[ANN] New Wavetable Synth: "Vital"

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

TAERSH
Established Member

Re: [ANN] New Wavetable Synth: "Vital"

Post by TAERSH »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:59 pm @TAERSH

Code: Select all

- /root/.local/share/vital
I don't know if that's the cause or a part of but I wonder why your plugin config et al are in the /root/ path tree?
Have you had a try as a real user and not as a lord of thunder?
I'm generally running all my Operating Systems as root!
Running as user -imho- is crap! :wink:
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

tramp wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:55 pmIf you come in a house and tell the Residents that this house is crap, do you wonder when they show you the door and ask you to leave the house?
They did not ask me to leave the house.
Though, I asked to remove my account.
Done! :wink: :lol:

I don't have time to work on/with programs that couldn't provide simple solutions like its use without being online repeatedly.

Take a look at the free U-HE software/plugins. Download, install and use without any problems. :)

This guy knows what he's doing.

I never complained about anything at him or at his software.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

You don't need to be online It's a bug that the prompt appears. Until it's fixed, just click elsewhere in the window and the prompt disappears.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:51 pm
Loki Harfagr wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:59 pm @TAERSH

Code: Select all

- /root/.local/share/vital
I don't know if that's the cause or a part of but I wonder why your plugin config et al are in the /root/ path tree?
Have you had a try as a real user and not as a lord of thunder?
I'm generally running all my Operating Systems as root!
Running as user -imho- is crap! :wink:
Well, I was not questioning if it added an unholy carnal fumet to your rep (though at least running fully as root gives a really solid background to the desire of not having external applications having access to the network :wink: ;-) ).
I was simply asking if at least you had had any try at it as a simple user, just for the sake of having a clue or having things done or not; and not at all to summon you to embrass some puny smelling new order :)
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

rncbc wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:33 pm well, it's not "Free" nor it's "Open Source" either, please

until further notice, stop calling it that.
Yeah, that would make sense - @Audiojunkie could you update the title of this thread? (I can also take care of it if you don't mind)
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:25 amI was simply asking if at least you had had any try at it as a simple user, just for the sake of having a clue or having things done or not; and not at all to summon you to embrass some puny smelling new order :)
I'm not sure if it is possible to boot into my system by being a user. Simply I don't know how to do this, as it boots straight into the graphical desktop as root. My Operating System is completely different to all Operating Systems in the world. It is absolutely unique and I'm the only person who runs it - except my girlfriend, who is running an older version.

I'm working on different computers at different locations with that system. At home it is installed to internal hard disk. On all the other computers I'm running this system either from external USB hard disk drive or by USB flash drive. None of those computers are multi user computers. So, there's simply absolutely no need to boot as a average user.

Just to mention how different it is and how smart: when removing all .so files from e.g. /lib or /usr/lib all of your operating systems would be gone. No way to rescue, except by doing a new installation. I'm just hitting the reset button on the computer and it boots straight up, just like a new install.

This system only could be destroyed by formatting the installation drive. If that would happen, I have multiple backups, so making the partition again bootable, installing a boot loader, copying a backup over and I'm ready to work. Takes a few minutes only!
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

TAERSH wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:55 pm
Loki Harfagr wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:25 amI was simply asking if at least you had had any try at it as a simple user, just for the sake of having a clue or having things done or not; and not at all to summon you to embrass some puny smelling new order :)
I'm not sure if it is possible to boot into my system by being a user. Simply I don't know how to do this, as it boots straight into the graphical desktop as root. My Operating System is completely different to all Operating Systems in the world. It is absolutely unique and I'm the only person who runs it - except my girlfriend, who is running an older version.

I'm working on different computers at different locations with that system. At home it is installed to internal hard disk. On all the other computers I'm running this system either from external USB hard disk drive or by USB flash drive. None of those computers are multi user computers. So, there's simply absolutely no need to boot as a average user.

Just to mention how different it is and how smart: when removing all .so files from e.g. /lib or /usr/lib all of your operating systems would be gone. No way to rescue, except by doing a new installation. I'm just hitting the reset button on the computer and it boots straight up, just like a new install.

This system only could be destroyed by formatting the installation drive. If that would happen, I have multiple backups, so making the partition again bootable, installing a boot loader, copying a backup over and I'm ready to work. Takes a few minutes only!
Again I'm not, and were not, questioning the transcendence of your installation nor begging to know about the flubberghasting greatness of your OS and it makes me very happy for you that it is that good especially since now we know your OS is very smart she'll might be able to help you read the question asked and either answer it or not but never even lose any time to questions never asked with answers certainly smart but either unreal or unnecessary vain :)
Paree
Established Member

Post by Paree »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:58 pm I don't have time to work on/with programs that couldn't provide simple solutions like its use without being online repeatedly.
You DON'T NEED TO BE ONLINE. Its currently a bug that asks you to log in but you can simply click outside the prompt and it'll close.

And regarding why you need to log in, Vital is a commercial synth with a free (as in beer) version adn It'll check your account to see what version you are running and to download content.

NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN STEALING YOUR COMPOSITION.

If you are the only person running an operating system, it doesn't make sense to support it.

Also, im typing some lines in all caps so that you can read it and not miss it like you did with the other person who pointed this out.

There is an old saying in my language which roughly translates to "If you can't dance, don't blame the dancefloor".

And i'd like to tell you that IT IS BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT MANY DEVELOPERS HESITATE TO PORT THEIR SOFTWARE TO LINUX.
Keep your elitism low.

I'm also pretty sure Matt'll open source this project once he recieves enough support, he spent 3 years working on this, he needs to eat food as well.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:16 pmAgain I'm not, and were not, questioning the transcendence of your installation nor begging to know about the flubberghasting greatness of your OS and it makes me very happy for you that it is that good especially since now we know your OS is very smart she'll might be able to help you read the question asked and either answer it or not but never even lose any time to questions never asked with answers certainly smart but either unreal or unnecessary vain :)
I answered your question!
Perhaps you just didn't noticed it caused by my additional information?
TAERSH wrote:I'm not sure if it is possible to boot into my system by being a user. Simply I don't know how to do this, as it boots straight into the graphical desktop as root.
So, since I don't know how to boot as an average user, of course, I couldn't have
had any try at it as a simple user, just for the sake of having a clue or having things done or not;
:idea: :wink:

Got it now?
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Paree wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:12 pm You DON'T NEED TO BE ONLINE. Its currently a bug that asks you to log in but you can simply click outside the prompt and it'll close.
...snippet...
Also, im typing some lines in all caps so that you can read it and not miss it like you did with the other person who pointed this out.
No, I didn't miss that information. I'm simply not interested any longer in this software synthesizer. It has only a few interesting sounds which I already sampled and created a .sf2 file from it. I removed that synth already from my OS and asked them to remove my account. This has happened also. So, since I'm not longer interested in that software synthesizer, I felt no need to reply to @Largos reply. By not replying to a post doesn't mean necessarily one missed it. :wink:

Though, thanks to both of you for pointing out, that it seems to be a bug. To me, of course it doesn't look like a bug. It looks more like some bad idea of a synth's feature during its development. Especially since it is missing a hint to the user to just to click somewhere outside the prompt. At least making it disappear by hitting the Escape key on the keyboard should be implemented. Though, it isn't.

So, I prefer the U-HE synths, as this guy doesn't only know what he's doing. He also knows how to avoid annoying potential users! :wink:
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

TAERSH wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:15 pm
So, I prefer the U-HE synths, as this guy doesn't only know what he's doing. He also knows how to avoid annoying potential users! :wink:
As a potential user I find U-HE's lack of support for ARM cpu's annoying.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I don't know much about ARM CPU, except that it has a reduced instruction set for computing and is used mostly in portable devices.
Perhaps that's exactly the problem?

I never would use any portable device to make music on it.
No matter if Intel, AMD or ARM CPU built in.
I'm hooked to the desktop PC since I had my first Atari ST computer.
And I like using a mouse.

Yes, I'm old-fashioned in many ways. :wink:
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

That's a great synth, very easy set up for midi controllers. Thank you guys!
toomuchofthat

Post by toomuchofthat »

Hi everybody,

That synth is really great. I have used it a bit and it is really a nice easy-to-program-but-deep synth, great sounding and all.

I was wondering, with it having a linux compatible version does someone know if that means that it could run on some kind of raspberry?
I would love to be able to integrate that synth in a small box with a few knobs for macros, a MIDI IN, and audio out.

Have a good day!
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

toomuchofthat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 pm I was wondering, with it having a linux compatible version does someone know if that means that it could run on some kind of raspberry?
Since it's not currently open source, it won't run on a 'regular' raspberry pi since that needs the software to be compiled for the ARM processor architecture and I assume Vital binaries aren't published for that (though I could be wrong of course)