[ANN] New Wavetable Synth: "Vital"

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

TAERSH
Established Member

Re: [ANN] New Open Source Wavetable Synth: "Vital"

Post by TAERSH »

My distro is my own build, Ubuntu based.
I have it all:

- /root/.local/share/vital
- /root/.vital/Vital.config

Code: Select all

{"authenticated":true,"data_directory":"/root/.local/share/vital","synth_version":"1.0.3"}
Each time opening the GUI -no matter if stand alone or plugin- still requires a login.
Even switching the plugin from e.g. LV2 to VST requires a login.

Running from terminal gives a warning:

WARNING: Secret lookup failed, please make sure libsecret is installed
Though, I have libsecret installed in complete.
Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 7180 times
I made a topic on its forum about the problem.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Haha, these Guys / this community are / is as crappy as the synthesizer seems to be. Here's the message that I left in their forum:
Hi.

I downloaded Vital free version, both, .deb package and .zip archive. Each timer after closing my Sequencer program I need to log in. Vital refuses to be used without being online and to login for each new sessions. Trying .deb and / or the .zip version doesn’t make any difference.

Why in the hell do I need to be online and to login, to use a Software Synthesizer?
Are you trying to steal my ideas / compositions?

This is crap in high performance!
And this is the answer I got:
Hello,

This is an automated message from Vital to let you know that your post was hidden.

https://forum.vital.audio/t/vital-synth ... rap/1583/1

Your post was flagged as inappropriate: the community feels it is offensive, abusive, or a violation of our community guidelines.

This post was hidden due to flags from the community, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.

However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff.

For additional guidance, please refer to our community guidelines.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Donwloaded the last version (1.0.3 i think) and after the first login isn't asking anymore when i restart the plugin, at least for now. :?

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I got 1.0.3 also.
Try to close the sequencer program, restart it and choose to use Vital again...
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 pm Haha, these Guys / this community are / is as crappy as the synthesizer seems to be.
Well, the way your post was worded I'm not that surprised they're not interested in dealing with it...

I'm sure having to log in each time is unintended behavior (especially since I haven't heard it reported by anyone else yet).

That said, introducing such features to software increases its complexity and (as we see) potential for problems. The software not being open source (yet?) makes it hard to diagnose and fix the problem. Those are 2 reasons I generally prefer FLOSS.

The open source 'helm' synth by the same author seems really interesting though!
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

What's exactly the wording in my post at their forum that you mean would make them not willing to deal with?
If something acts like crap -as the synth is doing- etc.pp., it might be crap!

It's a movement one can see happen all around the web. Look at YouTube, Facebook, Ebay, Amazon etc. or what else comes in mind: criticism is not welcome any longer and all around, even if it misses some harsh words. We are on our way into an ugly world where only smileys and thumbs up are going to be accepted. Anything else is going to be suppressed and / or removed.

By the way, there's another post about Vital on this here forum, where another user has/had this problem. No matter what I tried, it remains to behave that way. So, I call such things crap! And, of course, I know HELM, which is heavily buggy and sequentially crashing. That's why I'm not using it.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:22 pm What's exactly the wording in my post at their forum that you mean would make them not willing to deal with?
Well, basically all of:
TAERSH wrote: Why in the hell do I need to be online and to login, to use a Software Synthesizer?
Are you trying to steal my ideas / compositions?

This is crap in high performance!
TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:22 pm If something acts like crap -as the synth is doing- etc.pp., it might be crap!
It definitely might be! Perhaps let's take a step back: why did you post in the first place? Did you want to be helped, or did you just want to complain?
TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:22 pm It's a movement one can see happen all around the web. Look at YouTube, Facebook, Ebay, Amazon etc. or what else comes in mind: criticism is not welcome any longer and all around
On the other hand, I also see a trend were people feel entitled to act like angry customers towards everyone around them (even volunteers!), and then expect to be treated like royalty and thanked for it. I don't think that has ever made sense, and I'm kind of OK with it that we're not putting up with that so readily anymore.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Perhaps let's take a step back: why did you post in the first place? Did you want to be helped, or did you just want to complain?
So, you think, people complaining about weird / stupid software problems definitely are not worth to get any help?
Well, then...
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 pm
Your post was flagged as inappropriate: the community feels it is offensive, abusive, or a violation of our community guidelines.
If you use words hell and crap, automatic systems may hide your post. If you want to be heard, use proper, neutral language. If it does not matter to you, feel free to continue ranting.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

So, "Hell" and "Crap" is defined as hate speech!
Good to know! :lol:
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:41 pm
Perhaps let's take a step back: why did you post in the first place? Did you want to be helped, or did you just want to complain?
So, you think, people complaining about weird / stupid software problems definitely are not worth to get any help?
Stop putting words into my mouth, that is not what I said.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

@TAERSH

- /root/.local/share/vital
I don't know if that's the cause or a part of but I wonder why your plugin config et al are in the /root/ path tree?
Have you had a try as a real user and not as a lord of thunder?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

well, it's not "Free" nor it's "Open Source" either, please

until further notice, stop calling it that.

and if you really wish to get this onto the FLOSS-side, please try to be polite, and humble as you can, to the vendor; otherwise we only get the same old bad status quo.

byee
tramp
Established Member

Re: [ANN] New Wavetable Synth: "Vital"

Post by tramp »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:22 pm What's exactly the wording in my post at their forum that you mean would make them not willing to deal with?
When you come into a house, and start a conversation with an allegation that the Residents have criminal intends, it will surly not help to break the ice.
TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 pm Are you trying to steal my ideas / compositions?
If you come in a house and tell the Residents that this house is crap, do you wonder when they show you the door and ask you to leave the house?
TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 pm This is crap in high performance!
On the road again.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

raboof wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:58 pm
TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:41 pm
Stop putting words into my mouth, that is not what I said.
But that's how it sounds. Assuming I just wanted to complain there's no need to give help to the problem! :wink: