JJazzLab, new free software to make backing tracks in a few minutes

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

jjazzboss
Established Member

JJazzLab, new free software to make backing tracks in a few minutes

Post by jjazzboss »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum... I'm the (hobbyist) developer of JJazzLab, a new free and open-source application to generate dynamic backing tracks very easily. It works on Linux, Win and Mac.

I thought this could be of interest to the members of this forum. I just released the application about 2 months ago so I'm very interested in getting users feedback.

You can see a short demo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80Wm6joYxs

There is also the GitHub page for developers. My next task is to add AI-based drums generation, to (try to! :wink: ) mimic what I saw in Logic X Pro drummer: using a X/Y widget to easily control the complexity/intensity of a rhythm loop. If there are developers here, I'd be happy to share experiences !

Jerome
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: JJazzLab, new free software to make backing tracks in a few minutes

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi Jerome! At a glance this looks pretty great, I hope to give it a try soon. I have a group of coworkers that sometimes play jazz during lunchtime, this might be a nice tool for us to use.

I took a quick look at the code, I thought it would be hilariously punny if it used the Swing gui library... sure enough, it does. :lol:

By any chance, is there any plan to get this to integrate with JACK midi/audio?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Seems a great app ! It loads fine but I can't actually remember how to route midi java to alsa or jack... I once knew but forget. Thanks for that anyway !
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

It loads fine but I can't actually remember how to route midi java to alsa or jack... I once knew but forget.
You need to install a virtual Midi driver :

Code: Select all

$ sudo modprobe snd-virmidi midi_devs=1
Then you should see a new 'Virtual Raw MIDI' port in the Midi device output list:

$ aconnect -lo
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 20: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0' [type=kernel,card=1]
    0 'VirMIDI 1-0
Now in JJazzLab menu Tools/Options/Midi you can select the first VirMIDI in the Midi OUT device list. (hit the refresh button if required).

Finally you need to connect the virtual Midi device to a software synth. In the example below I have a FLUID synth server running, which is shown as client 128:

$ aconnect -lo
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 20: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0' [type=kernel,card=1]
    0 'VirMIDI 1-0     '
client 128: 'FLUID Synth (Qsynth1)' [type=user,pid=3099]
    0 'Synth input port (Qsynth1:0)'
So I type:

$ aconnect 20:0 128:0
Now if you play a song in JJazzLab it will be rendered by the FLUID synth.

Hope this helps.
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

#Stanlea
I forgot to add that if you select the default Java Internal Synth as the JJazzLab output, it can directly load a .sf2 soundfont file (button Load at the bottom of the dialog). In this case you don't need a Midi virtual driver at all.
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

By any chance, is there any plan to get this to integrate with JACK midi/audio?
JJazzLab is designed to run on Linux but also on Win and Mac, so I try to not put things too specific to one OS. With a virtual Midi port (see my previous answer) you should be able to connect JJazzLab to any software synth, including VST instruments.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I've got this up and running on Arch Linux using Fluidsynth and a GM soundfont from here :

https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

It's very good! I've used iRealPro quite a lot and this is better. Being able to put kicks in and having each repeat slightly different is great.

I'm fine with the command line but the MIDI setup may leave some users scratching their heads. I'd like the option of a dark theme to fit in with the rest of my system.

Thanks, and good job!
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

merlyn wrote:I've got this up and running on Arch Linux using Fluidsynth and a GM soundfont from here :

https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
Merlyn, do you have a PKGBUILD by any chance? :)
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

No, I used the zip file from the website.

@milk could be the man for putting a PKGBUILD together. ;)
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

Thanks for the feedback and for the sounfont4u website, did not know about it :D

Like iRealPro I'd like JJazzLab to embed its own sounds. At least beginners would not have to deal with Midi, and this would ensure consistent rendering for everybody. But that's not an easy task and I don't have much knowledge on this domain. Any advice welcome !
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

I can do it myself but time's a little tight at the moment. Saying that, it shouldn't take that long, I'll have a look. Thanks.

Edit: Would be easy to drop it in /opt "as is" but then it just runs "as is" anyway, so little point at the moment.

p.s. great bit of software, thanks dev :)
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

merlyn wrote:@milk could be the man for putting a PKGBUILD together. ;)
Heh, I'm one of those non-binary folk, but I'd be interested in helping with making a soundfont available in the AUR. I created the soundfonts-aur-meta package to install all the available soundfonts in the AUR.

Problem is though that Google Drive hosted files, AFAIK, don't have a permanent url, and require the user to click on the button on the page. soundfont-toh is currently broken because of this very reason. I contacted the web admin for the author of ToH six months ago and again last week but there's a no distribution without permission copyright message. Maybe if the soundfont you are interested in allows distribution and could be uploaded to archive.org?

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Just for clarification - I meant a PKGBUILD for JJazzLab, not the soundfont. I'm using the FluidR3 soundfont from the repos :)
SirAmpersand
Established Member

Post by SirAmpersand »

!!! BRILLIANT TOOL !!! for learning and training your voice or instrument

Was setup in under 5 min ! :shock:
Works super stable, no crash, no freeze ... :)
Very easy to handle (after watching the subtitles in the 15 min video) :D
2593 Songs from the Real Book downloaded and installed in 3 clicks (There Could be more pop and rock standards but I didnt search/find the internet resources yet - i am sure there is out more) 8)
Many Styles on board which are expandable what is not necessary for the first time IMO
Also available for Win and Mac (e.g. for my bandmates who are too weak for linux :wink: )
Developement ist just in the beginning! - so maybe it will be even improved (e.g. chartprinting, leadshed window size/wrap or melody syncronisation)

Honestly I cant stop flattering because I have been waiting very long for a tool like that on Linux!
Great work - perfectly implemented.
Thank You JJazzboss :!:
Fender 95 Jazz Bass 5 String, TL Audio Fat2, FocusriteSaffire, LMK3+, SamsonGraphite M25,
KX STUDIO, Ardour, Musescore, Hydrogen, Qmidiarp, Seq24, Yoshimi, Qsynth, ZynaddSubFX, Frescobaldi , SuperCollider, Arduino+Mididings ... I love 2 play and learn !
jjazzboss
Established Member

Post by jjazzboss »

@SirAmpersand

Thank you so much :oops: If you like JJazzLab don't hesitate to post links on your blogs, social networks, suscribe to the YouTube channel, participate to the jjazzlab users forum...

Yes a new version is coming soon, with much better sounds (via a custom JJazzLab soundfont) and a better rendering of Yamaha styles.