[LAA] Noise repellent 0.1.5 is out!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

lucianodato
Established Member

[LAA] Noise repellent 0.1.5 is out!

Post by lucianodato »

Hi all, It's being a long time since I've been quite disconnected from this community but finally I've got some time to update the plugin and do a release

The big addition is that now I can provide binaries for most platforms with automated builds. Of course I didn't try them all since I don't have multiple boxes for that but let me know if you do and find troubles with it.

Release notes are in https://github.com/lucianodato/noise-repellent/releases

For those curious devs I've used Travis CI (linux and osx) and Appveyor (windows) to do so, my approach might get handy if you are trying to do the same for your plugins. Of course let me know if you have feedback on that regard.

Happy new year and thanks! :D
Arguy (IRC)
ufug
Established Member

Re: [LAA] Noise repellent 0.1.5 is out!

Post by ufug »

Congrats on a new release, Noise Repellent is pure gold.
listenable at c6a7.org
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Very useful plugin, especially for remixing old recordings
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Yeah! Nice to see some updates to this great tool! Is there a changelog somewhere? I don't see one on the git page. What are the biggest changes with this version?

Thank you for your work on this!
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Many thanks for your excellent software. I'm just getting to grips with it now, very useful.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
lucianodato
Established Member

Post by lucianodato »

milo wrote:Yeah! Nice to see some updates to this great tool! Is there a changelog somewhere? I don't see one on the git page. What are the biggest changes with this version?

Thank you for your work on this!
Sorry forgot to add them. Not much changes though just pipelining needed to keep growing.
Arguy (IRC)
kuacgraxa
Established Member

Post by kuacgraxa »

This is a great plugin :D
Janez
Established Member

Post by Janez »

This is actually exactly what I was looking for.
How can I get it into my debian/kxstudio system?
So far it does not seem to be hosted by kxstudio.

Is there a .deb download or a repository?

this maybe a bit of a noob question
I downloaded the "noise-repellent-0.1.5-linux-amd64.zip" file containing the nrepel.so and two .ttl files.
So where do I put those files and how do I register them?
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Janez wrote:So where do I put those files and how do I register them?
You just copy the "nrepel.lv2" directory, which is contained in the Zip archive as, a whole into ~/.lv2 (create the ~/.lv2, if it doesn't exist yet). Also, you need the fftw3 library installed.
Janez
Established Member

Post by Janez »

thanks for the quick response
the lv2 directory seems to be /usr/lib/lv2, so thats where I copied the folder
I also installed fftw3-static from the kxstudio repository
And the plugin did indeed show up in the plugin manager in Ardour. But it failed to initialize. The Ardour log says:

[ERROR]: LV2: Failed to instantiate plugin https://github.com/lucianodato/noise-repellent
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Please show the output of 'ldd /usr/lib/lv2/nrepel.lv2/nrepel.so'.
Janez
Established Member

Post by Janez »

/usr/lib/lv2/nrepel.lv2/nrepel.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/lib/lv2/nrepel.lv2/nrepel.so)
linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffeb451e000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f5c5d359000)
libfftw3f.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfftw3f.so.3 (0x00007f5c5cf4b000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f5c5cbac000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f5c5d866000)

GLIBC_2.27 is not in my repositories
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

It seems the binary build of noise repellent is not compatible with your system. You need to either try to compile it yourself from source (see readme at https://github.com/lucianodato/noise-repellent for instructions, but I'm not sure whether KXSTudio has all the necessary build tools), or ask the KXStudio maintainer (falktx) to include it in the package repository. He isn't active on this forum anymore, so you need to contact him by other means.
Janez
Established Member

Post by Janez »

Thanks a lot for your help.
So far I never needed to build anything myself, so I am completely inexperienced in that area.
FalkTX is doing an extremely impressive job with kxstudio. I already figured out that he is not around in this forum anymore, but I already found him.
There already was a package request from 2017, but apparently it didn´t happen. I will ask for it again, as this seems to be an awesome tool and it would be a perfect fit for kxstudio.
I was hoping to find a .deb package and maybe a few dependencies that could be easily installed.
I´ll look into the possibilty to build it myself, but thats new terretory
Thanks anyhow

PS: It just came to mind, that I am still on the oldstable version of Debian on that machine. I will give it another try on a laptop where I already have "buster" installed. This would be a good reason to finally upgrade, which I was reluctant to do because everything works so well on that machine.
But also on that laptop noise repellent is not available in the kxstudio repositories.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Compiling software is not as scary as it sounds. I am not a coder, but I managed to muck through the process from the instructions on Github. I wrote a little tutorial a few months ago where I described how the process deviated from the instructions a little bit for me (on Linux Mint 19). It was based on a previous version of Noise Repellent: https://alansanderson.band/2019/07/15/r ... me-studio/

Here is the relevant quote:
I had heard about this tool on a Linux audio forum, so I found its website and figured out how to install it. This was a little intimidating because it involved compiling software from source code, which I never do, but I decided to give it a try. Thankfully the process was relatively easy, once I got all of the dependencies in place. The install instructions on the website were adequate but not written for newbies, so I had to get some background on a few things before I knew how to do them.

Here is a quick tip for those of you who never compile software from source: I learned that you need to have the development packages of dependencies installed. Noise Repellant requires the Fastest Fourier Transformation in the West (fftw3), which was already installed on the system, but I kept getting a compile error that said fftw3 was unavailable. But once I installed the libfftw3-dev package the compile worked without a complaint. Also, the Meson build system was in the apt repository for my distro so I didn’t have to install through pip like the instructions on the Github page said.
At least try it before you give up.