AV Linux MX Edition Release Candidate Uploaded!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Release Candidate Uploaded!

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 pm WOW, it looks great :D . AVLMX is a true state of the art OS, can´t wait for it. It will also have a 32 bit version? WOW that´s awesome!I still use Windows XP SP3 to this day, so I think now AVLMX 32bit is a good candidate for replacement maybe? Anyway, great job as always and many thanks, huge thanks! Can´t live without it anymore

Cheers,

Rodney
Thanks Rodney!

About the 32bit version... a few caveats:

It will have limitations... When Google, Spotify, LibreOffice and almost all new Linux Audio plugin developers have abandoned 32bit binaries our choices get less and less. I still have an early 32bit only CoreDuo Dell laptop that I use for mobile stuff and do some light recording on and make use of EnergyXT..(yes, really)... Because of that I have built a custom MX-based 32bit OS and self-compiled a lot of stuff and it is working very well so I may share it.. It will NOT be a constantly maintained and released OS, I don't have time to carry 2 ISOs especially when one of them is for a deprecated CPU architecture that is fading faster than a gated Reverb but in the interest of those few folks who may want to keep older iron working I think I will put up an ISO..
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Looking forward to a 32 bit iso...free or used computers can be
repurposed to workstations, with the right old plugins.
With the advent of linvst, there are forests of fine and now free 32 bit vsts that will run
well in a 32 bit Reaper. Reaper has 32 and 64 bit linux daws, and the windows versions
are fine in wine (and the 64 bit versions are great at bridging 32 bit plugins)

Some of the great sound designers were chin deep
in creating sounds for excellent instruments/effects. Collections from UGO,
MAXSynths, AlgoMusic, H.G. Fortune, FullBucket, Psychic Modulation, Benoit Serrano,
and Krakli, to name a few, have some excellent synths and sounds.

For example, MAXSynths Crysalis and Nero are great for rowdy seqs and leads,
UGO has a brilliant dual-arpeggiator, AlgoMusic's M51 and M42 are deep in
rythmic pads and leads, and Arptron from Psychic Modulation with Fortune's
Drumburst armed with midi-out, are great fun to tear things up. Krakli's RMXL leads off
with a bouncy acoustic pluk lead.
There are also many great singles, Firebird, SQ8L, Oatmeal, Atlantis, older
CM magazine plugins...

www.vst4free.com has rated the plugins, so sticking to the 4 and 5 stars is easy.
Kvr has old-free plugin threads that often turn up new leads.

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php#linux_download
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Not a problem at all for me dear Gmaq, bring it on! 32 bit is great :D, can´t wait to give a try.

Cheers and big thanks as always

Rodney
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@GMaq , Great work. Do you have a git repository or a download location for the tools in your distribution, like folder to sfz / hydrogen scripts, the sox stuff etc. ?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@studio32

Hi, I don't yet.. Those things are kind of baked in to the ISO but I do put up the AVL tools Deb packages on an FTP folder in case people need to reinstall them but they are not focused to be general packages to work on all Debian variants. My time for AVL is extremely sporadic and when I get blocks of time all the focus goes into the ISO's. In between I can't be available on the daily to manage a repo etc..

AV Linux is what I call a 'hybrid appliance'... There is the underlying daily driver Linux Desktop stuff... the 3rd party repo stuff (ie KX Studio) and that stuff all gets updated as it would on any Distro. The 'extra' AVL specialty stuff (demoware, AVL tools, extra plugin packages, themes, custom configs) is baked into the ISO and is intended to be more static in nature more like an "appliance". This may seem odd and unorthodox but it is how I make this work for my time and skills. Long term users of AV Linux are used to it and I really don't get any complaints about it..

The Hydrogen and SFZ scripts are available here: https://github.com/rock-hopper/makeh2kit https://github.com/rock-hopper/makesfz
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@GMaq , fair enough. Thx for the links!