LinuxMusic.rocks

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

occulkot
Established Member

Re: LinuxMusic.rocks

Post by occulkot »

Thx for info, ill fix this later in the day and check with you guys if you still experience problem.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Hello! Good start!

http://linuxmusic.rocks/developer/linux-studio-plugins

Moving to the next page invalidates the search results by developer.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

occulkot wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 pm There is already list on https://github.com/nodiscc/awesome-linuxaudio, as for mine structure it would be hard to format it as it is RDBS, i have tree structure using nested set so if you go into ie. dynamics you are seeing everything under this category, gate, compressors, limiters etc. also some plugins are nested in bundles or by developers (repro1 and repro5 are sold together).
Thanks for the link, it's good to know but sadly that list is not very detailed and it's not data-driven, it's a big markdown file. I think your project can be more useful.

I'm sure that if you wanted to set up a more collaborative workflow, some of us would help you set up a text-driven workflow (so that SQL queries can be generated from YAML files, for example). Text-driven data entry is essential for a collaborative project, as anyone can use a text editor, even people who can't use git.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

sadko4u wrote: ↑Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:45 pm Hello! Good start!

http://linuxmusic.rocks/developer/linux-studio-plugins

Moving to the next page invalidates the search results by developer.
thx for this, noted on bug list
Basslint wrote: ↑Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:23 pm I'm sure that if you wanted to set up a more collaborative workflow, some of us would help you set up a text-driven workflow (so that SQL queries can be generated from YAML files, for example). Text-driven data entry is essential for a collaborative project, as anyone can use a text editor, even people who can't use git.
Could you point me to any project that do something you described here? Its hard for me to understand what exactly you expect here, im working with web dev/backed on daily basis and never seen anything similar. Only wiki comes to my mind.
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

You just write an import script, which takes text file, e.g. a JSON or YAML file (or a Markdown file with YAML meta data, like in my project I posted a link to) and enters the information from the file into your database.

Then set up a git repo, where users can make Pull/Merge Requests to add new files or update existing ones. Set up a CI or a cronjob on your server, which looks at new/updated input files and runs the import script on them.

If you put the repo on Github, Gitlab, your own Gitea instance or whatever, users can even use the web interface of those to edit the input text files and don't need to mess with Git locally.
occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

SpotlightKid wrote: ↑Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:56 pm You just write an import script, which takes text file, e.g. a JSON or YAML file (or a Markdown file with YAML meta data, like in my project I posted a link to) and enters the information from the file into your database.

Then set up a git repo, where users can make Pull/Merge Requests to add new files or update existing ones. Set up a CI or a cronjob on your server, which looks at new/updated input files and runs the import script on them.

If you put the repo on Github, Gitlab, your own Gitea instance or whatever, users can even use the web interface of those to edit the input text files and don't need to mess with Git locally.
Ok, thanks for explanation, but it should IMO work bi-directional, so after succesfully parsing user updates it should update existing files with current version. It is indeed intresting task because it could be done as a separate library with some translation layer (mapping from file structure to database) but i dont think ill have time to do it.

@sadko4u developer pagination fixed
@turbidh20, @milk, filtering fixed
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Also I believe changing list box to set of check boxes in the filter would be a better option.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Re generating entries, one of the advantages of LV2 is its metadata. There are the plugin classes, the rdfs:comment property as a description of the plugin, info on the in/out ports, etc. See also lv2toweb and lv2rdf2html.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

So quick impressions from a second look;

The filter works now, yay :) My first action is to filter by LV2 ;)

My second instinctual action is to also filter by user rating... Are user accounts something that might be a thing? Use OAuth2 (or OpenID Connect 2 or whatever the "Login with GitLab etc" thing is these days) authentication maybe, i.e. let someone else manage the user registration side?

The entries displayed on the paginated tabular view, 15, is quite low. Even at about 35 the page would be the same length given the menu. Maybe 40 as a default?

I'd also be interested in seeing a tabular view of plugins but grouped by category - cons: a) duplicate display of the same plugin, b) what ontology/vocabulary/taxonomy is being used and how might that relate to the LV2 ontology/vocabulary? d) how does that relate to what system would be most helpful/insightful/etc to users in the best of worlds (given "retrospective blue skies thinking" is impossible at this point, that's a very non-trivial thing to think about but maybe the existing experience of such in LV2 might somehow be insightful). Maybe ask in #lv2 on freenode.

The debate of "hierarchical taxonomy" vs "tags" is possibly something to also consider. Personally I think top-down and bottom-up systems can work together; the top-down system could at times 'graduate' some tags created by users that it happens to currently miss, and tagging systems can also capture more "artistic" descriptions of plugins, providing another approach of navigation.

Changing the filter takes the user from the category they were in and back to All (but with the filter applied).

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

baj
Established Member

Post by baj »

Very nice work! Thanks!
Any chance/plans of open-sourcing it? I'm really into static sites generation lately and this database is perfect to use!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

baj wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:56 pm Very nice work! Thanks!
Any chance/plans of open-sourcing it? I'm really into static sites generation lately and this database is perfect to use!
@Kott and I also started a similar project (static site and YAML based), the files are going to be released under the CC BY-SA and all the code under the AGPLv3+.

We don't like duplicate efforts and we think OP's site is awesome, however I am hesitant to contribute to projects which aren't under the umbrella of a free license, if anything because if the project becomes unmaintained, it's lost forever, while a free license means everyone can pick it up and keep it up-to-date.

It'd also be nice to see this kind of information on Wikipedia.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

baj
Established Member

Post by baj »

Basslint wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 pm We don't like duplicate efforts and we think OP's site is awesome, however I am hesitant to contribute to projects which aren't under the umbrella of a free license, if anything because if the project becomes unmaintained, it's lost forever, while a free license means everyone can pick it up and keep it up-to-date.
100% Agree! Is your project available anywhere? I'm open to take a look / contribute / beta test!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

baj wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:18 pm
Basslint wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 pm We don't like duplicate efforts and we think OP's site is awesome, however I am hesitant to contribute to projects which aren't under the umbrella of a free license, if anything because if the project becomes unmaintained, it's lost forever, while a free license means everyone can pick it up and keep it up-to-date.
100% Agree! Is your project available anywhere? I'm open to take a look / contribute / beta test!
Right now we only have an empty repo at https://github.com/flosstudio . We haven't started to work on it, we'd rather contribute to OP's website if possible. Right now we are trying to come up with a good YAML schema and designing our tools. I saw your work and I think it's great, we'd be glad to have you on our team or just listen to your suggestions (as well as any others') if you want!

baj
Established Member

Post by baj »

Basslint wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:39 pm
baj wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:18 pm
Right now we only have an empty repo at https://github.com/flosstudio . We haven't started to work on it, we'd rather contribute to OP's website if possible. Right now we are trying to come up with a good YAML schema and designing our tools. I saw your work and I think it's great, we'd be glad to have you on our team or just listen to your suggestions (as well as any others') if you want!
Excellent!!! Count me in! I personally think that going with YAML is a good idea. Also Individual Markdown files with YAML frontmatter is really nice combo if entries need formatting/writing goodies. (An indexer could be implemented at build time to crawl all .md metadata and build the 'database')

The good thing is that if OP agrees to implement the "external" static database, he does not need to fully open source his site if he doesn't want to, the joint effort could be concentrated only on the database on your repo, and webs will be only a presentation layer.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

baj wrote: ↑Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:18 pm The good thing is that if OP agrees to implement the "external" static database, he does not need to fully open source his site if he doesn't want to, the joint effort could be concentrated only on the database on your repo, and webs will be only a presentation layer.
Fine, I sent you a PM :D

Let's not hijack OP's thread. Only a thing, on a second thought I think CC0 is a more suitable license for the database entries because CC BY-SA (or even CC-BY, due to the attribution requirement) could mean packagers who copy-and-paste stuff from it might infringe by mistake, and that's unpleasant.