AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

bassguy
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Post by bassguy »

varpa wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:17 pm Its not normal to use a large amount of CPU permanently. Run the "top" command in a terminal to see what programs are using so much cpu (exit top by typing "q").
HI, thanks for the response. To be clear the average CPU consumption sits around 17%, it's just that one of the cores is using around 80%, another at 50% and the rest at almost 0.

I ran the top command and I get these:

<pre><b> 99 root -51 0 0 0 0 R 77.7 0.0 72:13.23 irq/9-acpi </b>
<b>24919 root 20 0 0 0 0 R 54.8 0.0 10:12.26 kworker/0:2+kacpid </b></pre>

Those two processes seem to be the culprits.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

These seem to be related to "acpi" = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. I tend to think these processes should not use so much CPU, but I don't know what you can do about it.
tomisheep

Post by tomisheep »

Thank you for this great news! I was waiting for a system like that to start my Linux adventure...Coming from Mac pro and Pro Tools HD. Had enough.
Can you advise me on what configuration of the computer should I buy to make sure everything is compatible for professional music production?
Preferably a powerful laptop. There are a few European-made ¨Linux laptops¨ are available here in Spain like Tuxedo or Clevo with lots of options. Intel, AMD, Nvidia,etc. I tried to find some info here about computer setup suggestions with no success...
I would like to buy the Mixbuss 32C and the Reaper full versions with a plug-in bundle from Plugin Alliance and a newer RME ad/da converter.
Not sure about thunderbolt either...
I work on big projects with 50+ tracks with heavy plug-ins on each channel. Live recording of drums and some full bands too.
Thank you for your time. I promise I will donate properly when I'm ready to download your system. All the best! T.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

FYI, I don't speak for AV Linux, I'm just a user. Concerning building a audio workstation see the Your Studio & Gear section of the forum. I think your enthusiasm is great, but you may have to make some adjustments to move to linux audio from Mac. You need to be very aware of compatibility of audio hardware. Mainly what works is USB2 class compliant audio devices and some firewire and PCI devices. Thunderbolt does not work. I would not recommend Plugin Alliance because these will be Windows plugins that may or may not work in Linux using Wine. There are a lot of free and commercial plugins available in Linux, though only a fraction of what is found on Mac/Windows. Some types of plugins, say something like Melodyne, do not have a linux equivalent. With AVLinux you can make a bootable USB drive which can be used to test compatibility with computer hardware.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

tomisheep wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:03 amPreferably a powerful laptop. There are a few European-made ¨Linux laptops¨ are available here in Spain like Tuxedo or Clevo with lots of options. Intel, AMD, Nvidia,etc. I tried to find some info here about computer setup suggestions with no success...
Preferably get a powerful desktop. Laptops are comparatively limited for choice of components and relatively more expensive. And heat can be a major problem if you're working it hard. The built-in graphics on either Intel or AMD processors can be more than enough. Avoid dual graphics especially Nvidia Optimus, it's an extra layer of pain you don't need for audio.
I would like to buy the Mixbuss 32C and the Reaper full versions with a plug-in bundle from Plugin Alliance and a newer RME ad/da converter.
I have both, never use Reaper and love Mixbus 32C. Standard Mixbus was on special for 19 bucks or so last week, search the forum for a topic about it. Some people love Reaper so YMMV.
Not sure about thunderbolt either...
If you have a thunderbolt device you can get a PCIe adapter card. Otherwise go with USB. If price is no object I would recommend one of the excellent RME PCIe cards plus rack/s of mic pres in preference to USB.
I work on big projects with 50+ tracks with heavy plug-ins on each channel. Live recording of drums and some full bands too.
Again, if you intend to work it that hard, get a desktop. If you are doing location recording a fairly modest laptop may be OK for just live tracks but would struggle with heavy mixdown. Also you will hate Mixbus 32C on a small laptop screen. It requires at least 1200px vertical; I actually use a 43" 4K TV at home and it's great although maybe overkill. I'd probably be OK with a 32" 4K monitor.
I've recorded 12 tracks live on a crappy old Intel Core i3-3250 but more than 12 was not reliable. I take my desktop with i5-6500 to gigs and record using a Digico UB-MADI up to 30 tracks without it breaking a sweat. Good machine for mixdown with Mixbus 32C too.

Here's a thread from @merlyn building a new workstation based on Ryzen 3900x. Yet to hear how it's working.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22798
One thing to be aware of is Linux is usually a little behind with support for latest hardware so you need to be aware of which distros and which kernels have that support already. For instance Debian Buster is way behind now as it was released 2 years ago, whereas Bullseye which is still in Testing stage is more current. AVL-MXE has good support for recent hardware so you're on the right track there.
tomisheep

Post by tomisheep »

Thank you Varpa and Sunrat!
One of the reasons I would like to have a laptop is that I live in the mountains of Andalusia, Spain (Moorish villages)
and the electricity was installed about 100 years ago :mrgreen: . So it's not too stable voltage and it goes on and off very often.
I know there are solutions for that but also I'm trying to use a solar-powered large caravan as a studio... No noise issues here.
I can have exchangeable batteries on a laptop and charging it whenever I can, without worry. Also can take the laptop in and out easily.
So these components are available here...
17.3 inch Full HD 1920x1080 IPS 144Hz matte (plus 2 external monitors in any size... even USB powered ones)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
Intel Core i7-10870H | 16MB Cache | 2.20~5.00 GHz | 8C/16T | HT | TDP 45W
or Intel Core i9-10900T | 20MB Cache | 1.90~4.60 GHz | 10C/20T | HT / vPro | TDP 35W
64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4 3200MHz Samsung / Kingston HyperX
500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD M.2 | PCIe 3.0 x4 | NVMe | R/W 3500/3200 MB/s
thermal comp. CPU / GPU with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme

I know it's hard to tell what's works and what's not, but I just want to make sure there are no components what is known to be faulty with AVLinux.
I still have my other equipment just in case but I guess slowly but surely Linux will be ready to take its place...
Thanks for your patients and time...
All the best to you all!
T.
You can listen to my instrumental groovy jazz album called "Rhodes Trip by tomisheep"
Or the double Grammy Award-winning album I worked on "Calling all dawns" by Christopher Tin
My youtube channel is Mr.tomisheep with all my works ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=F ... _rznoOMBVw )
Cheers
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

tomisheep wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:44 pm 17.3 inch Full HD 1920x1080 IPS 144Hz matte (plus 2 external monitors in any size... even USB powered ones)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
Intel Core i7-10870H | 16MB Cache | 2.20~5.00 GHz | 8C/16T | HT | TDP 45W
or Intel Core i9-10900T | 20MB Cache | 1.90~4.60 GHz | 10C/20T | HT / vPro | TDP 35W

I know it's hard to tell what's works and what's not, but I just want to make sure there are no components what is known to be faulty with AVLinux.
- Full HD screen has not enough vertical pixels to display 32C mix window all at once. There are toggle buttons to hide EQ, send or plugin sections to make it fit or you can have a vertical scroll slider. 1200px or more vertical screen is best.
- RTX3060 will need proprietary Nvidia drivers which won't work on the AVL-MXE default RT (realtime) kernel. You can use a low-latency kernel instead which may be fine, again YMMV. An inexpensive AMD graphics should work fine with RT kernel, no extra drivers needed.
- Not sure about current support for 10th Gen Intel processors in AVL-MXE.

I watched a couple of your videos. You certainly know your way around a piano. Nice playing! 8)
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:36 am Hi LM's!

Just posting the premiere release of AV Linux MX Edition!

http://www.bandshed.net/2020/11/25/av-l ... n-is-here/
Thanks a lot Greg, you make it so easy to get started and the MX base makes so much sense. We had a shared look during a video meet last Sat and everyone appreaciated the sensible packaging and useful toolbox you've added. Plus Harrison Mixbus, something I'd never figured out trying on my own, it does look fantastic, wasn't aware it was multiplatform as well.

I'm curious about Frugal installations and if compressed file system modules (like in Puppy, Porteus, Slackware etc.) are possible. Will ask around on the MX forum.

If I was to re-spin-trim your base to a slimmer Openboxed one instead, would you recommend simply remastering yours or is there an easier method using your build scripts?
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:08 pm
GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:36 amHi LM's!
Thanks a lot Greg,
Err, it's Glen :wink:
If I was to re-spin-trim your base to a slimmer Openboxed one instead, would you recommend simply remastering yours or is there an easier method using your build scripts?
I'd say you would be a pioneer doing that.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

sunrat wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:32 pm
Fmajor7add9 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:08 pm
GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:36 amHi LM's!
Thanks a lot Greg,
Err, it's Glen :wink:
I'd say you would be a pioneer doing that.
thanks :) my apologies to Glen and any Gregs out there. Re. Openbox I believe there's a 32bit version AVLMX with that as default WM already.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Greg... Glen... I've been called worse lol!

Yeah Openbox is the WM in the 32bit version and I think I will make the next 64bit ISO Openbox as well, as many people point out KDE Plasma (with certain things removed or disabled) is now running in the same RAM neighborhood as XFCE4 4.14+ and I have no intention of moving to KDE but the tubbiness of XFCE4 is a growing concern (pardon the pun). AVL-MXE 32bit boots into it's Desktop at about 280Mb of RAM and I would guess and hope on 64bit we could run around 300-320Mb of RAM..

That said MX Linux isn't really promoting or custom Packaging many 'extra' things for Openbox as they already have an established background in supporting Fluxbox so for AVL-MXE I filled in some of the blanks for the best Openbox experience with my own custom Openbox packaging and theming and I am planning to produce fresh ISO's for April 10th to (a) fix a few minor bugs and mistakes in the initial AVL-MXE release (b) Re-align with my previous established AV Linux release cycle and (c) Move both versions to Openbox so if you can wait a few weeks you can have a fresh XFCE4/Openbox spin that you can mold to your will with the MX Respin tools.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

GMaq wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:50 pm Greg... Glen... I've been called worse lol!

Yeah Openbox is the WM in the 32bit version and I think I will make the next 64bit ISO Openbox as well, as many people point out KDE Plasma (with certain things removed or disabled) is now running in the same RAM neighborhood as XFCE4 4.14+ and I have no intention of moving to KDE but the tubbiness of XFCE4 is a growing concern (pardon the pun). AVL-MXE 32bit boots into it's Desktop at about 280Mb of RAM and I would guess and hope on 64bit we could run around 300-320Mb of RAM..

That said MX Linux isn't really promoting or custom Packaging many 'extra' things for Openbox as they already have an established background in supporting Fluxbox so for AVL-MXE I filled in some of the blanks for the best Openbox experience with my own custom Openbox packaging and theming and I am planning to produce fresh ISO's for April 10th to (a) fix a few minor bugs and mistakes in the initial AVL-MXE release (b) Re-align with my previous established AV Linux release cycle and (c) Move both versions to Openbox so if you can wait a few weeks you can have a fresh XFCE4/Openbox spin that you can mold to your will with the MX Respin tools.
Appreciate the flexible AVL-MXE namespace policy and direct reply straight from the CIO main dev.

And very happy to wait a few weeks for your Openbox spin. Definitely feeling the XFCE tubbiness though the whisker menu pulls up anything nicely so you don't have to hunt through arcane sub-menus for tidbits.

Some of the nicest Openbox configs I've come across:
https://maboxlinux.org/
https://manjaro.org/downloads/community/openbox/
https://www.bunsenlabs.org/
There are a few on the MX spins sub-forums as well as you most likely are aware.

For your next compilation I'd also recommend https://sonobus.net (not in repos yet) and https://jamulus.io/ (in debian backports, Laurent (@eleandar) at https://sourceforge.net/projects/jamulus-os has made some nice scripting for quick server setup).

FWIW my first AVL-MXE slim sweep attempt came out at 3.1GB vs your original 3.56GB. Tossed about 1.5GB* and apt upgrade added 400-something back. Maybe my remaster compression was sloppy.

Until next release I'll have a deeper look into antiX/MX module options as mentioned (Puppy style). If that's not straightforward I'll use something like https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux as a build base instead. Then your AVL-MXE scripts and tools could be added somehow and a RT kernel compiled if needed.

One of my target machines is 4GB RAM forever, the other is a Celeron dual core retro ultrabook. With a sub 1GB frugal install I can boot the same base OS on all of them and then module load in and out any specific software suite when needed, either pre- or post boot. Similar to Flatpaks or snaps or podman containers (I guess, don't know much about them) or portableapps.com on Windows if one zipped them down after each use.
When not needed it's stowed away on the drive, not taking any linuxfs or rootfs space which then allows for RAM boots most of the time, less disk writes, more light speed.

So here's hoping the AVL-MXE tools could be repo'd one day like MX is or KXstudio are repo'ing their MX Tools to any debian (AFAIK) as well. Your groundwork remains my inspiration in any case, thanks.

* :
demo sw removal from AVL-MXE assistant
sudo apt remove libreoff*
After this operation, 320 MB disk space will be freed.
sudo apt remove blende*
After this operation, 180 MB disk space will be freed.
sudo apt remove inkscap*
After this operation, 164 MB disk space will be freed.
sudo apt remove samba
After this operation, 26.0 MB disk space will be freed.
MX clean up, 87MB
bleachbit clean, incl. localizations 855MB
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Wow, that's great news! I was about to install AVL mxe on another computer, now a new one is coming, that's great! thank you so very much for your work as always dear Glen can't wait for it!
GMaq wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:50 pm Greg... Glen... I've been called worse lol!

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@Rodney and others..

Actually things are going to be delayed until the releases of Ardour 6.7 and Mixbux v7. However work is ongoing... Both versions are fully moved to Openbox now and there are some more refinements and updates to the User Manual being worked on in the meantime..
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

No problem at all dear Gmaq, take your time it´s always like opening a christmas box when a new version of AVL is released to me. Love it.

Cheers,

Rodney