Tamgamp.lv2 - yet another guitar amplifier simulator

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

Tamgamp.lv2 - yet another guitar amplifier simulator

Post by sadko4u »

Hello all!

Let me introduce a result of some commercial project that I was involved within last ~3 months - Tamgamp.lv2 (pronounce it as "Damage Amp").

The project was aimed to develop an LV2 plugin which will simulate basic set of world-famous guitar amplifiers and which will
work in a commercial hardware solution. From a good side, this project allowed me to earn some thousands of $$ for a time
I've consumed working on it. So I want to apologize for some sluggish activity relative to the LSP Project at this time.

The key features of this project according to technical requirements were:
  • Simplicity of the interface, no UI (use generic one), minimum knobs/sliders.
  • Smooth bypass button.
  • Smooth switch between amplifier models.
  • Smooth switch between tone control chains.
  • Smooth knob control without pops and other sound artifacts which allows to apply automation to the plugin.
  • Normalized output level: different amplifiers should sound almost of the same output loudness with different gain settings.
Additionally, here's the basic set of amplifiers which was simulated:
  • Fender Princeton
  • Fender Twin Reverb
  • Mesa Dual Rectifier
  • Mesa DC3
  • Marshall JCM800
  • Peavey 5150
  • VOX AC-30
Finally, we got two plugins:
  • Tamgamp which was developed and tuned using a DK Builder tool from Guitarix project;
  • TamgampGX which uses original Guitarix chains but with some slight tunings.
Sadly but the Tamgamp.lv2 project has been closed by it's originator - Cyrus Adkisson - since he was unsatisfied by the final result he got.
From my side, I can not blame him since he's original customer and I'm just a salary man who worked on a contract, but according to my preferences, we got a better product than a reference Line 6 POD x3 processor. Even if the result is not 100% authentic, for me it sounds better than Line 6 solution if we combine the amplifier with some cabinet convolver like Impulse Responses Mono.

Anyway, according to our agreements, I am free to publish and reuse the source code but with removal of the original company name from sources due to potential conflict of using original brand names and trademarks (like Peavey, Marshall, etc) in the code base.

That's why I've created an additional GitHub repository and moved the code to it.

So, please enjoy this repository and tell what you're thinking about the final product we've got:

Tamgamp.lv2

Your opinion is very important.
Last edited by sadko4u on Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
tramp
Established Member

Re: Tamgamp.lv2 - yet another guitar amplifier simulator

Post by tramp »

sadko4u wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am Let me introduce a result of some commercial project that I was involved within last ~3 months - Tamgamp.lv2 (pronounce it as "Damage Amp").
Nice.
sadko4u wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am Sadly but the Tamgamp.lv2 project has been closed by it's originator - Cyrus Adkisson - since he was unsatisfied by the final result he got.
From my side, I can not blame him since he's original customer and I'm just a salary man who worked on a contract, but according to my preferences, we got a better product than a reference Line 6 POD x3 processor. Even if the result is not 100% authentic, for me it sounds better than Line 6 solution if we combine the amplifier with some cabinet convolver like Impulse Responses Mono.
Maybe it helps him when you add one of this cabinets:
https://www.hexefx.com/diy/tech/cabsims
so that no convolver is needed.
On the road again.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

This looks interesting. Is there anyway to have it build vst?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

This is quite promising!! I tried with the ownhammer IRs and this rocks!
Is it just a generic UI? This is now Guitarix in a plugin so to speak.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:01 pm This looks interesting. Is there anyway to have it build vst?
I believe currently no, since it's not a part of LSP suite.
According to the requirements, it was enough to be LV2 only, and so I did.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:47 pm Is it just a generic UI?
Yes, according to requirements it is generic UI only.
funkmuscle wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:47 pm This is now Guitarix in a plugin so to speak.
I believe @tramp can integrate the code into guitarix if he will have enough time.
gauderbock
Established Member

Post by gauderbock »

Loving this, thanks.
schtinky

Post by schtinky »

So hey this Cyrus, the guy who financed this project.

First, I just want to say SadKo is super smart, ultra hard-working and a pleasure to work with.

It wasn't that I thought we couldn't get to the promised land of spot-on amplifier simulations eventually, it was that I didn't think we could get there *within the budget and timeframe* I required for my project. That's nobody's fault. Just the reality of the complexity and workload. I found some workarounds that satisfied my immediate need and felt that this was something I could come back to later.

What project, you ask? Here's a quick demo I just shot with my consumer-grade camera equipment.

https://youtu.be/NMsmL19Y5jk

I'm looking for interested beta testers, so drop me a line at beta@thingamagig.com if you're interested. (There is a $150 fee just to make sure people are truly interested and not just going to strip it for parts.)

Anyway, thanks SadKo. Glad to see you put this out there for others to take advantage.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on the amps simulations, they sound and feel very good! They also make very low CPU usage, which is great! But unfortunately that comes at a price: the simulations are very slow. What I mean is that they feel like they introduce latency, you play but they don't respond fast. So bottom line that's my overall opinion, sound and feel real, but don't respond fast at all.

Thanks for sharing 👍👏 and congrats again!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

schtinky wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:34 pm So hey this Cyrus, the guy who financed this project.
Thank you! In the world of FLOSS we need Cyruses as much as we need Sadkos. :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
occulkot
Established Member

Post by occulkot »

quick test on some prerecorded guitar, but sounds awesome!
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Nice! Played with it a bit and I have a good feeling about it.

As for latency, not sure I could detect any notable extra delay.
Running jack at 128 buffers it was perfectly playable.

Is there a mapping though what amplifier each setting represents? Or do I have to look up the schematics? ;)

Thanks for all the work!
MusE DAW
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

spamatica wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:41 pm Is there a mapping though what amplifier each setting represents? Or do I have to look up the schematics? ;)
By default, all knobs/sliders are in middle position if they're not available on the main panel.
dan_flash
Established Member

Post by dan_flash »

Hi troops,

Holy thread resurrection and all that...!

Quick question, and apologies in advance for its nature - is anybody able to kindly provide a bit of guidance regarding building this plugin? I'm really keen to try it out but when I try build I get some errors, like;

In file included from tamgamp.cpp:24:
../../include/tamgamp.lv2/tamgamp.h:28:10: fatal error: lv2.h: No such file or directory
28 | #include <lv2.h>
| ~~~
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:40: /home/flash/Downloads/tamgamp.lv2-master/.build/src/tamgamp.lv2/tamgamp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/flash/Downloads/tamgamp.lv2-master/src/tamgamp.lv2'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:51: tamgamp.lv2] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/flash/Downloads/tamgamp.lv2-master/src'
make: *** [Makefile:111: compile] Error 2

It's been ages since I built anything from source so the problem is clearly between the keyboard and chair...

Distro is LMDE 5 i.e. Debian 11. I checked the dependencies in Synaptic and they're there.

Massive thanks in advance for your kind help :)

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

In the meantime, Guitarix and related plugins have been in heavy developement, if you start with
MetalTone.lv2, add gx_chorus.lv2, and most any delay and reverb, you'll have a good time.
No compiling needed.
Cheers