JJazzLab 2.2 and new demo

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

jjazzboss
Established Member

JJazzLab 2.2 and new demo

Post by jjazzboss »

I've just released JJazzLab 2.2.beta which brings a few convenient new features (rhythm preview, new dark theme, transposed playback for sax/trumpet players, print lead sheet, ...).

Also a friend of mine made a great demo on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzclJLpATwc

I got some feedback from Windows & Mac users, but not much from Linux users, so if some of you would like to test it, I'll appreciate your feedback ! :D

Download and release notes: https://www.jjazzlab.com
Source code: https://github.com/jjazzboss/JJazzLab-X
GMaq
Established Member

Re: JJazzLab 2.2 and new demo

Post by GMaq »

Wow!

That is a great demo! I've never used software like this but I've downloaded and hope to take a good in-depth look as soon as my work sched slows down..

How would you feel about having it distributed ready to click and use on an AV Linux ISO? Would there be any licensing restrictions that would prevent this?

Hmmm the size of the SF2 might be difficult to squeeze on an ISO..
Squalala
Established Member

Post by Squalala »

It really is impressing !

I've heard that you were working on a drummer's like algorithm. Is that still true ?

As I'm not a soloist, I don't think I would be helpfull to test Jjazzlab, but as a composer, I would really appreciate the automatic and natural drum playing that I've heard from the really cool demo you just shared.

Thanks for the amazing work !

Bob
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

@GMaq
In general the easier it is for users to access my app, the happier I am :wink: So if AV Linux can help, this sounds interesting.

The issue I have is I don't have expertise to do this. I guess I could manage it technically if I'd take time, but I also have 100's of other things to do to improve JJazzLab (on Win/Linux/Mac), and it's just a hobby project... In other words, I need some operational help for this kind of tasks 8)

I've searched a bit the AV Linux website for the "license restrictions" you mentionned, but I did not find anything, could you elaborate ?

For the 400MB .sf2 it's better if it's bundled, but it's really not mandatory.
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

@Squalala
Thanks for your nice words :D
I've heard that you were working on a drummer's like algorithm. Is that still true ?
This is on the to-do list. I would love to try to replicate some of the Logic Pro Virtual Drummer features, being able, with very few controls, to modulate the drums & bass phrases within a given style. But this is a huge task -again, help is welcome!
I would really appreciate the automatic and natural drum playing that I've heard from the really cool demo you just shared.
The drums playing you've heard (C. Corea's "Spain") is freely available in JJazzLab. It took me maybe 15 minutes to build the whole backing track. JJazzLab reuses style files from Yamaha arranger keyboards, and lets you tweak them for more dynamics/variety. You're right JJazzLab is not a composing tool, but it is used by some as a sketch book to quickly tests ideas, then they export to Midi and finish the work on their DAW.

NOTE: I've discovered today a regression bug in JJazzLab2.2beta which prevents loading the Spain backing track. Bug is fixed and will be in 2.2.beta3 version to be released tonight. 2.1.2a works fine.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

jjazzboss wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:59 am @GMaq
In general the easier it is for users to access my app, the happier I am :wink: So if AV Linux can help, this sounds interesting.

The issue I have is I don't have expertise to do this. I guess I could manage it technically if I'd take time, but I also have 100's of other things to do to improve JJazzLab (on Win/Linux/Mac), and it's just a hobby project... In other words, I need some operational help for this kind of tasks 8)

I've searched a bit the AV Linux website for the "license restrictions" you mentionned, but I did not find anything, could you elaborate ?

For the 400MB .sf2 it's better if it's bundled, but it's really not mandatory.
Hi, thanks for the reply!

You wouldn't need to change anything on your end, if this were to happen I would take the necessary bits and pieces from your site and assemble them into a Debian package that installs to '/opt' on the users system. In AV Linux JJazzLab would just appear in the menu like any other application and launch, as I said I need to try it out for myself and see how much pre-configuration could be done to make everything click and 'just work' as much as possible. I am currently in the middle of moving AV Linux to a whole new base system as well as up to my neck in work offline with my own full-time business right now so this probably won't see any progress for a month or more..

A bootable/installable ISO image can only be up to 4Gb in size and AV Linux is already quite large with the huge amount of Audio Plugins and bundled DAWs (the official Ardour and Harrison Mixbus32C bundles) so 400Mb sound libs are an extravagance I may not be able to afford, but let's see.. :wink:

Lastly Re: Licensing.. This is also an issue on your end, if you are using any proprietary code from others that is forbidden to be redistributed then I can't distribute it in AV Linux, if you are the sole programmer/decider of the code licensing then if you grant me permission to distribute JJazzLab in AV Linux we would be good to go.. I redistribute Harrison Mixbus and a growing list of commercial plugin demos with the Authors permissions so that's all there is to that..

No hurry on my end, but I will be definitely looking into this if you're still interested..

Best and congrats on your great work!
Glen
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

Yes I'm the sole programmer, and I carefully check the licenses of the few external libraries JJazzLab use. So if ever you decide to do it, you have my authorization :D (and don't hesitate to contact me if needed)

Don't bother with the .sf2 file if it's too big, it's really easy to download separately if needed, and you can get better sounds driving VST plugins via snd-virmidi, though it's more complex to setup.
Squalala
Established Member

Post by Squalala »

This is on the to-do list. I would love to try to replicate some of the Logic Pro Virtual Drummer features, being able, with very few controls, to modulate the drums & bass phrases within a given style. But this is a huge task -again, help is welcome!
I have no programming skills, but I would be more than glad to help financially if a patreon or a kickstarter is set to get this thing real ! Drummer is the only proprietary software I miss from Mac os. I know it's a huge task and I'm really sorry I cannot be helpfull with that. Just hearing the fact that a cool dev is thinking about it makes me really happy (even if it doesn't come true).

I've seen Oolinux, from linuxmao trying to get midi samples for a drum pattern library bundled with hydrogen, but I'm not sure it have been realised...

Anyways. Thanks for your good work ! People like you make free/libre music greater everydays, and we can't thank you enough for the gift you give to the world !
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Squalala wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:20 pm Drummer is the only proprietary software I miss from Mac os.
Isn't JazzLab proprietary too?
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

d.healey wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 pm
Squalala wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:20 pm Drummer is the only proprietary software I miss from Mac os.
Isn't JazzLab proprietary too?
LGPL-3
https://github.com/jjazzboss/JJazzLab-X ... er/LICENSE
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

To be accurate: JJazzLab is a distribution of JJazzLab-X (100% open-source) bundled with a proprietary plugin (YamJJazz music generation engine, based on Yamaha style files).
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Is that an end-user program though? I thought it was just part of the overall package.
David Healey
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

d.healey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:14 pm
Is that an end-user program though? I thought it was just part of the overall package.
Yes, you're right viewtopic.php?p=123365#p123365
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

Yes, JJazzLab-X is an end-user program, everything should be fully functional, though it only embeds a "stub" music generation engine which just shows how to use the API.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

jjazzboss wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:16 am
Yes, JJazzLab-X is an end-user program, everything should be fully functional, though it only embeds a "stub" music generation engine which just shows how to use the API.
What does that mean for the end user? What can you do with JazzLab without the music generator?
David Healey