I do have to download hundreds of MB (or even more than 1GB) of Software that I don't want to use, don't want to have installed and don't want to download. I personally would find it a much better idea to provide a combined package to the ISO, which could install all those Demos for users who want to try them or even buy them after trying.

I really would like to give that OS a go, but I don't want to waste my bandwidth for software not wanted / needed.

However, thanks for the info anyway.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:47 pm
I also respect that freedom of choice which is why the 'Misc' Tab of the AVL-MXE Assistant has a button to remove all Demoware with one click.
Yes, but your freedom of choice bends my freedom, as I do have to download hundreds of MB (or even more than 1GB) of Software that I don't want to use, don't want to have installed and don't want to download. I personally would find it a much better idea to provide a combined package to the ISO, which could install all those Demos for users who want to try them or even buy them after trying.

I really would like to give that OS a go, but I don't want to waste my bandwidth for software not wanted / needed.

However, thanks for the info anyway.
Fair enough..

I think I have taken steps here to accommodate and be respectful of widely varying viewpoints and opinions and provided the best compromise solution that I'm capable of. I have poured more hours into this in the past month than I have put into anything else (including sleep). Making extra specialty versions for this and that edge case is not an option for me, the 32bit release was completely unplanned until 10 days ago. I'm giving it all I've got!