AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Post by GMaq »

@thetotalchaos

Thanks very much for taking the time to check that out and reply with your findings! There have been a lot more fixes and improvements and I'm hoping to upload another RC soon to find any last issues before the final release..
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Meanwhile the RC2 is not out, I recorded this attempt of simulating the JCM 800 using guitarix plugins with Avlinux RC1. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kyfev ... EyvMeYI5RN sounds and feels great to me :D . Can´t wait for the final release with the new kernel by trulan. THat will be wild!

THanks a lot again Glenn!

PS: I looked again but I couldn´t find linvst.so unfortunately, I don´t why it´s not at /usr/local/lib/vst. I´ll just wait for RC2 to see if it´s there.

Att.: Rodney
GordonS
Established Member

Post by GordonS »

GMaq wrote:
GordonS wrote:This is regarding supported hardware and is off topic here really, but I should post somewhere.

I use AVLinux with a touch-screen and a SoundCraft Ui24R and the combination all seems to work pretty flawlesly, subject too the screen being only single-touch.

The Ui24R works beautifully as a mixer for live work and also includes raw recording to USB drive (and possibly to a DAW, I think), so that I can record performances and then later mix-down using Mixbus. It works as a generic USB audio device, so just drops neatly into AVL via Jack, so I can also use it as a soundcard

I've been delighted with the whole setup.

Gordon.
Hi Gordon!

Nice to hear from you, glad you've got a setup that is working well. Can you tell me what the make and model of screen you're using is? I don't know of anyone using AVL in this way.

Thanks, Glen
Hi Glen,

Yes, of course. It's an IIyama ProLite T2452MTS, which I've owned for a few years now. The touch-screen part plugs into a USB port and works like a mouse. Touch accuracy might be a tiny bit out, but I just became used to it. It's only maybe 1/8 inch at the screen extremities may actually be more to do with my large fingers than the screen itself. These days I use my pinky in the corners and things feel OK.

Occasionally I forget the limitation and try to move faders on the Ui24R in pairs. I very quickly remember ... Doh! :-)
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

I tried to download twice ,to test in Virtualbox and couldn't install (systemback error) ,plus it was very slow.
Fortunately didn't spend much time because I checked the hash of the download and doesn't much .
Could you check it Glen ,or someone else plz?
MrEen

Post by MrEen »

Hi korakios.

I just downloaded the ISO and the sha256 matched. Maybe you're having Internet hiccups?
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

MrEen wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:31 am Hi korakios.

I just downloaded the ISO and the sha256 matched. Maybe you're having Internet hiccups?
Maybe, because today I tried again and it's ok now :)

Edit: It seems impossible to boot with UEFI in both hardware and virtualbox :(
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

korakios wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:15 pm
MrEen wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:31 am Hi korakios.

Maybe, because today I tried again and it's ok now :)

Edit: It seems impossible to boot with UEFI in both hardware and virtualbox :(
Hi,

I just built a brand new computer and the ISO boots in UEFI from Unetbootin and an install from the ISO booted up no problems with the default Gigabyte UEFI Utility settings... This is the first time I ever tried an AV Linux ISO on a new UEFI computer so I can say at least some UEFI machines work.. To be fair I haven't tried in my Virtualbox UEFI VM yet..

Do you have any error messages or anything to provide a clue to what is going on?

BTW a lot of things have been fixed and improved since RC-1, I have made no changes to Systemback or any of it's dependencies.
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

I tried to use dd for quick creating a usb live ,but my machine didn't like it.
Unetbootin works :)
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

RME HDSPmixer is missing? Is this intentional?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Yes, so many of the ALSA GUI's are of old and obsolete hardware I removed them because they create several rather hideous menu entries, I didn't think they were really necessary on the Live ISO.. They are of course available for installation after an install of AVL.
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

Fine and Thank you.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

For anyone following this thread:

A draft of the next User Manual has been uploaded for proofreaders, if you want to help out or are curious about what's coming in AV Linux 2020 have a look here: http://www.bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2020-DRAFT1.pdf
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

hi Glenn, when do you think the final version of av linux 2020 will be available ? :D Great news and Work !!!!

Gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi Gennaro!

I hope on or before April 10th, just finishing the last details.. :wink:
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

Glen,

I just wanted write to say thank you for the work that you have done and are continuing to do on AVLinux.

Your work has made it possible for me set up a DAW for myself and record my music.

Keep up the great work my brother and thank you again! You are much appreciated!!!

I am looking forward to the new release...!!!