AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Post by GMaq »

lykwydchykyn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:15 am
GMaq wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:09 pm

Yes 32bit ISO demo/demo, it's not Auto Login, that info should be on the website...?
Yeah, that was on the website, it just didn't work on the laptop I was using for some strange reason. OR it did, and for some reason the desktop session failed to launch.

I tried it on a different laptop and it worked. Weird.
Hmmm,

Was one laptop UEFI and one not? I'm not 100% sure how bootable we can expect the 32bit ISO to be on newer UEFI stuff. It boots on 2 laptops here, one with an early implementation of UEFI and the other with legacy boot but it doesn't boot on my 1 year old Threadripper Desktop but the 64bit version does.. I think it will definitely be a bit more finicky than 64bit..

Once I get the fixed 64bit ISO up I will re-examine the 32bit one and make sure I didn't miss anything obvious..
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

GMaq wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:25 am Was one laptop UEFI and one not? I'm not 100% sure how bootable we can expect the 32bit ISO is on newer UEFI stuff. It boots on 2 laptops here, one with an early implementation of UEFI and the other with legacy boot but it doesn't boot on my 1 year old Threadripper Desktop but the 64bit version does.. I think it will definitely be a bit more finicky than 64bit..

Once I get the fixed 64bit ISO up I will re-examine the 32bit one and make sure I didn't miss anything obvious..
They're both old Core2Duo laptops; but the one that failed is pretty weird. It's a sony model that was only sold in Japan and has a Japanese keyboard (someone gave it to me for free). The one that worked was an ancient Dell Latitude D620 I had laying around. I'm guessing some edge case in that machine was messing something up in the session.

I didn't realize the openbox was 32 bit, but I've not been super-attentive to details lately. Winter is turning my mind to jelly. I'll definitely want the 64 bit version for my DAW.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

lykwydchykyn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:30 am but I've not been super-attentive to details lately. Winter is turning my mind to jelly.
Haha,

Well I can certainly relate to that... not sure where you're at in the Northern Hemisphere but the great news here is only 4 more months of Pandemic winter to go... :(
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

lykmycchykyn wrote: I did download the openbox version and was able to boot a USB, but I couldn't login. Is it still demo/demo? SLiM says it can't execute the login command.
I tried AV Linux years ago and I had trouble logging in on a laptop. It was because AVL booted with NumLock on. A laptop doesn't have a number pad so some of the alphabet keys became numbers. In 'demo' the letter 'o' and maybe 'm' would be a number with NumLock on. It might be that.
fraslo
Established Member

Post by fraslo »

merlyn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm I tried AV Linux years ago and I had trouble logging in on a laptop. It was because AVL booted with NumLock on. A laptop doesn't have a number pad so some of the alphabet keys became numbers. In 'demo' the letter 'o' and maybe 'm' would be a number with NumLock on. It might be that.
I can confirm this behaviour using the actual AVL MX release.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:15 pm Please, don't get me wrong.
I'm NOT degrading your work nor anything you'd done before that!
Though, it's still a pity that I could not give it a go.

Perhaps you'll need to know that I'm on a prepaid internet connection via USB flash modem. I need that as I'm working on different computers on different locations. I don't have much money, so I can't spent money to have stationed internet access separately on all this locations. I'm paying 15.00 Euro per 30 days and that gives me 6GB of high speed bandwidth. So, I'm forced to do useful things with that limited bandwidth.
Hi Taersh,

just stumbled on your post. You might send me your contact via pn. I would be happy to make a copy for you available.
I am as well based in Germany would send you an usb stick :D
Let me know if you would like to get 64bit or 32 bit version.

Take care
Thomas
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Octagon wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:43 pm
TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:15 pm Please, don't get me wrong.
I'm NOT degrading your work nor anything you'd done before that!
Though, it's still a pity that I could not give it a go.

Perhaps you'll need to know that I'm on a prepaid internet connection via USB flash modem. I need that as I'm working on different computers on different locations. I don't have much money, so I can't spent money to have stationed internet access separately on all this locations. I'm paying 15.00 Euro per 30 days and that gives me 6GB of high speed bandwidth. So, I'm forced to do useful things with that limited bandwidth.
Hi Taersh,

just stumbled on your post. You might send me your contact via pn. I would be happy to make a copy for you available.

Take care
Thomas
Wow, that is VERY kind of you!

As a side note if you make the USB key with MX's Live USB Maker it will be fully persistent with it's own storage folder in /home/demo/ so quite usable without even needing to install..
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I checked out the Live image yesterday and like the design a lot :D . I'm totally confused with Wine and don't even have the slightest clue at the moment how to use it and also if I want to use it. :lol: Could this be deinstalled easily?

I also asked myself why Cadence is not used, but Qjackctl?

I was using KXStudio repos with Debian in the past and my experiences in forums have been quite bad after mentioning the KX repos. People just don't understand what it is (and they are not interested to get more info about it) and you usually here that you have a Frankenstein Debian that will soon crash.

So I wonder if the the MXLinux guys are more open to "foreign" repositories like KXstudio.
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

Hi @lilith ,
I think we all use kxrepo...in AV they are already there, and you can directly install cadence if you want (sudo apt install cadence).
I don't use wine, so I can't answer...
Bye!
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Octagon wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:43 pmHi Taersh,

Take care
Thomas
Yes,
Wow, that is VERY kind of you!
I found your PM on the other forum and will reply over there.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

lilith wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:38 pm I checked out the Live image yesterday and like the design a lot :D . I'm totally confused with Wine and don't even have the slightest clue at the moment how to use it and also if I want to use it. :lol: Could this be deinstalled easily?

I also asked myself why Cadence is not used, but Qjackctl?

I was using KXStudio repos with Debian in the past and my experiences in forums have been quite bad after mentioning the KX repos. People just don't understand what it is (and they are not interested to get more info about it) and you usually here that you have a Frankenstein Debian that will soon crash.

So I wonder if the the MXLinux guys are more open to "foreign" repositories like KXstudio.
Hi lilith!

KXStudio repos just provide plugins (and falkTX's own projects) now and do a good job of that, they have always played nice with Debian in my experience..

As far as the wine stuff, it is all ready to try so why not?, even some example WInVST plugins preinstalled to show how it works... Read the User Manual Windows software section for for clarification.. The biggest hurdle is to run 'Configure Wine-staging' from the AVL Assistant before running a Plugin scan in your DAW.. when it asks to install gecko and mono simply cancel those installations they have nothing to do with running plugins, other than that no other changes need to be made to Wine Staging..

Why use Cadence?...lol.. Qjackctl is all set up with pajackconnect to seamlessly integrate PulseAudio.. if you don't like that install Cadence!
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Hi Taersh,

the stick is on it's way. Enjoy and let us all know the result of your testing.

Take care
Thomas
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, GMaq, some good news, I read on Reaper linux forum that someone was running a popular
i-lok encumbered plugin using wine 5.22, as found in your fresh AVLinux, of which I've been
kicking the tires, lately. So I had to give it a try, and the whole process worked!

After buying a product (I already had Hybrid 3 synth) and making an i-lok account,
running the ilok-manager installer does a few steps

1. installs BonJour (Apple's networking spaghetti)
2. installs pace (copy protection soldiers)
3. confirms success

next, run your product's installer. It likely will request you let it 'repair'
your BonJour install, which it does without drama (been that way for years :roll: )
During the vst scan of your daw, Reaper in my case, you'll be promted
to activate your product, so you'll paste your serial number, and be directed
to your i-lok account,where you login, and confirm the computer that will be
running your i-lok product. After a good-luck-Charlie reboot, Avlinux is running
AIR software's Hybrid 3 synth. The other Reaper user was running xpand!2,
a very nice bread&butter rompler.

BreathDeeeeeppppppp.jpg
BreathDeeeeeppppppp.jpg (94.25 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

HybridInDaHaus.jpg
HybridInDaHaus.jpg (248.8 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

Also, I must say that AVLinux in general is very well crafted for the amount
of content provided, and performs admirably. 8)
Cheers
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@glowrak guy,

That's good news indeed and high praise coming from you who knows more about getting Wine apps running in Linux than I ever will! Thanks for the report and kind words!
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

I installed the new version tonight, but I can't seem to get the Nvidia driver installed.

During DKMS compilation, it gives me an error that my kernel source isn't right, and I need to run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' to fix it.

I tried this and the first command fails with "can't find file Kconfig". Is it possible to install Nvidia on this kernel or do I need a different one?