LinuxMusic.rocks

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

occulkot
Established Member

LinuxMusic.rocks

Post by occulkot »

Hello,

I would like to show you mine ongoing project of creating linux music software/plugins database.
Project is still in development, i think i covered most of paid software and big amount of free/open source ones.

Each software have picture of its interface or controls visible in ardour, there is placeholder for description and i hope to add it in near future :), or at least copy one provided by developer, if allowed.

Some software/plugins might be in wrong categories, for example tool category in effects was placeholder for everything i couldnt fit, and maybe at some point i decided to create dedicated category and forgot to move something from there.

I would appreciate any feedback.

http://linuxmusic.rocks
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Re: LinuxMusic.rocks

Post by SpotlightKid »

Very nice, polished site!

How does one suggest plugins to be added?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

THX
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

@SpotlightKid, you can send one with contact form.

As for now i will install plugin myself and take a screenshot, i prefer to do it that way to ensure plugin actualy run. Some of linux lists of plugin contains software that is not maintained anymore or is imposible to download (which for example happened to monique, site was available about a year ago i remember and now it raises 404)
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Really good indeed. Thanks for sharing! Great looking website.
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Ok, I just send you a link to one of my plugins (YK Chorus) via the contact form.

As someone on IRC remarked, only very few entries seem to have a link to the project homepage. WIthout those, the usefulness of the database is a bit questionable.
occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

Yes, thanks for feedback, this is something that is missibg.

I will put url to developer there as for developer url was required.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Very nice idea, although I think it'd be better if the entries were crowdsourced somewhere like on a git repository with a license like the CC-BY or CC-BY-SA in a format like Markdown or even YAML.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Basslint wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:05 pm Very nice idea, although I think it'd be better if the entries were crowdsourced somewhere like on a git repository with a license like the CC-BY or CC-BY-SA in a format like Markdown or even YAML.
I fully agree.

I do something similar here (though with another focus):

https://libremusicproduction.com/dev/release/about/
https://gitlab.com/SpotlightKid/qrpact#adding-a-release
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

OMG You realized my idea) While WIP I think that in Info block it's good to have various sources links with icons:
  • (c) Original page link
  • (o) Link to some distro repository if such package available
  • (d) Link to other distro repository if such package available
And suggestion about community feeding is good idea.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Very nice!

Initial off-the-cuff thoughts;

The title "database - linux music.rocks" could maybe be clearer. Yes it is a database, but it's like the "all or "front" or whatever page of the db.

Maybe the screenshot thumbnails could be a bit taller? And maybe a bit less whitespace around the type?

The screenshot on the actual plugin pages is rather small also.

Extra links to source repo, download release link, and distribution packages would be nice. Perhaps even if the DB could be queried by an API?

(Here's a related plugin manager project that doesn't do Linux yet)

The filter doesn't appear to be working atm?

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

Hi all, many thanks for checking website and providing feedback!

Ill try to reply to everyone
Basslint wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:05 pm Very nice idea, although I think it'd be better if the entries were crowdsourced somewhere like on a git repository with a license like the CC-BY or CC-BY-SA in a format like Markdown or even YAML.
There is already list on https://github.com/nodiscc/awesome-linuxaudio, as for mine structure it would be hard to format it as it is RDBS, i have tree structure using nested set so if you go into ie. dynamics you are seeing everything under this category, gate, compressors, limiters etc. also some plugins are nested in bundles or by developers (repro1 and repro5 are sold together).

But suggested by @milk API is easy to provide and shouldnt be that hard, as i could use django-rest-framework and expose database to everybody to query.

@milk, i will try to experiment with screen size, obviously without description plugin page is a little empty, it could also be changed, ill take a note about that. BTW That plugin manager you shared is awesome idea, i didnt seen it before. And as for the filter, did you check site on mobile or desktop? Ive found a bug on mobile version and hope to fix it in the coming days.

As for linux distro covers, i didnt wanted to focus on this at this moment, I myself am arch user and can query pacman and aur and check if plugin exists there.
I know for ubuntu/debian distros one would require to install another repo (ppa?) for example kxstudio repo or sth. Is there any global database which willl check every available repro and provide url to be installed for debian or redhat based linux distro?

As for community feeding, i was thinking about adding ability to rate/mark software as "owned/used".
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

occulkot wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 pm As for community feeding, i was thinking about adding ability to rate/mark software as "owned/used".
Hmm, I don't really know what benefit one would have from this information and I suspect it would out of date most of the time anyway.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This is superb. Thank you for taking the time to put all of this together occulkot.
listenable at c6a7.org
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Excellent idea. This will be very useful - thanks!

Btw, the filter doesn't work for me as well.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus