Hydrogen 1.0.0 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

mauser
Established Member

Hydrogen 1.0.0 released

Post by mauser »

Hi everyone,

i'm happy to announce the final release of Hydrogen 1.0.0. After nearly four long years since the release of 0.9.7, a new stable version of Hydrogen is available.

It includes the following major features:

- QT5 support
- MIDI feedback
- OSC support (incl. feedback)
- Playback track
- Menu redesign
- Note probability property
- Velocity automation
- Full screen mode
- New default kit: GMRockKit

You can fetch the sourcecode from Github.
milo
Established Member

Re: Hydrogen 1.0.0 released

Post by milo »

More description of changes here: https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydro ... drogen-1.0

The "Playback Track" looks like a very useful feature. For context, see here: https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/issues/381

The "Probability Note Property" is also intriguing. I assume that is intended as another tool for humanizing the sound.

Thanks for your work on this. Hydrogen is a useful program, and it looks like it just got better!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi mauser!

Congrats on a long-awaited release!! :D Hydrogen is still my go-to when I'm not working with a human drummer.. :wink:
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

It's been a while since I've used Hydrogen. One irritation used to be that it didn't recognise MIDI CC 7 (channel volume). Is that still the case?
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

folderol wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:23 pm It's been a while since I've used Hydrogen. One irritation used to be that it didn't recognise MIDI CC 7 (channel volume). Is that still the case?
IIRC, yes. But Hydrogen has a flexible mapping system where you can create your own midi mappings and automate the usual control interface things (volume, panning, transport control). Nowadays also with midi feedback.
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

milo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:55 pm The "Playback Track" looks like a very useful feature. For context, see here: https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/issues/381
The playback track is my favourite feature of this release. It has been a feature request from a user, and it really makes a lot of sense for Hydrogen. A lot of people are building drum tracks for pre-existing guitar/keyboard/whatever tracks, and especially the non-linux users are happy if they do not have to use jack just for syncing Hydrogen with some other tool that plays a simple wav file..
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Probability note property

Each note has now a probability property (in addition to velocity, lead/lag etc.) which can be manipulated via the note properties editor. The property offers way to define that a note is not played always, but with a certain probability.
This feature allows to assign a probability value to each note. That value specifies probability that particular note will be played. Value 1.0 means that note will be played every time. Lowering that value will lower chances that note will be played, down to 0 which means that note will never be played.

This allows to create more complex and less predictable songs using less patterns.
8-)
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

So glad to see probability in the stable release! I asked for this a while back only to find that it was already in the nightly builds. So I was running those for a while just to have that.

I mostly use it to add ghost notes here and there or drop an off-beat kick occasionally to humanize a beat.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

lykwydchykyn wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:43 pm So glad to see probability in the stable release! I asked for this a while back only to find that it was already in the nightly builds. So I was running those for a while just to have that.

I mostly use it to add ghost notes here and there or drop an off-beat kick occasionally to humanize a beat.
Can you give me an example of how you drop an off-beat kick drum for humanizing a beat?
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

GraysonPeddie wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 pm
lykwydchykyn wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:43 pm So glad to see probability in the stable release! I asked for this a while back only to find that it was already in the nightly builds. So I was running those for a while just to have that.

Can you give me an example of how you drop an off-beat kick drum for humanizing a beat?
Sure, so say you have a beat like this:

Code: Select all

1e&a|2e&a|3e&a|4e&a|
K--- S--K --K- S---
So then I want to mix it up a bit and add another kick in there once in a while:

Code: Select all

1e&a|2e&a|3e&a|4e&a|
K--k S--K --Kk S---
On the small k's, I set the probability at 25-50%. It "humanizes" it by adding in those additional kicks that a drummer just feeling out a groove may or may not add in. Typically when I do this, I also set the velocity very low on those elements, so they're rather subtle.